Any expats in Donostia San Sebastian? - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 7th March 2014, 02:05 PM

Location: Near Madrid. Frequent visitor to Bilbao, love Asturias and Burgos
Pesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond repute
9945 likes received
9710 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn R View Post
We're at the other end of the country altogether, but I quite envy you. San Sebastian is probably the loveliest place I've visited in Spain (so far anyway!) and I'm sure life there will be wonderful. Only potential downsides as far as I could see would be the weather (make sure to bring your brollies and wellies) and I imagine it gets very crowded in July and August as it's a very, very popular holiday destination for better-off Spaniards.

I had wondered before I visited if the Basque language would be an issue in that they might be a bit standoffish with people speaking Spanish, but all the local people we met and spoke to were delightful. Particularly the two ladies we chatted with in a restaurant who had brought their 100 year old mother out for lunch (hope I'm still able to do that if I reach that age - she didn't speak but certainly looked to be enjoying her food) and the old chap who veritably talked the hind leg off the proverbial donkey most of the train journey back to Bilbao!
My inlaws, all of them except one of my husband's uncle's live in the Basque country (and when we get together there are at least 40 of us ) and my MIL lives in Bilbao so we go often, but not to SS.
I have been places where they were a "bit stand offish" with people who didn't speak Basque namely Guernika and Bermeo. Perhaps it's because I was with non Basque speaking Basques. I don't ever find it an issue in Bilbao, even though there are people who prefer that you speak Basque; the majority are still non Basque speaking. They are a hospitable people in general...
Personally I don't find SS particularly attractive nor interesting and prefer other places along the coast there, but most people love it so it must have something