Thinking of emigrating to New Zealand - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 6th June 2009, 05:10 PM

Mazzie is on a distinguished road
10 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat83 View Post
Hey Mazzie, you're dead right - there are always different experiences. Hopefully people will read both our experiences and be able to make a judgement about whether it will suit them.

One thing I hope we'll both do for them is make sure they don't just assume that everything will be sweetness and light - it never is.

Good luck in Canada.
Thanks for the good luck wishes. I would guess that we are probably from the opposite ends of the spectrum also as far as money is concerend as I could never justify spending $26,000 on 3 vehicles. I also found some of the stores you mentioned to be expensive, whilst you thought they were reasonable. I guess compared to the UK, they might be reasonable, but compared to prices here in Canada I thought they were expensive. I would assume that you had a home to sell in the UK and when you arrived in NZ you were not short of a 'bob or two.' Funny how people can have such a different perspective on things isn't it, so I guess it just goes to show that you should cut your coat according to your cloth and keep doing that research to find out what you can get for the budget you have.

Your experience has been good for you as you said, I don't know if that is related to money or not. What I do know is, although we weren't in the 'poor house' when we got to NZ, we certainly did not have a home to sell anywhere and even though we transferred $20,000 from the UK to NZ, it did not last very long at all.

It sure was good debating this with you and hopefully we have both opened other people's eyes to both sides of this coin.

Have a great day and I hope that you continue to enjoy NZ for many more years to come.