Salary and offer/package questions - Part 2 - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 28th August 2013, 07:10 PM

Asdfgh has a reputation beyond reputeAsdfgh has a reputation beyond reputeAsdfgh has a reputation beyond reputeAsdfgh has a reputation beyond reputeAsdfgh has a reputation beyond reputeAsdfgh has a reputation beyond reputeAsdfgh has a reputation beyond reputeAsdfgh has a reputation beyond reputeAsdfgh has a reputation beyond reputeAsdfgh has a reputation beyond reputeAsdfgh has a reputation beyond repute
6 likes received
8 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in uae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt87 View Post
Hey guys,

New to this thread and hope I'll be able to get some advice here.

I'm 26 years old, single and would be coming alone. The job I'm interviewing for is in the shipping industry, where I have about 5 years experience.

I have been discussing the position via a headhunter who mentioned the company's budget was AED 10-12,000 per month + housing/car etc. on top. He did however benchmark me to around AED 20,000 maybe more. Benchmarking from internet research puts me at 15-25,000 per month (huge spread, I know).

My current salary in Denmark is just over AED 20,000 gross per month (and we have taxes that make you go teary-eyed here)

I've been looking over this forum for possible budgets and have come up with this so far:

Food: 2,000 per month
TV/Internet/Phone: 1,000 per month (though should be covered by company)
Cleaning: 500 per month
Utilities: 500 per month
Savings: 3,000 per month
Clothing: 1,500 per month
----------------------------------------------
Total 8,500 per month

The question then becomes how much should I ask for in accommodation and car allowance.

The company's office is on Sheikh Zayed road. Ideally I am looking for a 1 bedroom apartment not too far away. and in a decent area. From what I can gather, I should budget 50,000-80,000 per year for this.

The car is the tricky part. If I were to drive one of those cheap white toyota's I see all over the place, I reckon it would cost me 3,000 per month. What's the next level after that? I would probably add some out of pocket to get a slightly better car.

Am I being realistic here? If so, I reckon the package I should be looking for to live comfortably is something alone the lines of:

Salary: 13,500+
Housing: 6.000+
Car: 3,000+
+ annual home leave
+ medical insurance

I.e. my "breaking point" for minimum gross salary should be AED 22,500 per month, and my market value should be closer to 29,000 per month.

Thanks very much for any feedback.

Depends on what position you are joining as. I have enough experience in the shipping industry to give you a benchmark basis the position.