Im in Australia now - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 11th September 2010, 03:39 AM

amaslam has a reputation beyond reputeamaslam has a reputation beyond reputeamaslam has a reputation beyond reputeamaslam has a reputation beyond reputeamaslam has a reputation beyond reputeamaslam has a reputation beyond reputeamaslam has a reputation beyond reputeamaslam has a reputation beyond reputeamaslam has a reputation beyond reputeamaslam has a reputation beyond reputeamaslam has a reputation beyond repute
41 likes received
2 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in australia.

Hi:

Thanks for sharing and Happy Birthday

Loneliness happens to many expats as they miss the familiar things from home (mainly family and food).

I can't help you with S. African food, but this place in MEL has a good review:
Nyala African Restaurant 131 Brunswick St, Fitzroy VIC 3065 (03) 9419 9128

See if you can get out there this weekend and help fight away some of the loneliness with some food.

Some people make their first friends through volunteer work or churches so that's a place to start looking for some friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munyaradzi View Post
Hi,

I used this forum a lot 2 months ago whilst trying to get info about australia and moving here. Im glad to say the infrmation i got from this forum helped me so much. I got to melbourne a month ago and am slowly settling in. Work has started full on and the people are wonderful and very friendly. Moving from zimbabwe, the weather here was very very cold for my liking i always had to ask for extra blankets at the hotel. Winter is almost over now so its getting better. The costs are generally high here. Lunch is normally $10 here...but ofcourse people have the option of bringing in their lunch from home. I was used to buying a meal for under $5. haha. Rent is also very expensive here. I didnt want to share with anyone (which is the cheaper option). Rent is charged weekly though people pay monthly. THere is always something to do at the weekends.
I get really lonely at times and that makes me want to go back to zimbabwe. I have made friends here but its just different. I miss home so so so much. Today is my birthday and i have no one to hang with or celebrate it with. All i can do is call home...its driving me crazy. I guess i will have to make more friends and actually work on the relationships. moving to a different place is really hard. Its tolling emotionally...but im sure i will be fine. Other than that, melbourne is a great place. Lots of activities to do...art fares, exhibitions, plays, site seeng etc. You will love it. thanks again for everyone who helped me. Particularly CNF.

CNF - Where can i get south african restaurant? I went into the city looking for one last night and could not find a single one. i miss home so much.