Sweden Visas, Permits and Immigration

by Jose Marc Castro on August 11, 2009

VISASweden200Swedish passports are issued only to citizens of Sweden. Passports are solely for international travel purposes. Passports also serve as proof of a legitimate Swedish citizenship. It provides assistance from Swedish consular bureaucrats abroad or other European Union Members in the absence of the Swedish consular. A passport is not required when staying or traveling in one or more of the Schengen countries if the Swedish national has an identity card. Swedish nationals and other European Union citizens are free to stay in any Schengen country provided they register with the country’s embassy.

This was reiterated in General Expat Discussion last December 23, 2008:

I am an Australian under 30 and my country has a reciprocal arrangement with both
So as long as I get a Visa for one of those 2 countries, and as long as I do not work outside the country of the Visa, could I then travel within the Schengen area for the entire duration of the visa

Swedish Passports

Swedish Police issue passports. Applications for passports are safe since local police stations within the country file the applications. Police stations in Sweden have passport offices. These provide mutual security between the government and its people.

In 2005, immigration officials of Sweden used the biometric passport variety. Adult Swedish citizens receive passports with a10-year validity, and children get passports valid for 5 years. Blue-covered passports issued in 1998 are no longer valid. This is due to widespread cases of fraud and forgery as well as inadequate security.

The Swedish Visa Section at the Swedish Consulate or Embassy only gives early appointment dates for emergencies like the death of relative’s. Proof such as an official letter from the hospital or the undertaker needs to be presented in these cases. This is a requirement to allow entry and remain in Sweden and other Schengen states for a short period of time.

Foreign nationals need a type of permit called entry visa to enter Sweden. The initial requirement for foreign nationals who wish to visit Sweden for a temporary visit is an entry visa. Examples of temporary visits are:

•    business trips for conferences, meetings and special projects;
•    tourist holidays;
•    passing through Sweden in transit; and
•    visiting friends, relatives and the like.

The Foreign Affairs Ministry of Sweden keeps a detailed listing of countries whose citizens must acquire a visa to enter Sweden. There are also particular guidelines that need be fulfilled for the issuance of a visa to Switzerland. Some of these include adequate finances, travel insurance and a valid passport at least three months after final date of issued visa.

General Requirements for Swedish Visas

Applicants must present the following required documents to enter Sweden:

•    fully completed and signed application form;
•    a declaration form;
•    2 passport-sized pictures;
•    original copy of the applicant’s national passport;
•    a photocopy of the passport;
•    original copy of the official resident visa;
•    proof of hotel bookings in Sweden, group travel, or airline ticket reservations meant for Sweden;
•    duplicates of the documents mentioned above;
•    original copy and a duplicate of the confirmation letter from the health insurance stating the coverage of their benefits;
•    original copy and a duplicate of the applicant’s most recent bank statements; and
•    the visa fees for the applicant’s Swedish visa.

Sweden Immigration Policy

Visa on Arrival and Visa-Free Travel

According to the study done by Henley and Partners, Sweden has an Index of 120 Henley Visa Restrictions. This means Swedish nationals enjoy access to 120 countries and territories without getting a visa. This visa-free travel is only valid for short-term visits for tourism purposes.

Sweden is currently ranked as the 2nd country with the best international travel sovereignty. Sweden shares the 2nd place with Germany and Ireland.

190 territories and countries grant visa on arrival and visa-free travel services to Swedish passport holders. 154 of these territories and countries are accessible to these nationals even without any visa. Visas issued before arriving in Sweden or pre-arranged visas are required in countries excluded from the list of 190 territories and countries.

The admission of foreign nationals will still depend on the judgment of boundary enforcement authorities even if the Swedish authorities permit visa-free access. Foreign nationals in Sweden participating in activities of interest including voluntary work will need to obtain a work or visa permit.

According to the European Union Directive #38 as of 2004, family members of EEA citizens with British Residence Cards or Permanent Residence Cards do not need a visa to stay for less than 90 days or 3 months in Sweden or other EU member states. The issuance of a Schengen Visa is optional. It greatly depends on the deliberation of the cases of foreign nationals including the reasons why they want to visit and their intentions of returning to their home countries. This type of visa is not issued to foreign nationals who wish to stay in Sweden for more than 90 days to look for employment or participate in business activities.

Immigration Regulations

During the term of Swedish Prime Minister Goran Persson (1996 to 2006), he issued a transitional rule for East European workers. The entry of 10 new member states to the EU is hardly the start of mass immigration. The real issue regarding transitional rules is the attack on the Swedish workers’ condition by greedy employers and employment agencies.

Prime Minister Goran Persson and the social democratic government said they conducted a lot of studies to help exploited guest workers. This will follow an investigation made by the union’s branches in the south of Sweden in collaboration with the police, immigration officials, and tax authorities. According to the investigation, companies already hiring foreign workers are responsible for the turnover worth around 1.2 billion US dollars. Out of the 400 workplaces visited, 140 are using illegal foreign workers and only 383 foreigners were found working illegally as self-employed individuals.

Tips for Swedish Citizenship Applications

1.    Applicants should remember to send their completed and signed application forms with their passports.
2.    The application processing fee must be paid by the applicant.
3.    Attach the payment receipt or other documents stating that the fee has been settled.
4.    Send all attachments listed on the final page of the form.
5.    Do not attempt to apply for a citizenship if you have not spent the allowable duration of stay in Sweden. Otherwise, the Immigration Office will be forced to reject your application.
6.    Submit all other documents necessary for Swedish citizenship applications.

Ways of Acquiring a Swedish Citizenship


The term “naturalization” means foreign nationals will eventually be citizens of Sweden by applying for a Swedish nationality. They must satisfy all requirements to be a Swedish citizen by naturalization. The requirements for naturalization are the following:

•    The age requirement for being a naturalized Swedish citizen is 18 years old.
•    Applicants must prove their identity. Passports and other legitimate identification cards or birth certificates are accepted.
•    Foreign nationals staying in Sweden for a minimum period of 5 years or at least 4 years for refugees and stateless persons may apply for naturalization. Icelandic, Finnish, Norwegian, or Danish citizens can be naturalized through a 2-year stay in Sweden.
•    Applicants must not have any criminal record in Sweden or in their home country.
•    EEA foreign nationals or applicants with a permanent residency permit can apply for naturalization. Citizens of Nordic countries are exempted from this rule. As for EEA nationals, they will be granted a permanent Swedish residence permit if they pass the limited duration of residence permits worth 5 years.

During application, the Swedish Migration board collects information about the applicant from the following:

a)    Social Insurance Office – for alimony or maintenance debts
b)    National police Board – for suspected offences or crimes
c)    Swedish Security Service – for security checks
d)    Enforcement Service – for debts

The body or institution that considers Swedish citizenship applications is the Migration Board. The fee for applying a Swedish citizenship is 1500 SEK.

{ 44 comments… read them below or add one }

abdikadir shire August 23, 2012 at 5:30 pm

i am Abdikadir shire i am working in Kenya as teacher teaching different languages and i like to migrate to Sweden what can i do to go there


Gaby11 December 28, 2012 at 11:36 am

I arrived/moved in July this year(2012)to Sweden…as my boyfriend lives here.I am citizen os Slovenia…means in the European Union!Now a baby is on its way and i really wanna take care that nothing is missing for the child future .As i wanna give birth in Sweden,BUT as a NON CITIZEN of SWEDEN i cant get any birth money support.
What is the proceed of it….and how come on a fastest easiest way to a CITIZENSHIP OF SWEDEN.THANK YOU for ANY feedback!!!!


Ady Miles May 5, 2014 at 11:20 am

After five years of residence, you can apply for full citizenship.


Viviana Garuz February 18, 2013 at 8:07 am

I am registered citizen in Spain, but I live for longer periods ( 6 weekgs every 3rd month) in Sweden. How can I getproper medical healthcare in SWEDEN in those periods?


foyes April 23, 2013 at 6:49 am

Brother i want to go in sweden by agriculture visa in stwabery gerden nd they gave me 1 year visa. i want to know after 1 year can i renew or extend my visa or not. Also can i change my profession after come in sweden. Plz any brother help me to gave me this advise. They will take 1,000 euro for this visa. Plz any brother help me to know the present situation.


meynard May 30, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I am in norway on multiple schengen all states C-visa which will expire by mid of July and will move by mid of June to Sweden. Can I apply for residency permit when I arrived in Sweden ?. My stay in Sweden is a business assignment that requires me to stay longer duration (more than 1-year). What is the work around on this cases. (Noting that per my read on the web of existing regulation, one has to go back to his home country or home residence, and apply for such cases in sweden embassy/consulates. Thanks for the reply.


Rebecca Olesen June 21, 2013 at 11:43 am

I don't know about citizenship versus 'allowed to stay' but the criminal record 'requirement' is obviously not in force for the non-european immigrants. The man who killed Elin Krantz had a lengthy criminal record in the U.S. (although he was an Ethiopian immigrant, he was listed in media as being 'American' – he was not) including assault, death threats, and had tried to physically attack a judge while in court. The migration board's excuse was that his record was 'just misdemeanors' – that, (if it's even true) is only because the cases were 'pled down' to lesser charges. My point being, is there a difference between gaining citizenship and receiving permanent residency – as far as 'rules' go?


catheline July 5, 2013 at 8:00 am

I am a swedish citizen and I have also lebanese nationality. I will be 18 yrs after 3 months and I got married legally in lebanon when i was 16 years. I am living and studying in sweden even after my marriage but my husband is living and working in saudi arabia.
Please advise me how my husband could apply for a visa to come and live with me in sweden as I got married with him when i was 16 years?


james July 10, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I applied for a visa to Sweden, and this is what i saw on my status Decision has been made. what does it mean?
have my visa been accepted or Rejected?


shah July 14, 2013 at 11:30 am

Its mean your deciision has been made and will forword to you by embassy or u can call them by ur self and ask them if visa is grand to me or refused?
shah, sweden


michelle October 9, 2014 at 1:19 pm

hello.. you can verify it by calling them 🙂 even you referent person can contact them also just provide your case# 🙂 I used to received same message when I apply for my residence permit before then my husband called them to check and they said its already granted and we just wait for the mail (beslut/decision) to come


Doreen July 21, 2013 at 3:19 pm

hi, m Name is Doreen,am Zimbabwean and my fiance is Swedish, we been together for 5 years now, and we got married in Zimbabwe customarily we call it `LOBOLA` where he pays a bride price to my family, i been applying for a visa to go visit his family in Sweden but denied twice, the reason being my intension to leavethe country after my visa expiry could not be ascertained, and also that i have no strong establishment in my home country, so is it like the less priviledged cant marry? I dont understand


eda February 4, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Hi i am a Zimbabwen who to is married to a swedish man and we got married and regested in Zimbabwe and we regestered our marriage through the swedish embassy to i dont no why you seam to have trouble because by now u should have a resedent permit automatically .all i could recommend is that you make shore all your paper work is in order coz by right u are permitted to have accses to Sweden .have you regesterdd your marriage and go for an interview at the embassy yet to prove the marriage is not fake .


mazen ghazi July 26, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I am a USA national I have 28 years of experience in civil engineering my specialty is in environmental protection. my question is what are my chances to have a Swedish citizenship and be able to work in Sweden. please in light me. Thank and have a great day.


mea August 18, 2013 at 11:50 pm

hello i am going to sweden next month i am a fiancee visa, how long can i stay there i mean how many months i can stay?


dani July 9, 2015 at 11:37 pm

Hey plzzz tell me where are you from i also want get visa for sweden i have fiance there so plZ


Ady Miles May 5, 2014 at 11:24 am

All sorts of people have either minor and/or seriously old criminal records in their own country, some of which will be unfair convications. Why should this prevent them from gaining Swedish citizenship? Isn’t this unfair discrimination?


Md.Delower Hossain May 6, 2014 at 7:21 am

I m Delower Hossain.I am bangladeshi.How i can sweden visa?please tell me everything.


Ratan Kumar Das May 14, 2014 at 10:29 am

Hello, I am Ratan Kumar Das from bangladesh. I am a Diploma Electrical Engineer .Now I ‘m working in Brac as assistant officer (IT). But I want to know about migration process for me at Norway. Please help me……


Mary Ruth Sebastian May 20, 2014 at 5:32 pm

hi. i just wanna ask few questions about going to sweden and getting a visa of course.

i am from the philippines and i have a boyfriend in sweden. we wish to be together soon by all means. we are planning to apply for a BF/GF visa. actually we havent met yet. we are just merely talking try facebook and LINE or SKYPE. and it would be great if we are together. we are also planning to have ot built a family. he has 3 kids, divorced. i have 3 kids, unmarried and separated. i currently am jobless coz i just resigned from work due to family reasons. i dont have financial stabilities to prove of any wealth.

question is, will there be hindrances that i’d be denied for a visa? what should i do in order to have my visa approved.

thank you!
please do help in any way.
i will surely appreciate that.


Wally-e June 14, 2014 at 8:19 pm

iam 33 yeard old male from libya i moved to vienna to lie with my austrian wife since 3 years now i have got a permit residence throw her ,but now she applied for a divorce in the court and it will take 6 months until the court will made a decision of divorce , during the 6 months waiting iam be still legal in europe after the divorce be madei will lose my permit residence .
i have a son in sweden 7 years old from my ex swedish girlfried i have a court written decision to see him every 8 months andto skype with him every second sunday , i used to travel from vienna to sweden to see him since years 2012-2013-2014-2015now i want to apply for a swedish residence to be able to near him since i divorce from my austrian wife i dont see any other reason to stay live in austra for !
my qustion is , whats my legl situation in this matter please?
Thank You


Tarek Awad July 7, 2014 at 11:00 am

Help me to contineu my study and working in sweden.


Hani November 24, 2014 at 4:02 pm

what do u want to do in Sweden ?


Rashed July 18, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Hi . I’m from Bangladesh i have a canadian visa stam in my passport which i used to attend a exchange visit program courtesy by canadian gov. My quarry is would i get preference to have a canadian visa for visit purpose ? Can any one help pls ?


togetherstronger July 23, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Dear i hear about this forum from a friend of mine, who tell me she talk me she had received good advice here about her problem so here i am with mine and hopefully someone could help me.
I am a non Eu CITIZEN living in sweden with my beautiful wife who is Eu citizen.
some weeks ago we want my friend from Ukrainia (non eu citizen too) but currently student there. to come and visite us during is summer vacation break. For that we send to him:
– Invitation form nr 240011 from migration
-my wife and i slip payment from last months
– my wife and i tax record from 2013
my friend himself upload:
– His student certificate from University where he is student ( 2 years informatic)
– his passport photocopie
– his bank statement
-pictures and he pays the fee.
He was suppose to visit us from the 25 july to the 17 august due to his study starting again in september (3 years informatic).
Today he went to get his passport from Sweden ambassade in Kiev and what was not our suprise to see that the visa have been denied to him, with reason that “HIS INTENTION TO LEAVE THE TERRITORY OF THE MEMBER STATES BEFORE EXPIRY OF THE VISA COULD NOT BE ASCERTAINED”
Here i am then to ask if they is anything which can be done in this case that my friend could come and visit us?
if some body have been through the same problem and how he or she solve it?
NB: every one his welcome his advice positive or negative thank you


bright August 18, 2014 at 11:02 pm

helo , i am a NIGERIAN but my bf is staying and living in sweden, so he want to send me a visit visa of 2 to 3 month of my staying . so i want to know if it can be possible for him to send me the visa and ticket without any problem? and secondly what document will the immigration people need from me befor i can enter sweden? please reply me i need help


fahad August 28, 2014 at 10:44 am

Dear All ,,,

Hope you all fine and ok… i am from pakistan.. i have more than 4 yeras of work experience in public sector and have done MBA also a thesis writer MS Business Administration… just guide me easiest way to immigrate to Sweden and get work permit there… please help me in this regard… stay bless


Hani November 24, 2014 at 4:04 pm

you need to find an employer


sandeeep September 15, 2014 at 11:59 pm

dear sir, have a good day………… sir i m sandeep kala from india, i had applied for swedish work permit through my restaurent owener( . Sir i want to know that,i had already got the 2 years work permit in december2013. But this time i could not come to swedan regarding some faimly problm.so i want to know my work permit is still valid can i come to swedan on this same work permit or i need to apply a new work permit again..Pls give me a goood advise…and also i want to know that if i came to swedan now and i will be work thare after finish my work permit..can i extend again my work permit because somebody my friends tell to me..u can,t got ur work permit again because u not paid full 2 years tax and u should need ur full 2 years salery slip. But i m coming in half period. I will be paid half year tax only when i start my work .because i got my permit in december 2013 but i want to come now.and my permit will be expire on december 2015..but i want to live and work in swedan for long time,i don,t want to come back and i want to extend my permit again when its finish in dec.2015.pls give me some idea .i alrady talk with my owner.pls give me a right advice sir ..i m vary thankful to u. Thanks a lot.


Gabriel alari October 19, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Pls sir, i am from nigeria and i have first degree in agriculture, i want to migrate to sweden to know more about agriculture to development my country, how do i go about it?


mouhsine behja December 1, 2014 at 6:13 am

Hi dear

i’m mouhsine behja nationality Moroccan ,my wife name is naiha rakdi and we have five child’s we are living in uae since 2007 so we are looking to move to Sweden so what is the procedure to be a Sweden citizenship

thank you and best regards

mouhsine behja


david December 4, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Hi my name is david i have a friend who is a resident parmit in Sweden but will be due 4 passport next year 2015 and unfortunately caught shoplifting with a friend of 2000kr but that was his first time and also did not have any debt or case with polie before and the police said they will pay fine which they said they agreed but want to know if he can still get his passport or what can he do am helping to search 4 solutions and will appreciate it if you can help in replying back


david December 6, 2014 at 11:48 pm

 4, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Hi my name is david i have a friend who is a resident parmit in Sweden but will be due 4 passport next year 2015 and unfortunately caught shoplifting with a friend of 2000kr but that was his first time and also did not have any debt or case with polie before and the police said they will pay fine which they said they agreed but want to know if he can still get his passport or what can he do am helping to search 4 solutions and will appreciate it if you can help in replying back Am sorry i had to rewrite this i made mistakes on my first email


liliane January 14, 2015 at 1:22 pm

hi…i am 25 years old and i am single… i have a bachelor degree in business and 1 year and a half as work experience as an accountant…so I am eligible to immigrate to sweden


hawa February 21, 2015 at 1:55 am

H ello sir !pls help me..my fiance has been staying in sweden since 2009 ..he has being offererd a 2years residence permit he wants to come over to nigeria to married me ..i have 2 kids from my late hubby ..my fiance wants to adopt the kids as well..will i and the kids be given a swedish visa?


mark March 6, 2015 at 6:55 am

I am divorced from a Swedish woman whom we have a child together, I never lived in Sweden, but visited many times, my son is in Sweden. can I get a residency to stay close to my 16 year old son?


ali abdiaziz hassan March 18, 2015 at 8:16 pm

thank you for your appointment


MARIO April 24, 2015 at 7:34 pm

hi…i am 28 years old and i am married… i have a bachelor degree in accountant and auditing and 8 year as work experience as an accountant and auditing…so I am eligible to immigrate to Sweden my wife and i ?


Yasmin May 9, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Dear friend,
I want to immigrate to Sweden with my famuly (3girls ,1boy and my husband) what are the procedures of immigration can you please guide me.


Amina August 19, 2015 at 6:38 am

I am in Afghanistan how can I go to Sweden forever with my children?


arslan November 13, 2015 at 3:55 am

i am 25 years old and i am single… i have a diploma in civil surveyor and 1 year and a half as work experience as an building constrction in uae and I’m also here but I’m from pakistan …so I am eligible to immigrate to sweden


BUTIMEISMAIL November 20, 2015 at 10:47 am



Shazi Gulzaman December 16, 2015 at 6:57 pm

I am citizen of Pakistan and my deceased husband was Swedish citizen at the time of his death . He left a minor child also. We want to migrate to Sweden. Can we live in Sweden? and how can we get permanent residence visa for Sweden?


peter April 17, 2017 at 2:42 pm

hello i am a refugee and have stayed close to five years but when iasked for a passport from my country uganda they gave me but with a different age rather than 1975 they put 1976 can i still acquire the swedish naturalization


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: