Where to live - or not to live in NZ - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 5th February 2010, 09:02 AM

topcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond repute
276 likes received
208 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacca View Post
Insights, opinions and/or advice would be appreciated.

I am an Australian citizen whilst my partner is a Canadian citizen. At this stage I think we have the visa issue worked out as there are several options available to us. We are planning to move from Canada to NZ at the end of the school year, probably around July August 2010.

Our two biggest issues are where to find work and where shall we live. We both realise that Auckland and to a lesser extent Wellington offer the best paid jobs and opportunities.

But we do not want to swap being stuck in traffic and commuting to work in Canada to doing the same thing in NZ. Ideally we would like to live on a parcel of land, near the water or mountains. A lifestyle we probably can't afford in Auckland.

I am keen on Dunedin or Invercargill and perhaps Christchurch. There are some lovely houses in those localities at a reasonable cost.

My partner is s senior HR executive and her career will take precedence.

Any suggestions where to live in NZ, including the less expensive suburbs in Auckland would be greatly appreciated.
Look to the South-East of Auckland - round Clevedon and Hunua. Or Silverdale, to the north. Beautiful coultryside and a reasonable distance to commute to the centre.