Retiring to Abruzzo region - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 8th April 2014, 02:14 PM

NickZ has a reputation beyond reputeNickZ has a reputation beyond reputeNickZ has a reputation beyond reputeNickZ has a reputation beyond reputeNickZ has a reputation beyond reputeNickZ has a reputation beyond reputeNickZ has a reputation beyond reputeNickZ has a reputation beyond reputeNickZ has a reputation beyond reputeNickZ has a reputation beyond reputeNickZ has a reputation beyond repute
525 likes received
48 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from canada. Users Flag! Expat in italy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerFairy5457 View Post
Thanks BBCWatcher, I appreciate the sentiment but I am hoping not to live in a suburb. As I am of course 'ignorant' of real life in Italy and as I assume we would be choosing say a place like Introdacqua I am unsure if one would be affected by hunters and their barbaric pastime in that kind of village/town. We had in fact moved our search across to Tuscany/Umbria (in particular Bagni di Lucca and/or Barga) but I think from what little I can gather, that would not be the place for us - though I could be wrong. Being 99% vegetarian we need a region where the food is more the classic Mediterranean rather than 99% carnivore.

Depends on what you mean by rural/urban. In most small towns the hunting won't be that far from the homes. Around here it's not unusual to hear the dogs and shooting when out for a walk.

The other thing. This time of year of course it's roast lamb time. Many towns will have festa cinghiale (wild boar festival). Come autumn many of your neighbours will slaughter a hog to make various products. Most people living in the countryside keep chickens and rabbits at least. Some keep turkeys and even geese.