Post retirement treatment of a Third Pillar account - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2019, 08:40 PM

Zendo is on a distinguished road
2 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in switzerland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononymous View Post
If indeed you "intended to give up" US citizenship when you became Swiss in 1999, and never "acted" as a US citizen after doing so - no tax filing, voting or passport renewal, basically - then for all intents and purposes you haven't been US citizen for the past 30 years. You simply chose not to spend money documenting the fact, and you supplied your bank with an SSN because you were required to. If you ever do pop up on the IRS radar, document relinquishment and you'll be retroactively cleared of any obligations because it happened prior to 2004.
Yes, I would be able to meet the requirements; e.g. no voting or passport renewal (since the mid-nineties). And your comment about the SSN and the banks is basically true. At the time the issue of FATCA arose I had to literally dig up my SSN. I had completely forgotten about it.

I also located a past thread "FATCA and renouncing Citizenship" on this forum from 10 October 2018 where a link to the form "REQUEST FOR DETERMINATION OF POSSIBLE LOSS OF UNITED STATES CITIZENSHIP". It seems straight forward enough, but a bit tricky. For instance, question 13e asks Do you file U.S. income or other tax returns? If yes, please explain.
Isn't this a bit odd? If I state that I've never filed income or other tax returns, won't that cause trouble for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononymous View Post
If you could only renounce (i.e. you were not able to prove that you relinquished in 1999) then it would be hypothetically advantageous to do so immediately, before you dissolve the account.
Either way, over here it takes a bit of time to go through with any of the two options. It won't happen from one day to the next. And I'm not sure what to expect if I contact the embassy here with a request or questions. I'm concerned that it would raise FATCA-flags.