Thinking of emigrating to New Zealand - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 4th June 2009, 10:53 AM

YoungsSpecialLondon will become famous soon enough

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelloggs View Post
Hello everyone. Myself and my family are thinking of emigrating to New Zealand so it is very early days in the process but would like to hear what people think of the cost of living out there as that is a big factor in us moving out there. Cost of diesel here currently 1.28 at some petrol stations!!!! Home sickness is also a big concern although I appreciate something most people must go through so any suggestions, experiences I would love to hear about. Any stories and experiences of emigrating to NZ in general would be very helpful. Many thanks in advance everyone.
The cost of living here is definately less. Unfortunately, so are salaries and wages. Whether you'll get better value for money depends upon what you want to buy. Imported goods tend to hit harder in the pocket because they can be more expensive than in the UK. Anything local is much less. Cars were too, but they've got much more expensive in the last year because the strengthening yen has forced up the cost of second-hand imported Japanese cars.