Temporary halt on skilled worker and investor visas in Canada

by Ray Clancy on July 2, 2012

CIC is making changes to Canada's economic immigration system

A temporary pause has been put on new applications for the Federal Skilled Worker Programme and the Federal Immigrant Investor Programme in Canada as from today (Monday 02 July) it has been announced.

Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney said it is the latest step in re-designing Canada’s economic immigration system.

‘We have been making lots of changes to our economic immigration system. We will take the next six months to do a lot of the heavy lifting to get us closer to a fast and flexible immigration system,’ he said.

The pause will allow CIC to make important changes to its economic immigration programmes before accepting more applications. Kenney said that this is an important step in moving towards a faster, more flexible immigration system, while immigration levels are at an historic high.

Since the launch of Canada’s Economic Action Plan 2012, Kenney has announced a series of changes to CIC’s economic immigration programs. They include: eliminating the backlog of old FSWP applications; improving the selection of FSWs and creating a new Federal Skilled Trades Programme.

There has also been a modification of the Canadian Experience Class to help transition successful skilled temporary workers to permanent residence, changes to the business immigration programmes to target more active investment in Canadian growth companies and more innovative entrepreneurs and progress towards a new application management system, to develop a pool of skilled workers who arrive in Canada ready to begin employment.

‘This temporary pause on new Federal Skilled Worker applications will allow us to set the program on a new course as we intend to launch revised selection criteria soon. The pause has no impact on the number of workers Canada admits into the country, as CIC continues to process applications already received. Current immigration remains at historically high levels,’ explained Kenney.

Application intake is expected to resume in January 2013, when the proposed FSWP regulatory changes, which will be published in the Canada Gazette in the coming months, are expected to come into force.

The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act allows the Minister to issue special instructions to immigration officers to enable the Government of Canada to best attain its immigration goals. Since the 2008 Action Plan for Faster Immigration, four sets of Ministerial Instructions have been issued relating to Economic Class applications.

Under this fifth set of Ministerial Instructions, CIC will also introduce a pause on new federal IIP applications. This pause will remain in place until further notice, allowing the Department to make progress on processing its existing inventory.

As Kenney announced earlier in April, CIC will be consulting with provinces, territories and stakeholders on ways to reform the current IIP in order to maximize the economic benefit to Canada. The Department is also consulting on whether to create a new investor program on a short term basis, to promote growth in the Canadian economy.

The temporary pause on FSWP applications does not apply to candidates with offers of arranged employment or those applying under the PhD eligibility stream.

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

highpearl July 2, 2012 at 5:38 pm

this is right thing to do, immigration without meaning and control do more harm to the economy then any good

Reply

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: