Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I voted Brexit and I want to move to France

5K views 99 replies 20 participants last post by  ToulouseRob 
#1 ·
I voted Brexit and I want to move to France ;)

You see, I am fed up with immigration to the UK. I can't live there anymore. Too many foreigners.

So I am moving to France...as an immigrant :rolleyes:

Discuss :)

#3 ·
No, it's just Mr Smeg mockingly quoting 'elsewhere'.

I didn't vote (Brexit) and I wanted to move (back) to France.

You see, I am fed up with immigration to the UK. I can't live there anymore. Too many people. 5 million new ones in 15 years.

Queues for the doctor, queues for the hospital, no school places in the local school, rents through the (dodgy house) roof, housing ladder is impossible, council homes are all sold, Greenbelts are now all building sites, roads that go nowhere fast, full of stressed out road-raged people...........

So I am moving to France...as an immigrant

#5 ·
Man, I wish they'd give us EU nationals a chance to vote on Brexit. At this point, I'd for a Brexit as quickly as possible. So tired of all the whinging and moaning about the subject.

Please, let's get this over with! And given that the UK has rejected the deal that was negotiated, looks like a "no deal" Brexit, no matter what Parliament has to say on the subject. Just do it!

#6 ·
Man, I wish they'd give us EU nationals a chance to vote on Brexit. At this point, I'd for a Brexit as quickly as possible. So tired of all the whinging and moaning about the subject.
That's just how the English feel about Scottish Independence - but that's another story. :rolleyes:

So when he posts in the first person singular, he is talking about someone else, and when he posts in the third person singular he is taking about himself ?

Wow.

Who exactly were you referring to?.......?
Yup.

Moi? Couldn't possibly say (but the previous, Closed Thread will give you a clue). ;)

#8 ·
If we get a second referendum, i shall vote for ‘the brexit’ just to spite everybody, and then run naked round the garden with a pair of chopsticks up me nostrils and and a feather duster dangling from me nether regions, waving my newly acquired irish passport.

So up yours Delors......
Hop off you frogs...

Et cetera et cetera et cetera

Maybe ‘run’ is a bit far fetched....

Reactions: manuka
#21 ·
So someone said on another thread that Brexit will lead to 'UK sovereignty and border control'.

Now it is the border control bit that baffles me.

How can you be in favour of border control for the UK and then move to France ?

Why can you move to France but others can't move to the UK ? Are you more important than them ? You have more rights ?

If find that so hypocritical.

Also, what does border control mean ? Who do they want to prevent from going to UK ?

#22 ·
So the smeg-head has resorted to personal attacks - thinly disguised.

It has totally escaped him that it is possible to separate personal ambitions from political motivations. I voted for Brexit three years ago and unlike the smeg-head I have a mind that can change. A mind is like a parachute - only work when open.

This is why he is blocked from me so I don't see his posts unless someone else quotes him - life is too short for negative thinking; its depressing.

So I'll restrict my posts to factual items and questions - I suspect it's too much to ask that others do the same

Reactions: Steve Foley
#33 ·
If Boris had a different opponent I would say he could lose but against Hunt he would have to make a mega gaffe or be involved in some very sordid scandal .

The News and Social Media would suggest that English Poeople , who are the largest part of the popuation of the UK, are in many cases bored to tears by the long drawn out Brexit process and want closure on it as also do many in the EU.

Although I am a Remainer I feel that this matter needs to be resolved by 31 Oct 2019 so both Britain and its citizens and businesses etc can move on and so can the EU. A further Referndum would only cause further delay, the veru last thing needed.

To quote Shakespeare "If it were done when it is done then it were well it were done quickly".

#35 ·
I have to say I completely fail to understand how the British, having seen the results in the US of the election of Trump, will likely go on to name Boris Johnson PM.

It's not even a matter of those who don't study history being doomed to repeat it...the effects of Trump's election are happening right now.

And I realize that it's only something like 160,000 party members who are doing the actual voting, but still.

Are there really that many people so bored with modern life and civilization that they think the fun of being led by such a colorful character is preferable to maintaining said civilization? I shouldn't even ask that as a resident/citizen of the USA. But I will never understand it.

#36 · (Edited)
I did say that I would reply to Dear Smeggie's original post ...so here goes.

Sorry, Smeggie, your question is built on a false premise. That is

Lots of immigration in the uk, and I don't like it,

I'LL move to France to solve the problem

.....and become an immigrant myself.

This well known method of connecting non connected facts is well known to propagandists.. Josef Goebbels being good example. Years ago I read a few books about him. As Hitler's communications manager he was excellent at twisting the truth in a skilled manner. Forget his abhorrent politics, he was very good at his job.

The false relationship lies in the reason why Brits move to France.....imho most want to move TO French life and not FROM uk undoubted problems. So, yes Brits in France are immigrants, but they are not part an international immigrant equation.

HOWEVER, we musr remember that France has its own immigrant problems, with probably more colour and cultural prejudices than the Uk. In my small Catalan village my French neighbours live near Paris, with the Catalan old family home as a maison secondaire. They are thinking of moving here full time because of....you've guessed it...immigrant probs near Paris.

Now children, please play together nicely and don't call each rude names. Any more bad behaviour and dear old Bev will come out of her donkey hut and smack the back of your legs....hard.

DejW

#38 ·
I decided to move to France to live and work in April 2013 as the UK subsidiary of my Multi-National Employers was closing and the opportunity arose to tranfer to the French branch. Being single and with both of my parents dead there was nothing to keep me in the UK.

Immigration to Britain was not a factor in my making that move but I do strongly dislike many of the policies of the Government that has been in office in Britain since May 2010 and was glad to get away from it.

I am a lot happier here in Blagnac near Toulouse than I was in the UK.

Vive l'Ecosse Libre! Vive la France!

#37 ·
Barb TF

As a Scot who has lived in France since Spring 2013 and now considers it to be his home I feel the UK is making a big mistake in leaving the EU but the recent Euro Election results have confirmed that is what will occur by 31 Oct 2019.

The rise in Populism in many countries and I feel Donald Trump's victory in the USA in 2016 and the likely succession of Boris Johnson to become the next UK PM is the fault of the Political Elite who have alienated themselves from the Common People and ignore their wishes and problems to ride their own ideaolgical hobby horses and pander to minorities at the expense of the majority.

Tony Blair was the worst British example in recent years but the same could be said for Edward Heath and to an extent Harold Wilson back in the day. There is a conceit amongst many British MPs that they are somehow endowed with a great wisdom denied to the ordinary citizens and that "Nanny Knows Best". Hilary Clinton gave that impression in her failed election campaign in 2016 whereas Trump appealed to many Americans who felt they were being ignored.

The same can be said for the 3 main parties in the UK, Conservative, Labour and Liberal-Democrat. In Scotland the SNP, a rare animal in being a Left Wing Nationalist Party, and in Ulster the Democratic Unionists who are well to the Religious Right on Moral issues , have overtaken the main three. In England it would seem that the Brexit Party could be a significant presence although unlike the Euro Elections which are run on a Proportional System, the smaller parties, especially of the Populist Non-Economic Right do badly under the UK's First Past the Post system used to elect MPs and thus the Government. They could however take sufficient votes from the incumbent party in some seats to alter the result in a constituency that was usually safe for that party and "gift" it to the party that is normally in Second Place.

Instead of insulting and belittling the Populists, the Main parties should come out of their Intellectual Ivory Towers and see what the Common People- the Majority are concerned about , as should the News Media especally the BBC.

Although Boris Johnson is from a wealthy backgound, is an Old Etonian, and despite his clowning act is really a very intelligent man, he seems to have been able to resonate with the ordinary voter in a way that Theresa May and David Cameron before her failed to do and I feel that Jeremy Hunt tends to turn people off especially owing to what has happened to the National Health Service during his watch as Health Secretary .

All in all it is going to be an "interesting time" as the Chinese would say.

Finally for Britain's sake I hope that President Trump does not bear a grudge against the UK for the very candid remarks of the ex-Ambassador as once the Brexit is delivered Britain may well need the support of the USA to make new and beneficial trade deals.

#45 ·
You're right about what led to Trump's election (though it was also a result of Russian meddling by inflammatory social media posts if nothing beyond that, and a once-in-a-lifetime situation of 16 Republican contenders for the nomination, and several relatively strong 3rd party candidates enabled by the general dislike of Clinton) but my point is that the result of it has been chaos, ineptitude, all the things the British ambassador to the US mentioned in his leaked cables.

And don't the British people notice this? And don't they realize that Boris = Donald--another overgrown rich kid who's a compulsive liar and will say anything to get what they want and has no real interest in governing, just in winning? I have to think that they do realize this, and they must realize that Great Britain is in for the same results that the US is having right now. Which is why I cannot understand it.

Maybe I'm just too logical. :)

#39 ·
I am not sure where his imaginary figure of 70 million comes from. It is not difficult to check.....the population of the UK at the time was 65.6 million and there were 46.5 million registered voters.

So sill no majority in either case. Cameron could easily have framed the terms of the referendum in such a way that it would not be binding, but bizarrely chose not to.

#48 ·
I am not sure where his imaginary figure of 70 million comes from. It is not difficult to check.....the population of the UK at the time was 65.6 million and there were 46.5 million registered voters.

So sill no majority in either case. Cameron could easily have framed the terms of the referendum in such a way that it would not be binding, but bizarrely chose not to.
"No need to waste time on that, Old Chap. Those plebs will never vote for leave.
We'll 'Remain' with Party Re-united, Country Re-united, and me back for a third term. Job Done. Pimms anyone?:yo: Hic."

#40 ·
But is is a convention in the Uk's unwritten Constutution that one PM can NOT bind his successor far less a parliament that may be of a different party.

What Cameron should have done would have been to require that the side wishing a change, in this case Leave would need to attain at least 55% of the votes cast or the status quo remains.

In any event the 2016 Referendum has been rendered redundant by the Euro Elections of 27 June 2019 the results of which are mandatory and which confirmed it by the Brexit Party wining most seats and thus giving whoever becomes the next PM, probably Boris, a renewed mandate to Deliver the Brexit.

Not the outcome I wanted but the people voted in the Euro Elections and that was the result.

#47 · (Edited)
Well, here we are, 5 pages of posts in response to Smeggie's provocative initial post. Not bad eh, Smeggie? But I'm sure some of your other provacations have done better.

As a long term observer of human groups and their behaviours I can only admire Smeggie's techniques. For those of you here are upset by Smeg's comments are only showing how well he knows how to get under the skin of easily aroused posters.

Smeggie, I await your next s**t stirring thread with interest.

DejW

#57 ·
What I don't get in all of this is, for those who are living in France (or elsewhere in the EU), why in the world do you still get all worked up about this issue? It's a British problem right now. Not even sure those of you living outside the UK were even eligible to vote in the referendum. But you're no longer resident there, so let them figure it all out.

At some point along this thread (or possibly a different one on Brexit) our resident troll posed the question whether we should perhaps talk about the US president instead. I notice that the US members of this forum tend not to care any more because they live here and are only minimally concerned with what is going on back there. No one back there seems too excited about "doing something" about it - at least there don't seem to be any demonstrations or protests by the workers, peasants and soldiers. Maybe everyone back there has simply given up - but if they have, then there's nothing any of us outside the US can do but get on with our lives.

Is the only difference the proximity of the UK? Because other than that, I don't think the French (or the Germans or the Spanish) really are all that concerned that their kids won't be able to just pop across the Channel to work or study. OK, buying stuff from the UK may take a little longer and will possibly cost a little more - but those of us who have been here a while have lived through that before. The Brit OAPs living in France (or elsewhere) still have the same concerns about exchange rates that they have always had. The requirement for a visa for new OAPs to move to France might actually weed out a few folks who put too much stock in the notion that living in the south of France is "cheap" and that's probably not a bad thing.

The UK never really wanted to be in the EU - this is their big chance to go back to "the good old days" before they were subjected to whatever oppression it is they think they'll be out from under come October 31st. If Smeg and family want to go back to the UK to live, he'll simply have to show that he makes enough to support them in order to get the Mrs. a visa. I thought that's what all the Brexit supporters wanted!?

:faint: Rant mode off. But honestly, why do Brits settled elsewhere still give a toss about all this Brexit furor?

#58 ·
:faint: Rant mode off. But honestly, why do Brits settled elsewhere still give a toss about all this Brexit furor?
Because we are losing free movement in the EU. Not hard to understand.

But it is not just Brits....it is the French as well. The UK and France and quite closely located.

There are more French living in the UK than Brits living in France. They are more affected than the British to be fair.

So in the context of a French forum, it is quite important. :confused:

#61 · (Edited)
Still I've enjoyed the Conservative Party, final leadership race hustings, with both candidates promising to
raise the higher rate tax threshold; so the wealthy and super rich pay less tax and ( only as an afterthought )
lower the rate of national insurance contributions for those earning less than a certain amount.

With the biggest laugh being the cry of 'Tally Ho !!' as they promise a free vote on the reintroduction of
Fox Hunting in England & Wales.

It goes without saying that none of them are any clearer on delivering Brexitannia in the face of stiff
Parliamentary opposition to a no deal Brexit, than the present incumbent.

:lol:

#64 ·
Although it won't affect me personally as I am happy living here in France and have a 10 year CDS , I DO feel for those British people who may well suffer post Brexit especially if it is a No Deal one.

However as the Euro Election results confirmed that a Brexit is what is wanted then as a believer in democracy I fully accept that and do NOT favour another Referendum. Although almost everyone knows the issues they would probably have a far too long "Hustings" which could factor in another couple of months delay.

Although there are many issues on which I would disagree with Boris I hope he does win as unlike Hunt he was a Leaver during the Referendum campaign in 2016 and has the will to see it through even to a Hard Brexit without equivocation or mental reservation.

Both the EU and the UK need to get this matter decided and move on.

#66 ·
Well, I think a lot of people are losing the plot on this forum. Today is a national holiday, fabulous weather and the Men’s final. What are you doing falling for the ploy of someone who starts a thread in an effort to gain the most posts and views? This person has proven to know stuff all or even care about what life is like for an expat in France.

Before I am attacked, I am after 4 weeks in hospital with lots of broken bits and still immobile having been hit by an idiot on a bike as I stood in line on the pavement at the ATM. Get out, smile, talk to people, have a glass of wine and an ice cream, watch the Men’s Final. Enjoy the lifestyle we all moved here for. I have banned three subjects for the whole of the summer, Brexit, Trumpisms and Meghan Markle. Life is too short to attempt to have the last word with miserable, negative people. Live and enjoy your own.

#81 ·
I believe Smeg is correct in that Brits who currently hold a titre de séjour, will have to obtain a different titre after Brexit, be it a deal or a no deal. In the case of no deal France will set the procedures and it sounds as if it might be pretty much a straight swap. In the case of a deal the EU will set the procedures and it sounds as if it will involve submitting an updated dossier to prove status as of the cut off date. Or at least I seem to recall that this is what was stated in the ministère de l'interieur's provisional Brexit planning; a titre de séjour obtained pre Brexit as an EU citizen won't continue to be valid beyond whatever deadline is set for obtaining the new document.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.