Towns accessible from Malaga airport for permanent move - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 2nd August 2019, 10:20 AM

KG5 is on a distinguished road
34 likes received
37 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozzi View Post
Beach Buddy has given me great ideas of towns to the East , would anyone be able to give me some advice to some of these towns to the west - Torremolinos , benalmadena , Fuengirola

I've been reading this thread with interest as we are looking at moving to the same region of Spain in the near future and if you still have that info on towns to the East of Malaga would you be able to post it here?

We are coming over from South Africa next month for 6 weeks and travelling down the east coast eventually getting down to Almeria then onto Costa Tropical and would love to know from people living in towns from Almeria to Malaga how they chose where to reside and how they find it living there? How are the winters there? Is it very quiet and what is the winter climate like?
Yozzi - here's my view...some places I've been more than other

Rincon - the most Spanish of the towns in my experience. Great place for families, easy to access Malaga from either by car, bus, bike or even a long walk. Deep end integration wise as there are not many expats but worth it IMO. Decent size town so has plenty going on, schools, supermarkets, commercial centre, bars, sports clubs/activities etc. Not good for parking...especially in the summer when Spanish holidaymakers come to town.
Quieter in winter (Chiringuitos closed for the most part) but not dead.

Benajarafe - much smaller and much quieter in winter...though enough bars/restaurants stay open. Only a bit further along so still well connected, hosing a little cheaper. A mix of different nationalities and a more ageing population.

Valle Niza/Almayate - both set back from the beach a bit more, very quiet in winter with a mix of locals in the traditional parts and then almost independent new developments with more of a mix of international families. Pretty small and a little isolated.

Torre del Mar - Much bigger, great facilities, more of an international feel than Rincon. Cheaper housing and more availability than Rincon too, plus Velez Malaga is just across the highway inland - which provides even more choice on shopping/services.
A really good all round option by the beach if you want to go into Spanish life at the shallow end

Algorrobo/Torrox - both have coastal and inland pueblo parts. International feel though for me more holiday resorts on the coast than places to live. Lots of second homeowners so some stuff stays open in the winter.

Nerja - Much bigger(like Torre and Rincon) woth lots of choice services wise. More popular with foreign holidaymakers so more of an international feel to the restaurants/services. More expensive as a result. Beautiful beaches that are very different to the miles of dark sand in the other places (Maro and the coves along there are stunning). Very international, too much for me to want to live there but a lot going for it.

Almunecar - slightly different feel, probably a better place to settle if you want to be part of a more permanent community, though as with everywhere much quieter in winter. Lots of infrastructure, services, schools etc and cheaper than Nerja or closer to Malaga.

Good luck!