Teaching English in Valencia - Page 6

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain

Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain The Spain Expats forum is a dedicated community of people who have moved to Spain, or who are planning to. This is the place for Expats to meet and discuss anything about moving to, & living in, Spain.

Like Tree18Likes

Teaching English in Valencia - Page 6


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #51 (permalink)  
Old 29th December 2012, 02:16 PM
jojo's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Worthing UK/Benalmadena, Spain
Posts: 27,341
Rep Power: 20
jojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond repute
2882 likes received
2719 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamunt View Post
I have friends who teach English in Valencia and things aren't great at the moment. Having said that there are jobs and lots of people get private lessons to sub a part time post. I did it years ago and I have to say I loved it. Valencia is the most fantastic place to take a chance! Also you can look at 'academias' in the surrounding villages.
I'm not sure why you're digging up old threads - altho I guess you like the idea of Valencia. However, There is no place in Spain, or indeed the world where you can simply "take a chance", especially with Spains new rules on residence. To immigrate you need to plan and gain as much knowledge as possible - leave nothing to chance!

Jo xxx

__________________
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #52 (permalink)  
Old 17th February 2013, 04:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Valencia
Posts: 59
Rep Power: 0
anderso is on a distinguished road
8 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from denmark. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

I know this is an old thread, but just want to throw in a few more optimistic words:

Valencia is great. I am from Copenhagen and my wife is from London and we both love it here! Commuting, pollution levels and crime levels are all much better here than London, in my opinion. It's certainly not paradise here, but it's close enough. Barcelona is a rougher place.

Valencia is flat, the climate is amazing and the metro system very efficient. So it's very easy to get around.

We work with our own business online so are not really affected by the job situation, but I do think it is possible to "give it a shot" here. As long as you plan ahead.

We got our NIEs at the embassy before moving here. The first week we opened bank accounts with just the NIE and our passports. We then got our padron (registered at the municipality) and proceeded to buy a car. In terms of health service we are covered by our blue EU cards until mid-2014.

We still pay tax in Denmark, and technically also have to pay tax in Spain, but all taxes paid in Denmark are deducted from the Spanish ones effectively making them nil. So we are not double taxed, and as soon as we have filed for 2012 taxes in Spain we should not need our blue EU cards anymore to keep our green "health cards". These we automatically received the first time we went to the local health centre (centro de salud) and presented our blue EU cards.

That's pretty much all we have done. I recently found a Spanish 'economista' who told me that since we have been here more than half of 2012, and are EU citizens, we have automatically become 'residencias', so there is no need to apply separately for a 'recidencia'.

So it's actually been pretty straight forward and I if you dream of trying something new in life I certainly wouldn't hold myself back and I can't recommend Valencia enough. Just prepare as much as you can from home. Get your NIE. Contact work places where you think there might be a chance of securing a job. Etc. etc.

BTW. We see a professional Spanish teacher (who also teaches English) once a week and in her opinion, the crisis is "inspiring" a lot of Spanish people to learn English so they'll have more opportunities in the future. At the same time, Valencia is far behind Madrid and Barcelona in terms of how widely English is spoken, so I would guess that this would indeed be a good place to "try it out".

Good luck
Justina and DizzyInSpain like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #53 (permalink)  
Old 17th February 2013, 04:25 PM
Pesky Wesky's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Near Madrid for 25yrs :)
Posts: 10,975
Rep Power: 49315
Pesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond repute
3144 likes received
3181 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderso View Post
I know this is an old thread, but just want to throw in a few more optimistic words:

Valencia is great. I am from Copenhagen and my wife is from London and we both love it here! Commuting, pollution levels and crime levels are all much better here than London, in my opinion. It's certainly not paradise here, but it's close enough. Barcelona is a rougher place.

Valencia is flat, the climate is amazing and the metro system very efficient. So it's very easy to get around.

We work with our own business online so are not really affected by the job situation, but I do think it is possible to "give it a shot" here. As long as you plan ahead.

We got our NIEs at the embassy before moving here. The first week we opened bank accounts with just the NIE and our passports. We then got our padron (registered at the municipality) and proceeded to buy a car. In terms of health service we are covered by our blue EU cards until mid-2014.

We still pay tax in Denmark, and technically also have to pay tax in Spain, but all taxes paid in Denmark are deducted from the Spanish ones effectively making them nil. So we are not double taxed, and as soon as we have filed for 2012 taxes in Spain we should not need our blue EU cards anymore to keep our green "health cards". These we automatically received the first time we went to the local health centre (centro de salud) and presented our blue EU cards.

That's pretty much all we have done. I recently found a Spanish 'economista' who told me that since we have been here more than half of 2012, and are EU citizens, we have automatically become 'residencias', so there is no need to apply separately for a 'recidencia'.

So it's actually been pretty straight forward and I if you dream of trying something new in life I certainly wouldn't hold myself back and I can't recommend Valencia enough. Just prepare as much as you can from home. Get your NIE. Contact work places where you think there might be a chance of securing a job. Etc. etc.

BTW. We see a professional Spanish teacher (who also teaches English) once a week and in her opinion, the crisis is "inspiring" a lot of Spanish people to learn English so they'll have more opportunities in the future. At the same time, Valencia is far behind Madrid and Barcelona in terms of how widely English is spoken, so I would guess that this would indeed be a good place to "try it out".

Good luck
But... didn't you come here before the most recent changes, so therefore what you had to do doesn't corrolate with what eu residents have to do now?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #54 (permalink)  
Old 17th February 2013, 04:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 172
Rep Power: 0
Clemmie00 is on a distinguished road
74 likes received
26 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderso View Post
I know this is an old thread, but just want to throw in a few more optimistic words:

Valencia is great. I am from Copenhagen and my wife is from London and we both love it here! Commuting, pollution levels and crime levels are all much better here than London, in my opinion. It's certainly not paradise here, but it's close enough. Barcelona is a rougher place.

Valencia is flat, the climate is amazing and the metro system very efficient. So it's very easy to get around.

We work with our own business online so are not really affected by the job situation, but I do think it is possible to "give it a shot" here. As long as you plan ahead.

We got our NIEs at the embassy before moving here. The first week we opened bank accounts with just the NIE and our passports. We then got our padron (registered at the municipality) and proceeded to buy a car. In terms of health service we are covered by our blue EU cards until mid-2014.

We still pay tax in Denmark, and technically also have to pay tax in Spain, but all taxes paid in Denmark are deducted from the Spanish ones effectively making them nil. So we are not double taxed, and as soon as we have filed for 2012 taxes in Spain we should not need our blue EU cards anymore to keep our green "health cards". These we automatically received the first time we went to the local health centre (centro de salud) and presented our blue EU cards.

That's pretty much all we have done. I recently found a Spanish 'economista' who told me that since we have been here more than half of 2012, and are EU citizens, we have automatically become 'residencias', so there is no need to apply separately for a 'recidencia'.

So it's actually been pretty straight forward and I if you dream of trying something new in life I certainly wouldn't hold myself back and I can't recommend Valencia enough. Just prepare as much as you can from home. Get your NIE. Contact work places where you think there might be a chance of securing a job. Etc. etc.

BTW. We see a professional Spanish teacher (who also teaches English) once a week and in her opinion, the crisis is "inspiring" a lot of Spanish people to learn English so they'll have more opportunities in the future. At the same time, Valencia is far behind Madrid and Barcelona in terms of how widely English is spoken, so I would guess that this would indeed be a good place to "try it out".

Good luck
That's not true. You do need to register, like everyone else. It sounds like she was talking about tax residency, not 'residencia'. You are obliged to register at the extranjeria after 90 days in Spain, regardless of where you come from or how long you'll be here.
Pesky Wesky likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #55 (permalink)  
Old 17th February 2013, 04:34 PM
xabiachica's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Xbia/Jvea (so good they named it twice!) since 2003
Posts: 24,116
Rep Power: 20
xabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond repute
4400 likes received
2148 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderso View Post
I know this is an old thread, but just want to throw in a few more optimistic words:

Valencia is great. I am from Copenhagen and my wife is from London and we both love it here! Commuting, pollution levels and crime levels are all much better here than London, in my opinion. It's certainly not paradise here, but it's close enough. Barcelona is a rougher place.

Valencia is flat, the climate is amazing and the metro system very efficient. So it's very easy to get around.

We work with our own business online so are not really affected by the job situation, but I do think it is possible to "give it a shot" here. As long as you plan ahead.

We got our NIEs at the embassy before moving here. The first week we opened bank accounts with just the NIE and our passports. We then got our padron (registered at the municipality) and proceeded to buy a car. In terms of health service we are covered by our blue EU cards until mid-2014.

We still pay tax in Denmark, and technically also have to pay tax in Spain, but all taxes paid in Denmark are deducted from the Spanish ones effectively making them nil. So we are not double taxed, and as soon as we have filed for 2012 taxes in Spain we should not need our blue EU cards anymore to keep our green "health cards". These we automatically received the first time we went to the local health centre (centro de salud) and presented our blue EU cards.

That's pretty much all we have done. I recently found a Spanish 'economista' who told me that since we have been here more than half of 2012, and are EU citizens, we have automatically become 'residencias', so there is no need to apply separately for a 'recidencia'.

So it's actually been pretty straight forward and I if you dream of trying something new in life I certainly wouldn't hold myself back and I can't recommend Valencia enough. Just prepare as much as you can from home. Get your NIE. Contact work places where you think there might be a chance of securing a job. Etc. etc.

BTW. We see a professional Spanish teacher (who also teaches English) once a week and in her opinion, the crisis is "inspiring" a lot of Spanish people to learn English so they'll have more opportunities in the future. At the same time, Valencia is far behind Madrid and Barcelona in terms of how widely English is spoken, so I would guess that this would indeed be a good place to "try it out".

Good luck
errmm - your blue EU health cards are for holidays only - your temp SIP cards aren't supposed to be renewed after the initial 90 days - after that you are resident, as you said & can't use the EHIC (your blue card)


did you not register as resident when you got your NIEs - do you have a green resident cert ?

__________________

DRACO DORMIENS NUNQUAM TITILLANDUS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #56 (permalink)  
Old 17th February 2013, 04:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Valencia
Posts: 59
Rep Power: 0
anderso is on a distinguished road
8 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from denmark. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

To be honest, I am unsure. We came in March 2012.

We got our NIEs in early 2012 at the embassy in Copenhagen and that was extremely straight forward. But maybe this would be more diffcult now?

The blue EU cards are still exactly the same, as far as I know, and if you get one of those before leaving home, you should be alright in Spain for a while. I got my first green health card at the centro de salud only a few weeks ago, and all I presented was the blue EU card. The green Spanish one I got is valid for just 6 months, but I was told that I could just have it renewed when it ran out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #57 (permalink)  
Old 17th February 2013, 04:39 PM
xabiachica's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Xbia/Jvea (so good they named it twice!) since 2003
Posts: 24,116
Rep Power: 20
xabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond repute
4400 likes received
2148 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderso View Post
To be honest, I am unsure. We came in March 2012.

We got our NIEs in early 2012 at the embassy in Copenhagen and that was extremely straight forward. But maybe this would be more diffcult now?

The blue EU cards are still exactly the same, as far as I know, and if you get one of those before leaving home, you should be alright in Spain for a while. I got my first green health card at the centro de salud only a few weeks ago, and all I presented was the blue EU card. The green Spanish one I got is valid for just 6 months, but I was told that I could just have it renewed when it ran out.
yes, you came before the changes - but see my post above re: the blue card


if you are paying tax etc in Denmark, then you should be able to get forms S1 from there, which will give you access to state healthcare here officially

__________________

DRACO DORMIENS NUNQUAM TITILLANDUS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #58 (permalink)  
Old 17th February 2013, 04:54 PM
Pesky Wesky's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Near Madrid for 25yrs :)
Posts: 10,975
Rep Power: 49315
Pesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond repute
3144 likes received
3181 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderso View Post
To be honest, I am unsure. We came in March 2012.

We got our NIEs in early 2012 at the embassy in Copenhagen and that was extremely straight forward. But maybe this would be more diffcult now?

The blue EU cards are still exactly the same, as far as I know, and if you get one of those before leaving home, you should be alright in Spain for a while. I got my first green health card at the centro de salud only a few weeks ago, and all I presented was the blue EU card. The green Spanish one I got is valid for just 6 months, but I was told that I could just have it renewed when it ran out.
To be honest anderso, although you were trying to make an optimistic post, as far as papers go I'm not so sure you've got everything sorted out. I would follow xabiachica's advice.
Also the residencia is a bit of a misnomer. What eu citizens have to do is register. You then receive a certificate saying that you have registered on the foreigner's list. This may or may not have to renewed every few months depending on the region and the changes in the law which are fairly frquent atm, or even on the person who attends you.
Maybe that is what you are talking about when you say the green card. My health card is blue and white. They differ from region to region.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #59 (permalink)  
Old 17th February 2013, 05:02 PM
xabiachica's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Xbia/Jvea (so good they named it twice!) since 2003
Posts: 24,116
Rep Power: 20
xabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond reputexabiachica has a reputation beyond repute
4400 likes received
2148 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky Wesky View Post
To be honest anderso, although you were trying to make an optimistic post, as far as papers go I'm not so sure you've got everything sorted out. I would follow xabiachica's advice.
Also the residencia is a bit of a misnomer. What eu citizens have to do is register. You then receive a certificate saying that you have registered on the foreigner's list. This may or may not have to renewed every few months depending on the region and the changes in the law which are fairly frquent atm, or even on the person who attends you.
Maybe that is what you are talking about when you say the green card. My health card is blue and white. They differ from region to region.
our health cards in the Valencia region are green & white - the permanent ones are proper plastic like a credit cards, the temporary ones are flimsy plasticised card - I think that's what anderso has....

they issue these to desplazados/visitors on showing their blue EHIC card & to those awaiting their permanent cards

they aren't usually supposed to be renewable - you have either left the country/area by the time it has expired, or you are entitled to a permanent one by virtue of being plugged into the system by way of contributions

__________________

DRACO DORMIENS NUNQUAM TITILLANDUS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #60 (permalink)  
Old 17th February 2013, 05:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Valencia
Posts: 59
Rep Power: 0
anderso is on a distinguished road
8 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from denmark. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmie00 View Post
That's not true. You do need to register, like everyone else. It sounds like she was talking about tax residency, not 'residencia'. You are obliged to register at the extranjeria after 90 days in Spain, regardless of where you come from or how long you'll be here.
That's interesting. Do you know how/when this would be checked by the authorities? Or in what situations I would need to present documentation for 'residencia'?

As written, we have been here almost a year, are registered with the municipality, receive health care with our green cards, have bank accounts, own a car, pay our utilities etc. without ever having needed any residencia documentation.

So I'd like to understand why/how this is needed. Thanks ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Teaching English... Help! acrainbow France Expat Forum for Expats Living in France 10 2nd May 2012 02:39 AM
English Speaking Universities in Valencia Spain. Survivor_92 Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 7 28th February 2012 01:53 PM
Official translation in Valencia from Spanish to English parth Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 2 1st February 2012 04:38 PM
Teaching English? Niamh Portugal Expat Forum for Expats Living in Portugal 7 13th December 2011 11:29 AM
Schools in english in valencia area gtaontario Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 2 7th June 2009 02:10 PM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.
FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO