Spanish expressions - Mexico and other countries - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 27th June 2019, 01:30 PM

ojosazules11 has a reputation beyond reputeojosazules11 has a reputation beyond reputeojosazules11 has a reputation beyond reputeojosazules11 has a reputation beyond reputeojosazules11 has a reputation beyond reputeojosazules11 has a reputation beyond reputeojosazules11 has a reputation beyond reputeojosazules11 has a reputation beyond reputeojosazules11 has a reputation beyond reputeojosazules11 has a reputation beyond reputeojosazules11 has a reputation beyond repute
1256 likes received
1166 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from canada. Users Flag! Expat in mexico.
Default Empalagarse

I had the good fortune of being immersed in Spanish when I was 21, and have been speaking it as part of my daily life at home and at work ever since. Not infrequently when speaking English I hit up against a word I know in Spanish that’s just perfect, but we just don’t have the equivalent in English (and vice versa).

Empalagarse is one of those words. Some dictionaries translate it as “get sick”, but that really does not explain this word. Empalagarse is a specific word for that sickly feeling you get when you eat too much sweets 🍭 or something overly sweet, that cloying sweetness that makes you wish you hadn’t indulged.

For instance, as a kid I loved cotton candy, but I don’t eat it anymore because “me empalaga”.