Any expats in Donostia San Sebastian? - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 7th March 2014, 07:09 PM

213979 has a reputation beyond repute213979 has a reputation beyond repute213979 has a reputation beyond repute213979 has a reputation beyond repute213979 has a reputation beyond repute213979 has a reputation beyond repute213979 has a reputation beyond repute213979 has a reputation beyond repute213979 has a reputation beyond repute213979 has a reputation beyond repute213979 has a reputation beyond repute
659 likes received
775 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky Wesky View Post
My inlaws, all of them except one of my husband's uncle's live in the Basque country (and when we get together there are at least 40 of us ) and my MIL lives in Bilbao so we go often, but not to SS.
I have been places where they were a "bit stand offish" with people who didn't speak Basque namely Guernika and Bermeo. Perhaps it's because I was with non Basque speaking Basques. I don't ever find it an issue in Bilbao, even though there are people who prefer that you speak Basque; the majority are still non Basque speaking. They are a hospitable people in general...
Personally I don't find SS particularly attractive nor interesting and prefer other places along the coast there, but most people love it so it must have something
For my OH's and my joint bachelor/bachelorette party, our friends dressed us up as sevillanas and paraded us around Bermeo.* I thought that, for sure, someone was going to give us a hard time. However, people just laughed. I've found we get dirtier looks in the really small towns.

*This might be due to the fact OH is quite espaņolista and his friends tend to be PNV/Bildu-leaning.