Real Hard Costs -- budget time - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 16th July 2013, 06:17 AM

jon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond repute
1250 likes received
431 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieRed View Post
Hi all.. been a bit since I posted but doing so again because my move is fast approaching even though the date is still not yet known.

There was a major hurdle in my way before making this move but this hurdle was finally jumped last week.

Anyhow.. because of this I'm working on a budget.

First thing I need to get an idea about is a place to stay. It is appearing that Subic Bay or somewhere near there that is safe.

So help on costs on these areas would be great.

-- Rent / at least 2 bedrooms and 2 comfort room but ideally 3 bedrooms.
---- With me will be my Westie, he is 18 pounds so the place will need to allow dogs with some-sort of fence or the ability to build one.

-- The rooms I habitat will be cool so an idea of the power bill I'm in need of.

-- Will be looking for a smaller pickup truck. Could be fairly old as long as it runs well with AC. I realize the price range can be large but should anyone see any for sale please let me know for informational purposes. Does not have to be a truck.. just ideal is all. At least I think it will be ideal.

-- Ave. cost of Internet

-- Ave. cost of water

-- Ave. cost of normal monthly living costs minus food.

When I first arrive I intend to stay in a place for a month while I look for something more permanent so any help locating a place during this time I and my Westie would find most helpful.

Thanks!
Westies,

Read thru the posts linked in this post http://www.expatforum.com/expats/1243720-post13.html thread.

There are a lot of details about living within the Subic Freeport (probably the safest place you could ever find). Since those posts were made, rent has slowly started to climb. Rent for a 2 bedroom 1 1/2 bath are at 30,000-45,000php/mo on short term leases. Market rate for a same style unit is still around 4.5Mphp for 40+ year leases. Expect to have to put down at least 3 months rent (2 for deposit - first and last) to be able to move in. The shortest least that I have heard of was around 6 months.

Your dog will be another story. I know that it is quite the process and can take as long as 6 months to get your pet here. There is a quarantine process. I would research that and see if it is still a viable option. This is not including the one way airfare here (costs the same as a person). You can have dogs in the Freeport, you just have to maintain control of them. If your dog is a yapper and the neighbors complain, you may end up having to move out in violation of the lease.

Pickup trucks still seem to hold their value. Check out sulit.com.ph and look around. You will get an idea of what the current market value is for the vehicle you prefer. I am guessing at least 400,000php for a used pickup depending on make/model/age.

r/

Jon