Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Relocation - What to Expect

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Bevdeforges 
#1 ·
hi there
I am potentially relocating with a new employer and am in negotiations around the relocation package. I am looking at relocating to Europe...that's new Europe so quite far East. I'm just wondering what a 'typical' relocation package would consist of - particularly as it's only a relatively short term (9-12 mth) contract.
thanks in advance for any help!

G
#2 ·
There is no standard. Some offer to move you, your family and belongings. Flights home x times a year, housing and car allowances but then others will only pay for your, not your families flights there.

I've not really encountered many moving to where you will be so couldnt say whuch would be more likely. Though seems its mostly Dubai and the middle east that give huge packages not so much elsewhere.

#3 ·
Expat packages tend to vary according to the company (and their current financial position). But one thing to think about - it may be in the employer's best interest to consider a short overseas assignment like this as more of an "extended business trip." That would mean a greatly modified package.

But in general, you should expect the employer to handle all immigration issues (visa, work permit, etc.). Relocation assistance may depend on where you expect to be based after your assignment is done - if you'll be returning to where you are now, there's probably more chance that your employer will pay for your accommodation but may or may not pay to have your family accompany you. If you'll be moving on to someplace else after the assignment, they may treat this like a regular relocation, where you have a period of time to sort out your own place to live, etc. Make sure you know what the terms are before you sign up for anything.
Cheers,
Bev

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.