Dual Nationality, Two Names - int'l return travel issues? - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 11th February 2013, 01:21 AM

VisaAnxiety is on a distinguished road
2 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in uk.

Thanks _shel and thanks Joppa for taking the time to reply.

Guess I'm just panicking a little just because this isn't the usual, run-of-the-mill scenario.

Its the Beijing Airport passport control area that gets me. You don't think that the two names will be questioned at that checkpoint?

I ask because at the Chinese Embassy in London in January they requested proof that my son (with two names) was in fact the same person and not two different people. I asked "what would you like me to show you?" They said something to the effect of 'that was up to me to decide'! I mean whaat?!!

So you can see my hesitation here...

At Beijing Airport passport control they will see that my son's Chinese Travel Document already has a red entry stamp in it issued by Beijing Airport passport control last week (we are in Beijing as I write this now). So my assumption is that either they:
  1. don't care and wave him through, or
  2. see the entry stamp, don't care and wave him through, or
  3. see the entry stamp and understand that he must already have permission to travel to/reside in the UK, and wave him through, or
  4. see the entry stamp and understand that he must already have permission to travel to/reside in the UK, but request to see evidence of a visa or some form of permission to enter the UK (since his Chinese Travel Document contains no British visa), and so our only proof is his British passport which has his British name in it, and not wave him through at all (which brings me back to the issue at the Chinese Embassy in London where they requested evidence that he was in fact the same person!

Number 4 is I guess the crux of the situation.