Moving to Larissa, Greece - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:14 PM

mariek is on a distinguished road
3 likes received
1 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in greece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanUSDaveK. View Post
I am originally from Canada and living in Columbus, Ohio and now moving to Larissa. Other than all the standard info I was wondering if anyone could give me the inside details of things to bring and what to put in storage. Will be living there for 3 years...any help would be great. I am not sure of what to expect for renting a home and local details. Can anyone help?
Hello,
I'm from the US and I have been living in Larisa for about 8 months now. I didn't bring much with me so I can't be too helpful regarding shipping however I would think that shipping furniture would almost be more hassle and expense than it is worth. Especially if you are only going to be here for 3 years. I left all of my furniture in the US so I would be set when/if I return. That said, they just opened up an IKEA outside of town so most things that you may need can be purchased fairly inexpensively.

As far as housing in Larisa goes, those apartments closer to the city center are a tad more expensive . . 300-400 for a one bedroom. I live outside of the center but walk into town most everyday . . which takes 25 minutes so not far. Apartments in my area, which is quite nice, are a tad less . . . 250 a month, just because we are outside the center. However, you can find a place to park at anytime which isn't always possible in the center.

Other than that, the city itself isn't spectacular but it is situated nicely. The sea is a 30 minute drive as are the mountains. It has definitely grown on me. There is less English spoken here than you would find in Athens or Thessaloniki so learning at least some Greek is going to be very beneficial.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.
Marie