Health care / how it works / dual nationality - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 28th January 2020, 10:16 AM

Chopera has a reputation beyond reputeChopera has a reputation beyond reputeChopera has a reputation beyond reputeChopera has a reputation beyond reputeChopera has a reputation beyond reputeChopera has a reputation beyond reputeChopera has a reputation beyond reputeChopera has a reputation beyond reputeChopera has a reputation beyond reputeChopera has a reputation beyond reputeChopera has a reputation beyond repute
1334 likes received
872 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalohi View Post
My kids have dual Spanish/US nationality from the moment they were born since I'm American and their father is Spanish. But when I got my kids their first Spanish passports I was told in no uncertain terms that by Spanish law they are SPANISH and ONLY Spanish, and if they held US passports they had to renounce them immediately. I said thanks for the information, and never did anything. They've been using both passports ever since, being careful to only show their Spanish passports to EU authorities.

BTW, they got their DNI's just like any Spaniard with no problems. They were born in Spain and their father is Spanish, so in the eyes of Spain they are 100% Spanish.
That's interesting as I haven't got my kids Spanish passports yet. I never understood this "renouncing passports" business, as it makes no difference to your nationality, especially if it is obtained by birthright. You can simply apply for another passport in the future, if and when you need one.