Salary and offer/package questions - Part 2 - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 28th August 2013, 05:28 PM

ExArab is on a distinguished road
5 likes received
3 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in qatar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcjb1970 View Post
Number one start thinking all in AED. It is hard to comment on budgets when you have to convert all your numbers.

Again that breakdown does not mean anything except from the perspective of payout when you leave. I cannot imagine why you would want to pay in the range of 30% of your salary on rent for just you and your wife.

Do I think you could save $30K in a year if you had that package. Yes, I think it is possible, you can live very comfortable and still save that amount. If you want to drive a Merc, live in a stylish 2 bedroom place, go out for dinner and drinks and hit brunches regularly than I would say you won't hit those targets.
I have taken a stab at coming up with numbers in AED on a monthly and yearly basis assuming that rent can be taken as a yearly expense (even though you may pay in 2 or 4 payments). Items with an asterisk are considered a one time expense. The numbers for the car are based on buying it and includes the down payment and the potential monthly payments. I have attached my little spreadsheet as a.jpg attachment. I promise there are no viruses

As stated earlier, some of these expenses assume a one time charge like rent and furnishing the apartment (my rent estimate includes the 5% charge for that random fee). This is built around 2 people living a decent lifestyle (wife and I). My plan is to be initially in Dubai for 2 years and then think extension based on that experience. For those first two years, I have no plans on getting an expensive car or renting a villa. I don't spend much on drinks and prefer to eat at home.

Lastly, this is based on a package expectation of 460,000 AED yearly (38,333 AED monthly). This is inclusive of base and living allowance but leaving aside the bonus and end of service gratuity). My breakdown for base versus living allowance assumes that my base would be AED 312,205 (yearly) and my living allowance would be AED 146,920 (yearly).

Please review and let me know if I missed anything major in terms of expenses.

Feedback is welcome and appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MENA.jpg (31.6 KB, 270 views)

Last edited by ExArab; 28th August 2013 at 05:36 PM.