Salary and offer/package questions - Part 2 - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 12th August 2013, 05:45 AM

SophieCanada is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from canada. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default Canadian lawyer thinking of making the move

Hi all, I've looked through some of the info here and its so helpful!

I'm a Canadian trained lawyer with 10 years of experience (top tier firm and in-house) in regulatory law for financial services. I've done some lending work, not a whole lot but I could certainly do more. I've also done corporate work, corporate secretarial and M&A with a focus on FIs. I've also done some work for Islamic bank clients.

I've had friends whispering in my ears about how great Dubai is and how it can offer both a great salary as well as that elusive work/life balance. I'm single and don't have kids - and if it makes a difference, i'm a woman.

I'd be interested in getting your thoughts on the following:

1) wld my skills be valued in Dubai?

2) what would be a good package for a lawyer with this much experience. (With this question, of course, I'm trying to determine if the opportunities in Dubai are worth leaving my job with a large bank here and uprooting my life generally. Once I have this info I can figure out whether after factoring in accommodation and other expenses, I will be better off in Dubai.

3) what kind of hours do lawyers work (in-house and firm numbers would be good to know)?

4) anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks so much!