Help! Denied Tourist Visa at Thai embassy in Singapore - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 14th October 2013, 09:30 AM

Song_Si has a reputation beyond reputeSong_Si has a reputation beyond reputeSong_Si has a reputation beyond reputeSong_Si has a reputation beyond reputeSong_Si has a reputation beyond reputeSong_Si has a reputation beyond reputeSong_Si has a reputation beyond reputeSong_Si has a reputation beyond reputeSong_Si has a reputation beyond reputeSong_Si has a reputation beyond reputeSong_Si has a reputation beyond repute
242 likes received
269 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from newzealand. Users Flag! Expat in thailand.

Singapore has long had a reputation as the most difficult place in Asia to get a Tourist Visa.
Have only been there once (successful) and encountered a Mrs xxxx who from other forums is rather notorious, she was checking applications while people queued and screaming ( I am not joking, screaming) "No, No visa"

I had all the required paperwork, and more - having been warned how strict they can be, including confirmed flight out of Thailand, copy bank book and an ATM statement from the day before showing I had in excess of the 'sufficient funds' requirement, confirmation of where I intended to be staying

The 90 days in 6 months is incorrect. Until about 2005 I understand there was a maximum duration within 12 months but that has long gone as a legal requirement.

As for immigration declining 30 days at the airport. I don't believe that has ever happened. Last year 2012 I made five trips back to Bangkok from KL, given 30 days every time and never questioned - that 30 days is not a visa, nothing to do with Embassies or Consulates, it is a 'permit to stay'

I have been at Royal Thai Immigration this morning to extend my latest Tourist Visa. No question about my duration of stay in Thailand, nor has there ever been for me. But I have not had many back-to-back Tourist Visas.

Quote:
My friends have stayed in Thailand for years by getting Tourist visa after Tourist visa with no problem.
This is becoming more difficult. My current TV was issued in Vientiane, Laos, there were many people that day at the Consulate collecting passports through a visa run company who were either given their final TV - passport stamped to that effect, or simply declined altogether and just got 15 days permission to stay from the land-border crossing (30 only applies by air)

As I understand it, at present Laos is still the simplest place to get a single-entry TV (just an application form/photo - no supporting docs required, use an agent) if you do not have previous multiple TVs from there already. Check with a visa run company for latest info.

Phnom Penh is easiest if you use an agent, their minimum four-day processing can be inconvenient for some and their flight times never suit me since Air Asia switched to Don Mueang airport last year - though it's a great place to enjoy a week's holiday.

KL is strict on documentation but will issue single-entry TVs (as long as not too many already). Penang in general will not issue a TV if you have a previous one that was extended by 30 days.

Such variation in consulates/embassies.

Note the Singapore Embassy states their requirements as follows:

Quote:
Required documents:
1. One completed and signed visa application form
2. One recent passport-sized photograph (3.5 x 4.5cm)
3. Passport (valid for no less than 6 months)
4. Airline ticket or confirmation slip with flight number and date of entry and exit
5. Evidence of adequate finance ($1000 per person and $2000 per family)
6. Visa of a third country in a passport or travel document

Please note that
* Consular officers reserve the rights to ask for additional documents as deemed necessary.
* In absence of a required document, a letter indicating the unavailability of such document must be provided.
* The applicant must sign on each page of copy.