Health care / how it works / dual nationality - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 28th January 2020, 10:26 AM

Location: Madrid 2004 - 2013, Bangkok 2013 - 2016, Madrid 2016 - ?
Overandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to behold
2308 likes received
1166 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopera View Post
That's interesting as I haven't got my kids Spanish passports yet. I never understood this "renouncing passports" business, as it makes no difference to your nationality, especially if it is obtained by birthright. You can simply apply for another passport in the future, if and when you need one.
Yes it is odd. My wife looked into becoming Spanish around 20 years ago, and she was told by the UK authorities that when she did so, Spain would demand that she hand over her UK passport when renouncing her British nationality. But that as the document is property of the crown, the Spanish would by law have to return it to the UK, and that as soon as they received it, they would send it straight back to her!!

Nowadays, they don't bother with that. When she finally did it last year, she just said "yes" when they asked if she renounced her British nationality, and that was it.

The most difficult thing about it for her is remembering which passport number she has entered into flight bookings because the airlines won't let her board if she presents the "wrong" passport at the boarding gate. At immigration they don't care though. At least not pre-brexit anyway.
I suppose that after this Friday she will present her UK passport when entering the UK and her Spanish one when entering Spain. That's what I'd do anyway.