Relocate to PH - questions here - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 8th November 2013, 02:39 PM

jon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond repute
1249 likes received
431 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpowers_colo View Post

1. We are getting rid of everything we have in the US. We will take 2 weeks of clothes and just replace everything upon arrival. Is there anything, her or I, should bring in clothes that we should bring over buying local? Like Jet said, westerner size clothing is hard to find, bring what you needWe are packing shorts & light shirts, sandals, and sneakers. I would bring some pants/jeans also. You need them when you go to Immigration or the Embassy.

2. When you guys left did you get there and say, "damn, i wish i would have brought..."

Nothing for me.. Remember to bring any medications that you require. They may not be available over here. Everything else that is over the counter can be had.

3. We plan to each take 1 laptop and 1 ipad each. Just fine? I think that should work just fine. Bring your software with you too. Make sure any electronic devices you bring are 110-240V. Bring a good power strip (rated for up to 240V) that is fuse protected and provides surge protection. Invest in some good VPN software to protect your online transactions.

4. Is there anything we should stock up on and bring? Depends on what you can't live without. Make sure you bring your checkbook for banking. Get a VOIP phone number (Magic Jack/Skype) and associate it with your bank/credit card accounts.

5. How should we do our banking? We are thinking keep our US accounts and maybe open a local account when we arrive. How did you guys deal with it? Is there a BOA? A chase? Or other american bank there? Keep your US Bank accounts (PI banks only insure to 500,000p (approx $12000)). Open a local US $ account. Transfer money via writing yourself a check (no charge, takes 28 days to clear locally). I have seen Citibank over here (in Manila). You also need to notify your banks (online banking accounts and credit card accounts) that you will be over here for an extended time. Otherwise your transactions will be denied and it's a major PITA to get rectified.

6. Is it important to keep a US address? We will probably sell our house. What did you do?
It is for your US Bank accounts. I have a US address in Florida via a friend. I also have a FPO address (via the local RAO in Baloy) for billing address and letter mail. Go paperless/electronic on all bills and financial accounts.

here is my .02 ...