Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitness professional options?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  UKMS 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

New poster here from London, England. I've been working across the world as a Fitness Professional, unfortunately these were just seasonal contracts so no chance to settle down. I'm looking for something a bit more permanent and would like some tips.

From my current research there's a unanimous decision to "stay the hell away from Fitness First!!". I've read that loud and clear.

I'm looking on Hosco, Bayt & Linkedin. I've years of experience do fitness modelling on the side which may or may not help the applications but I'm struggling to get anywhere. The interviews I've received never amount to anything i.e HYATT were interested but never called on the scheduled date and the same again for the scheduled calls.

Is it best to find the SPA directly and email recruitment? Are there any job sites I'm missing?

Thanks a bunch.

#3 ·
Hi,
We have used various personal trainers since we have lived in both Dubai & Abu Dhabi - they are really good but don’t seem to earn much money.
Typical salary in 3000-6000 AED basic plus a commission once they do more than a certain number of paid sessions per month - which they tell me are hard to achieve regularly.
Some trainers work in gyms, some come to our house - all seem to earn similar amounts.
Cheers
Steve

#4 ·
There are a lot of ‘fitness professionals’ in Dubai and many gyms of varying quality.

If you are looking at the PT side of things in my opinion it’s saturated and very hard for anyone good to stand out from the rest in a short time. Like many professions you need something different to stand out.

If you are looking at established gyms or hotel facilities you will be competing with some fairly well qualified individuals who will be happy to earn a lot less then you.

I use Fitness First and like it. Very few staff from the UK though but many from Eastern Europe, Russia, Philippines and African countries and as Steve says wages are not high but the good staff who do a lot of PT do ok but those less popular make very little.

#6 ·
Thank you. It definitely seems to be very saturated now, especially with all the high tech gyms I'm seeing. I've read older posts about Fitness First and it seems you can only work for FF, if you leave, you lost the Visa etc etc. I've been looking at Spa jobs but 99% are fitness instructor roles.

I'll keep an eye out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.