UK sees rise in overseas student applications from outside European Union

by Ray Clancy on February 1, 2013

UK sees rise in overseas student applications from outside European Union

More international students from outside the European Union are applying to study in the UK with the latest figures showing an increase in applications from abroad. The figures released by UCAS, the organisation that co-ordinates applications for all universities in the UK, show a 9.9% increase in the number of students applying from China and a 19.3% rise in those from India.

Immigration Minister Mark Harper said that the figures show that while reforms of the student visa route have tackled abuse, they have not put students off of coming to study at UK universities. ‘The increase is further proof that the UK remains open to the brightest and the best international students. In particular, numbers from India and China have seen big increases. This shows that despite rhetoric to the contrary, students continue to want to come to the UK to study at our world class universities,’ he explained.

‘We have tackled abuse of the student route head on without affecting genuine students. By protecting the reputation of the British education system will we be able to compete in a global race,’ he added. Foreign students from outside the EU need a visa to study in the UK. They can apply as an adult student under Tier 4 (General) under the points based system if they are coming to the UK for post 16 education.

There is a student visitor visa for those aged at least 18 years old who want to study in the UK for up to six months, or up to 11 months to take an English Language course, and do not want to work while studying. While you are in the UK as a student visitor, you cannot ‘switch’ and apply to extend your stay as a Tier 4 (General) student. If you want to study under Tier 4 (General), you will need to leave the UK and apply from the country where you live.

Quote from : “I’m from India about get a student visa for studying MFA in film-making at Birmingham,UK,,During my study time I simultaneously want to make English-films for releasing it to film festivals in UK & world-wide also in theaters (if possible) does this will create problem in my student Visa?”

You can apply as a prospective student if you want to come to the UK to finalise the arrangements for your Tier 4 course of study, for example, by attending an interview at a university which has made you a conditional offer. You will also be able to switch into the Tier 4 (General) while you are in the UK. Students also need to be able to show that they have enough money to meet the costs of their intended course and accommodation, and to support themselves without working or help from public funds.

A husband, wife or civil partner, and children under 18, can come to the UK with you while you arrange your studies but an applicant must be able to show that they can adequately accommodate and support them without working or needing any help from public funds. Students should provide as many relevant documents as they can to show that they qualify for entry to the UK and if they don’t then a visa application can be refused.

Documents include information about you, information about your finances and employment, your accommodation and travel details as well as information about your visit to the UK.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: