Security in Schools- Lyon area schools - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 2nd June 2010, 05:39 AM

DonD is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default Lax attitude to 'bullying' in French primary school

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogblogger View Post
Well put, that sums up my experience of schools my kids have attended in different areas of France.
Picking up on the sub-topic, the comments about the real risks being from other pupils and the lax response of the school staff: We are seeing the same thing. Our 4-year old has been at school here since Sept. last year. He has done really well at grasping the language and is a quiet and studious child. On occasions he has come home talking about being kicked or pushed. Occasionally he has had bruises, but all children get those themselves. I drop him at school and pick him up each evening. He is very popular with all the children in his class - however the same name keeps coming up as the culprit! I have spoken with other parents, both French and ex-pat (not many of us) and the same name occurs. He is even known locally as '***** the kicker'. I have seen this myself and had to intervene and distract the child. The staff just ignored it.

Our 3-year old starts at this year's reentree and I heard our son telling her that if '*****' comes towards her, she is to run away and he will chase him away! This is a very strange attitude from the school - to let the very young children manage this.

I guess it is cultural. Is this the trade-off for a class of 16 children with 2 teachers here in France versus the UK with 30+ children and a harassed over-worked teacher but a process to detect and address bullying?

Bienvenue a France. Bon journee.