Salary and offer/package questions - Part 2 - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 1st August 2013, 11:00 AM

fcjb1970 has a reputation beyond reputefcjb1970 has a reputation beyond reputefcjb1970 has a reputation beyond reputefcjb1970 has a reputation beyond reputefcjb1970 has a reputation beyond reputefcjb1970 has a reputation beyond reputefcjb1970 has a reputation beyond reputefcjb1970 has a reputation beyond reputefcjb1970 has a reputation beyond reputefcjb1970 has a reputation beyond reputefcjb1970 has a reputation beyond repute
381 likes received
70 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in uae.

Quote:
Vantage, Thank you for the reply. I am a chemical engineer with refining/ petrochemical background. I am currently in leadership role. The offer is from similar type of industry in UAE.

The monthly pay of AED 50,000 is more than what I make here, however, my wife also works. So...the gross of AED 50,000 per month is less than the gross we make here in US. The bright side is, if we can manage with this income then my wife doesn't have to work if I decide to move to UAE.
Take some time to understand what your tax liabilities will be and how you can minimize those while here. When you add in housing exclusion the limit can go well past the 95K FEI exclusion. Also things you do back home, keep/sell house (I take a loss on renting mine, which still benefits me long term).

There is no more 401K matching, so you need to account for that if you are currently receiving it. Finally, depending on how much your tax liability is you may not be able to contribute to an IRA, so no money into your Roth while here.

On 50K/month you can certainly afford to have the wife not work and even afford a housekeeper to help out so she can focus on the kids. Just be sure that you are sending enough back to the states to make the time here worth while