Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Introduce yourself!!!

183K views 473 replies 329 participants last post by  jhughes3281 
#1 ·
this is for everyone to tell us all a little bit about yourself :)

you won't be especially interested in me - but I live in Spain & have done for 8 years

over to all the posters who live in Italy - or want to :D

#2 ·
Hello all my name is Eric Wise I am a chiropractor currently living in southern California, my wife an acupuncturist and I are interested in moving to an practicing in Italy. We would welcome any information you could share about making this transition.
THANKS

#54 ·
Hi Everyone, I'm Steve Grimm. I've lived in Vicenza for several years as a civil servant (Army). Spent several years here while on active duty as well. Have resigned to start my own firm. Exciting time. Looking forward to the exchange with you folks.
Steve
Hi Steve - my husband and I recently relocated to Mestre/Venice area after living in the US for 12 years. We are looking for some "fellow" Americans to connect with although we are both Europeans. Could you help us connect with American community in this area?

#4 ·
Hi, I am a newbie here but have lived in Italy from 2000 until 2008 when I left to work, but I still have ties to Italy and now seeking to return to live once again this time to invest. I am born entrepreneur and English is also my madre lingua.

During my time here, I helped professionals translate documents, taught English and also sold made in Italy products to clients worldwide all form my home here in Italy. Now I want to create a company around this.

#6 ·
Exhilarating!!!

My name is Dominique. I am in the research/planning process of moving abroad with my two children for a year or so in 2012. I would love any guidance input from others who've made the leap into Expat life (esp those who've done it with little ones in tow).

My children are 3 and 1 and I am mostly curious about what the education/child care scene is like. I am also wondering how much I'll need to make the intitial transition.

I'm thinking I should have at least enough to support us for a month while we get settled in? Any and all info is appreciated!

I'd also like to make some contacts in country before we get there :D.

#7 ·
My name is Dominique. I am in the research/planning process of moving abroad with my two children for a year or so in 2012. I would love any guidance input from others who've made the leap into Expat life (esp those who've done it with little ones in tow).

My children are 3 and 1 and I am mostly curious about what the education/child care scene is like. I am also wondering how much I'll need to make the intitial transition.

I'm thinking I should have at least enough to support us for a month while we get settled in? Any and all info is appreciated!

I'd also like to make some contacts in country before we get there :D.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

As an expat who has lived in various countries I can tell you that you need at least 6 months living money behind you plus of course your fare home. What will you do for an income? Jobs are few and far between, do you speak Italian?
Have a good read through the various threads for guidance.

Maiden

#8 ·
Antipodean-Italy bound in 2012

Hello and thank you for such a wonderful Forum. I am living at present in Australia ( for last 12years) and plan to move to Italy mid 2012. I am a registered nurse with an EU passport (Ireland) and wonder if there are any opportunities for private nursing/companionship in Italy (palliative care or similar) . Perhaps been registered through a UK Nursing Agency may help me gain access to this type of work. I speak some French and Spanish but very little Italian at present and am certainly willing to learn. I have investigated the Italian Nursing Registration process which states i require fluent Italian. Working for people who speak some english would be great initially.
It is a very big leap of faith for me to relocate to the other side of the world but i feel this will do me good. I am a widow and looking forward to enjoying the art and architecture of this beautiful country.
Does anyone have suggestions re;work opportunities?
I look forward to reading the Forum in greater depth as time permits. Again, thank you for all contributions. It makes life easier to know there are others who understand the complexities and challengers in relocating to another land.

#9 ·
We are Tyler and Elizabeth, and Tyler just landed an expatriate position through is company in Napolie! We will be relocating around April, and we're trying to get all of our ducks in a row (as much as that's possible). We were pretty happy to find this place, and we've got a ton of questions. I hope we can pick a few brains along the way!

#10 ·
Ehmm.. I hadn't noticed this thread and didn't even think about introducing myself *glom* Gotta put a remedy to that!

I'm Elisa, 25 years old, and I'm an Italian who spent the last 2 years abroad, one in England and one in Berlin. In November I moved back to my hometown (Bolzano), putting a (temporary, I hope) end to my time as an expat.
I'm here because I've always been interested in the stories of those who decide to move to Italy and in the way my country is seen through their eyes.

Looking forward to getting to know you all =)

#11 ·
Living in Italy for six months out of the year

Hello

Our names are Michael and Palma Iacoboni and we currently live in Florida in the United States.

I officially retire on December 31,2011 and my wife and I always have had the plan to go to Italy for six months out of the year. We are American/Italians meaning all of our grandparents were born in Italy.

We have been to Italy two times over the past five years and really love it there.

Our grandparents were from Calabria and Abruzzo in Italy and we have been to both of these regions and would not mind living in either one of them.

We want to rent a one bedroom place for the first year and want to know if anyone knows on average per month how much rental places are in Calabria and Abruzzo. We really don't want to live in the main towns but don,t want to be more then a half hours drive from the main towns.

If anyone can help us please contact us back when you can.

Have a happy holiday season.

Thanks

Michael and Palma Iacoboni

#12 ·
Hello

Our names are Michael and Palma Iacoboni and we currently live in Florida in the United States.

I officially retire on December 31,2011 and my wife and I always have had the plan to go to Italy for six months out of the year. We are American/Italians meaning all of our grandparents were born in Italy.

We have been to Italy two times over the past five years and really love it there.

Our grandparents were from Calabria and Abruzzo in Italy and we have been to both of these regions and would not mind living in either one of them.

We want to rent a one bedroom place for the first year and want to know if anyone knows on average per month how much rental places are in Calabria and Abruzzo. We really don't want to live in the main towns but don,t want to be more then a half hours drive from the main towns.

If anyone can help us please contact us back when you can.

Have a happy holiday season.

Thanks

Michael and Palma Iacoboni

Hi Michael and Palma

Welcome to the forum

Maiden

#15 ·
Living in Italy for six months a year

Hello Steve and Abbie from Atlanta. Thanks for replying back to us.

Are you considering renting or are you planning on buying something in Italy?

If you are renting a place have you done research in the areas of Luca and Ascoli to find out what the average per month rental amounts are?

Living in the U.S in Florida at this point of time we can go to Italy for three months at a time using our passports only I believe. If you both go to Italy for four months are you going to have to get a visa for extended stay there? My wife and I are Americans/Italian meaning all of our grandparents were born in Italy but they are all unfortunately deceased.

Please when you can reply back to us on all of this.

Thanks

Michael and Palma

#18 · (Edited)
Hi guys!

My husband and I permanently relocated to Italy from the UK in September, so we are still settling in at the moment! We live in the Campania region, about 45 minutes south of Salerno. We have two small children, 5 and 2 and our lovely Chocolate Labrador, Ruby... who's 6.

My husband was a Fireman in the UK and I worked in the Civic Service so life here is a complete change for us! If I can give any advice on relocating with two small children, moving here with a dog or anything else, please feel free to contact me!

Lisa :)

#19 ·
4 years until we retire to italy

Explain to me why expat forum has so many steps to post a reply I don't care about fonts or funny little garbage we are adults not 7th graders with i phones. Ok I'm done on the complaining. 4 years until we retire to my wifes home town 70 kms from rome. We need a contractor to argue with our architect but will listen to us. the plans have been aproved and the fees are paid now we need the contractor. Any ideas . The contractor needs to be able to build terremoto walls and columns. We have the electrician, plumber, the bath fixtures, floor tile we just need a shell with window frames we have all the windows. Done this before .

#22 ·
Explain to me why expat forum has so many steps to post a reply I don't care about fonts or funny little garbage we are adults not 7th graders with i phones. Ok I'm done on the complaining. 4 years until we retire to my wifes home town 70 kms from rome. We need a contractor to argue with our architect but will listen to us. the plans have been aproved and the fees are paid now we need the contractor. Any ideas . The contractor needs to be able to build terremoto walls and columns. We have the electrician, plumber, the bath fixtures, floor tile we just need a shell with window frames we have all the windows. Done this before .

mmm two steps.. click reply and then submit reply, not too much really:D

#20 · (Edited)
Hi there,

I have dual citizenship with Italy and the US, and am entertaining the idea of one day emigrating to Italy with my hubby and our 2 miniature Schnauzers.

My family is from Catania, and I have spent many childhood summers there.

My Nonna and Zii (and cugini, etc) all live in Sicily, and I'd love to move there to help take care of my Nonna.

#27 ·
Hi,
living in Canada and after too many cold snowy winters my body is screaming for a more milder sunnier climate. I have been to northern Italy a few times but wish to experience the south. So Naples or perhaps a few months on the island of Capri would be nice to produce some paintings while experiencing the wonderful sunlight there. What I'm looking for is a good web site that explains what daily life is like on Capri for the people who live there - sadly I do not speak Italian so hard to find a blog in English. Any leads appreciated.

#28 ·
My name is Vaughan. I was paratroooper/Paracadutista stationed in Vicenzia at Caserma Paulo Ederle and in that time discovered some very valuable life lessons about kitchen, family and quality of life. Also I discovered the rich deep history and magic of the Veneto. I am very notalgic and am looking forward to returning for an extended vaction at some point in the future.

#30 ·
Hi, My name is john Agostini. I am working on obtaining dual citizenship for my family and having difficulty getting birth and marriage documents from my Grandfather's home town of Ascoli Piceno in Le Marche. I am doing this to allow my children the opportunity someday to study or work in Italy or anywhere in EU along with making travel much simpler. Any help you can give me would be great.

#32 ·
After traveling extensively for many years in Spain and Italy, we are looking to buy an apartment in or near Lucca - our favorite place. We will be retiring soon and would like to split our time evenly between the USA and Lucca. We are excited (and alittle scared) about this adventure and look forward to learning how to make the transition by talking with expats and sharing experiences.

#33 ·
Hello All,

My name is Rick (acutally Enrico). My wife and I are in the process of purchasing an apartment in Paciano, Umbria. We plan on using it as a holiday home / rental for the next few years and plan to spend more time once retirement / semiretirement rolls around.

I am a radiologist in the US, once my italian improves, I would consider working in Italy if there are opportunities.

#34 ·
Hello!

Hello Everyone! My husband and I lived in Grizzo di Montreale from 2003-2006, when we were active duty at Aviano. It's where we met and our first daughter was born in Sacile. We plan to retire back in the Aviano area when my husband retires from the Air Force. I am an entrepreneur, currently building my business designing and sewing handbags. We may be able to return to Italy as soon as summer 2013, depending on assignment status, but full retirement won't be for 4-5 years yet, giving us "hopefully!" enough time to have plenty of savings built up.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone on the boards and all the advice you can offer in regards to citizenship issues, as all our overseas living has been done thru the military, and the paperwork is much less!

Ciao!
Jen

#98 ·
ciao

good to hear you liked aviano, i am hoping a job for me opens at the base so I can move from Denver to italy.
tell me more about your work at the base. i do have animals, including horses, yikes, may or not send on at some point. assuming i get the job at aviano - can you recommend place to live, more country, but not to far from base, I also have a beautiful 16 year old who really wants to move, learn Italian,( i am an english speaker so far) and study. She has friend in como, could go to school there.
Any ideas welcome. where are you living now?
Ann

Hello Everyone! My husband and I lived in Grizzo di Montreale from 2003-2006, when we were active duty at Aviano. It's where we met and our first daughter was born in Sacile. We plan to retire back in the Aviano area when my husband retires from the Air Force. I am an entrepreneur, currently building my business designing and sewing handbags. We may be able to return to Italy as soon as summer 2013, depending on assignment status, but full retirement won't be for 4-5 years yet, giving us "hopefully!" enough time to have plenty of savings built up.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone on the boards and all the advice you can offer in regards to citizenship issues, as all our overseas living has been done thru the military, and the paperwork is much less!

Ciao!
Jen

#35 ·
Hi

My name's Amanda and I moved from Surrey in the UK to Piemonte just over 2 years ago with my daughter who's almost 14. After two difficult years she's finally settled in and I am constantly amazed at the education she's receiving here and how fluently she speaks. Me...? I bumble along with pidgin Italian and don't even have to utter a sound before people instantly know I'm English!

I'm struggling to build a social life as my partner works away for months at a time and after joining the forum yesterday I'm wondering why I didn't find it sooner. Thank you all you lovely people for being there!!!

#37 ·
Hi, Amanda. I am also new to this forum, and I am also amazed at how quickly children settle in and pick up the language, but I think the reason they do is that they speak to other people.

I can read and write Italian somewhat. I have chatted with Italian friends on facebook, and they all think I "speak Italian". They are so wrong, as they found out when I met them in Italy. Not having someone to speak with a sure way to NOT learn the language. I am sure there must be someone in your village who maybe speaks a little Engish, but is too shy to try to speak it to you. Sound familiar? I hope you will find each other, but your best bet would to be to look for her. You can help each other. When I was in Italy, the person I was most comfortable speaking Italian with was my friend Patrizia who only spoke high school English, and was nervous to speak it, but was willing. We had so much fun stumbling along in our respective languages, and learning we wouldn't melt away if we used a wrong word.

I hope you find that person who speaks a little English, and who can help her new English speaking friend learn Italian.

#36 ·
Hello, I am a 65 year old with a wandering gene. I have been caring for my mother for the past 15 years. She recently died, and now I am about to fly away. A couple of years ago, seduced by some Italian singers, I started studying Italian to translate their lyrics. Last October, I escaped to Europe for a 5 week trip with 2.5 weeks in Italy. I have many facebook friends there who I have met through the fan clubs for some of the musicians. I met many of them face-to-face, and had a wonderful time.

My plan now is to go for a year. The problem I am having is how to apply for a visa. I don't want to stay in one place (extended residence visa). I also don't want to have to attend school continuously (student visa). I want to go longer than 90 days. I am afraid the consulate will deny me because I don't have one address, but will have 3-4. My intention is to go to language school, but 3 months in 3-4 different places.

I have what I believe is enough money, so I don't think I will be denied for that reason. I think it will be the address issue. Oh, and I am finding it to be a challenge to find a return flight a year from now. The schedules don't go out that far. Suggestions are welcome.\\

Dee

#38 ·
Thank you Dee S for your kind words. Yes, I am looking for that person to talk to.... everyone is very friendly here, but quite reserved too. I did a language course to learn Italian for a year before I came, but found that with local dialects and my poor pronunciation it was almost useless and only gave me a very basic grounding. Ordering a coffee is very different from having a chat!

With your problems about your visa, do the Italian authorities have to know that you are travelling around? Can you not just give your first address as your "permanent" address? And maybe get someone there to forward any mail received there to you wherever you are? Or return to that address at the end of your trip? And if it was me, I would just book a one way ticket - and worry about the return flight nearer the time!!! When are you planning to travel? Amanda

#39 ·
I am working hard on getting rid of things, and getting my house ready to rent out. I REALLY want to leave in May, but I think realistically, it will be June. Not the best time to go. I don't like heat or crowds, but I really want to be in school in Lucca for the summer music festival. I am having to shift my original plans a little. I had hoped to be able to get my CELTA certification in May in Milan. There is still a slim chance I can get it all done.... if I can stay off the computer. I spend a moderate amount of time researching, too.

I also agree that the dialect issue is a major one. One of my closest "facebook friends" (for some reason, that strikes me as a very sad statement) is someone I chatted with for about 4 months online, but I truly could not understand a word she said when I met her. It was very embarrassing. Fortunately, she also saw me stumbling with another person from another region, and she didn't see me doing fine with several other people.

I don't know if I can pass the consulate review if I don't have a return flight. I think people from the UK don't have to have one, but from what I have read on other posts, from the US we do. I guess they figure you can swim?

What part of Piedmonte do you live in? One of my favorite singers if from near Asti. What kinds of things do you like to do? Do you have a particular kind of music you like? Getting involved with some of the fan clubs has been really fun. They are all ages, and very friendly. Maybe finding some group or singer would be a way to meet people.

I do have a facebook friend who is from London who lives in Galliate near Milan. She has lived there for years, and her significant other is Italian. They are both loves. I will have to tell you a very funny story about her some day.

I don't know exactly where I will be going, but my plans are Lucca, Viareggio, Venice, and somewhere near Lombardia, but I know someone (again, face book "know") near Torino, and I may be going there as well.

Good to hear from you, please write again.

Dee

#41 ·
Dee

I was forgetting you were from the States cos it's so much easier for us Europeans - we're supposed to be one big happy family and to be able to travel and settle freely within the EU.

I'm near Asti - about 20 minutes south from there, and about an hour from Torino. Maybe if you do come we can meet up.

I'd like to go to Lucca and Viareggio as well - we may go down there for a few days in the summer - and do Pisa and Pompei at the same time. Last summer we spent a few days in the Aosta Valley and also drove across to Venice for a week., but this year we seem to have adopted a cat so it's going to be a bit harder to just get in the car and drive off for a week.

Do let me know how you get on in the coming weeks

Amanda

#42 ·
Hi Amanda! I understand your language frustrations, I was the same way when we lived there. In fact, the only person in our entire neighborhood that spoke any english was a 13 year old girl! But we still all some how managed to have long conversations with our limited words. It was a fantastic experience! Our daughter was 2 when we left, and she had mostly Italian babysitters, and she understood everything. My biggest regret was not making more of an effort to better understand the language since we knew we would be moving eventually. Perhaps there is someone in your area that would be willing to trade services, to learn to speak English and teach you conversational Italian in return?

Hi Dee! How exciting your up coming year sounds. I would ask at the consolate if you have to have the return flight to get the visa. Though, to be honest, they would be hard pressed to make me leave after being there for a year...... I'd never come back to the states! :) I'm not sure what your current plan is for which locations when, but I wouldn't miss Carnivale in Venice! It's a bit chilly, but worth every second. I'd probably aim for Christmas in Rome, just to hit Christmas Mass, even if your not Catholic.

Oh, I'm making myself "home" sick!
Jennifer