UK Border Agency issues advice for international student arrivals

by Ray Clancy on August 2, 2012

UKBA advice makes it easier for students arriving at UK ports and airports

International students coming to study in the UK this September have been issued with advice to help them make sure their arrival is smooth.

The advice from UK Border Agency is aimed at making it easier for students on their arrival in the country at ports and airports.

‘As part of your preparation we want to make sure you have everything you need to get through the UK border as securely and quickly as possible,’ a spokesman said in a statement.

Students should make a note of a suitable UK contact including full name, address and a phone number which will be required for completing landing cards and they should complete the landing card before meeting the Border Force officer in the UK.

Those with their passport in a protective wallet should take it out before presenting it to a Border Force officer.

‘Never give false or misleading information including forged or counterfeit documents to a Border Force officer and have your university confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) letter and medical card (if you have one) in your hand luggage that you carry with you on to the aircraft. If you don’t have a CAS letter, please bring thorough details of your course of study,’ added the statement.

The advice also points out that there are restrictions on food products that can be brought to the UK from outside the European Union, even for personal use. Restrictions apply to products made from meat, dairy, fish, eggs and honey, as well as some fruit, vegetables and plants, for example bulbs, seeds, cut flowers and tree bark.

There are also restrictions on the amount of goods such as tobacco, alcohol and gifts that can be brought into the UK.

‘If you exceed your allowances all of your goods can be taken away from you. Never bring in counterfeit goods, illegal drugs, firearms (including realistic imitations), offensive weapons (including knives) or indecent or obscene material,’ the statement continues.

The agency also advises students to make sure they are familiar with the conditions of their visa including the number of hours they are allowed to work.

They must also declare any sums of cash of €10,000 or more, or the equivalent in another currency, if they are travelling from a country outside the European Union.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: