Salary and offer/package questions - Part 2 - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 4th March 2014, 08:23 AM

TallyHo has a reputation beyond reputeTallyHo has a reputation beyond reputeTallyHo has a reputation beyond reputeTallyHo has a reputation beyond reputeTallyHo has a reputation beyond reputeTallyHo has a reputation beyond reputeTallyHo has a reputation beyond reputeTallyHo has a reputation beyond reputeTallyHo has a reputation beyond reputeTallyHo has a reputation beyond reputeTallyHo has a reputation beyond repute
1053 likes received
79 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in uae.

One should always negotiate, but in your case I don't think you'll be able to negotiate up to a livable package.

The issue is that it's a media company, a locally owned media company, and odds are it's dominated by people from Lebanon or elsewhere in the Middle East where the offer made to you is a fortune.

Companies in Dubai vary enormously in packages offered and it's largely because of the types of companies we have here, which run from western owned multinationals to small locally owned two-man outfits in a free zone. The multinationals and the big local monopolies can pay very well, the locally owned small companies, less so, and are often more likely than not to stiff you on agreed benefits. Incomes also vary wildly for the same roles and is often dependent on your nationality.

If I had a family with children I would never move here to to head a small locally owned company that I didn't own, especially on the package offer you received, unless I knew the company intimately and was very comfortable with the current team and owners. Otherwise it's way too risky as there's little in the way of employee rights. One bad quarter, you could be out on your ears and yet you've uprooted your family and moved all the way from Canada. You'd be surprised at how many people leave Dubai with less money than they'd arrived with.

You may be from Canada but this is the wild, wild west!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamRus View Post
Curious - is it 'EXPECTED' to negotiate a package from a Dubai company? Obviously I would always negotiate an offer, but curious if there is a cultural thing here for Dubai and negotiating business?

I've heard everything in UAE is negotiated, which I'm not a fan being Canadian. But specific to the employment package, I'm curious from locals what the business sentiment is around negotiating packages? Common, absolutely expect, etc.

Just noting I received a package offer from a dubai local company, after weeks of interviews, the package offer was shocking low, which as a Canadian I first become insulted! In Canada, while there is some negotiating, its generally expected business is a win-win and a fair offer is usually placed first, not a dirt low offer...but then again, I question is this a common practice in Dubai to negotiate in business where the 'expectation' is the first offer will be far to one side?

Locals? Thoughts?

Last edited by TallyHo; 4th March 2014 at 08:26 AM.