How can a NZ resident sponsor a single parent if there is no Parent Resident Visa - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 16th September 2019, 11:35 PM

escapedtonz will become famous soon enoughescapedtonz will become famous soon enough
835 likes received
21 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIce001 View Post
The humanitarian category does not necessarily mean that the government has to provide any benefits or health support.

Why should NZ take in your mom just because her adult children may migrate there of their own accord?

Because her adult children would be setting up a business, employing NZ residents and creating jobs and paying taxes and bringing in foreign funds.

Immigration NZ is not forcing you or your sister to make the decision to live and work in NZ.

It's a free world, my friend. Who do you think the NZ immigration has this page for?
https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/wh...zealand/canada

Australia and Canada both have the parent's visa category so it's not a new thing.

Thanks for the feedback though.
Correct, it doesn't necessarily mean that the government has to provide any benefits or health support, however I don't think that is how NZ works for overseas visitors/migrants in relation to health services and maybe other benefits ? I remember back to our Resident Visa application and us being delayed due to medical issues with my Mrs. Our answer was for her to opt out of NZ health care and us get private medical insurance but we were told we cannot opt out and not can the benefit be withheld for an individual.
Just being in the country allows a person access to 'care' should anything go wrong. Example - anyone can attend an accident emergency department to get emergency care.
If that person was to be here on a permanent class of visa then they would be eligible for subsidized care just like anyone else with the right to live and work here permanently or a citizen. It isn't a selectable option for either Immigration or the visitor/migrant. There is no mechanism here that would prevent a person receiving full care if they had a permanent class of visa.

"Why should NZ take in your mom just because her adult children may migrate there of their own accord?"
"Because her adult children would be setting up a business, employing NZ residents and creating jobs and paying taxes and bringing in foreign funds".

As per previous and probably still current criteria, a person in NZ can only become a visa sponsor or visa applicant supporter when they have achieved a certain status level in NZ and have been living, working and contributing to the economy here for a minimum number of years (minimum 2 or 3 years springs to mind ?) so if you and/or your sister were to come to NZ to set up a business, employ NZ residents etc then it would be a number of years until you could possibly be a visa sponsor or visa applicant supporter for your mom....if of course the Parent Resident Visa category was to open again.

Also, if you intend to come to NZ to set up a business, you may be applying for the wrong type of visa. You mentioned coming here on a work visa and then going for PR. If your intentions were business related you would be in breach of the conditions. You would need the entrepreneur visa route in that case. Not so for your sister if she is an Australian citizen as the Trans Tasman Agreement allows her to come and live work study in NZ permanently where she would obtain a suitable permanent class visa on entry to NZ and she would be free to work for an employer or herself as she so pleased.

Yes it is a free world and through a number of media releases INZ hope to attract specific types and numbers of migrants with the skills and experience that is needed here to help the economy prosper and grow. The way they do this is adjusted often to ensure the government meets its targets. Not just from Canada, but also from many other countries, however it does not mean INZ has to offer a pathway for those migrants to bring generations of family members along.
It is no different for me. I can live work study in NZ permanently and have been able to for several years, however I have no rights whatsoever to bring a parent from my home country should one of those land in a position where they need my support/assistance.
I agree the Parent Visa Category is not a new thing. They have been around many years, however NZ's programme has been closed for 2 years to allow a complete rethink leaving at least 6000 EOI's and individuals in limbo.
EOI submitted Jan 2010. ITA Jan 2010. ITA submitted Apr 2010. RV approved June 2011. Passports stickered and back to us Aug 2011. Secured job Dec 2011. Arrived Mar 2012. PRV Mar 2014......now eligible for citizenship but at $1175 Yeah but Nah!!!