What is it really like for British western white women to live in Dubai? - View Single Post
View Single Post
Old 14th December 2007, 01:04 AM

kaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond repute
391 likes received
23 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in australia.

Hi Sorisa,

I haven't lived in Dubai but I've been there a couple of times on stopovers to and from Australia with my husband.

Although I'm married myself and my husband have different surnames and although this didn't cause problems on our first trip, on the second trip the receptionist at a hotel said we had to have separate rooms. It was the same hotel we had stayed in before and I was about to get annoyed when a higher ranking receptionist said it was alright for us to have one room. I was beginning to think that if I had to take my marriage certificate with me I wouldn't be visitnig Dubai very often.

I found that most of the apparently independent women working there that I thought could be from Dubai were actually Indian.

I got stared at a lot in Dubai, to the extent that I was about to say something to the men that were doing it but my husband pointed out that this may not be a wise move I'm bi-racial (English/Jamaican) but look Mediterean, and some people say possibly Indian (which is in my Ancestry) so I don't know whether that was the issue. A possible local walking around in Western clothes with a white man. By the way I wasn't dressed in anything revealing - shirt and jeans most of the time.

Judas - don't judge Dubai but it's neighbours. Dubai has it's own culture which may not always agree with British or other Western cultures. It's very open for tourism and has been built up from virtually nothing by one family that is still the ruling power. It has a wonderful history and if any one ever goes there a trip around the museum is fantastic. I'm not really into museums but we managed to spend the day there.

Would I live in Dubai? No for various reasons. It's too hot in the summer and I am not a person that likes that much heat! I'm also used to a lot of personal freedom. I lived on my own, in my own house and had my own job etc. Now this is not unusual in the West but I think it's rare in Dubai. So I think although I will continue to have holidays there it wouldn't be my choice to live.

Regards,
Karen