Visit to SUMA - View Single Post
Thread: Visit to SUMA
View Single Post
Old 6th September 2019, 04:49 PM

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
9218 likes received
5632 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky Wesky View Post
Hmmm, I wonder if some departments are iffy with Brits or are iffy with all foreigners who don't speak Spanish very well, or possibly are not very helpful with the Spanish either, I mean how are we to know?
Anyway, glad you've had a good experience to add to the bad ones. I've certainly seen a great difference in public offices in the last few years. When I came in the late eighties tax offices, social security, police offices were all pretty dingy, using office equipment that hadn't changed since the 1950's and the staff were as unhappy as their working conditions. Then came Computers, but without the necessary training. At last it seems that the offices have got brighter and more user friendly, training has been given and staff are friendlier and more knowledgeable.
Fingers crossed that civil servants continue to get the equipment and training needed, although I still see frighteningly high stacks of paper in court room offices
You have been in Spain much longer than I, but even in the past 16 years since we first bought property here I have seen huge changes in the way things are dealt with and the technology employed. Trying to deal with anything involving our Ayuntamiento used to mean navigating a rabbit warren of individual offices, for a few years now they have had a smart "one stop shop" where the staff are very helpful. We have never had an experience of anyone being "iffy" with us, but given the rude way I have occasionally seen British people who obviously don't speak a word of Spanish addressing staff in offices (downright embarrassing) I am not surprised if they are sometimes a bit frosty. I'm sure if I were employed in that kind of role it would put my back up, too.