Indian Communities and Social groups

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Australasia > Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia > The Platypus Den


The Platypus Den This new forum is for socialising, networking and off topic discussions for all members either living in or moving to Australia.

Like Tree50Likes

Indian Communities and Social groups


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 31st May 2016, 01:56 PM
oz.productguy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sydney
Posts: 97
Rep Power: 0
oz.productguy is on a distinguished road
14 likes received
15 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default Indian Communities and Social groups

Hi Fellow members,

I am in the process of filing application and making the move to Australia. I wanted to understand from a community perspective, are there Social groups and communities for Indians. My wife is reluctant of moving since, she has not had many opportunities to travel and mingle with a lot of intercultural folks in the past.

Wondering , how would you have gone about helping spouse integrate with the society , locals and finding like minded community members * Not necessarily Indian but any spread.

Guidance is much appreciated.

Note:
My intention is not to seek preference for indian or any other community. My question is aimed to seek guidance around Integration with locals and like minded folks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 31st May 2016, 11:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: India
Posts: 824
Rep Power: 90
funkyzoom is on a distinguished road
586 likes received
168 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz.vidhu View Post
Hi Fellow members,

I am in the process of filing application and making the move to Australia. I wanted to understand from a community perspective, are there Social groups and communities for Indians. My wife is reluctant of moving since, she has not had many opportunities to travel and mingle with a lot of intercultural folks in the past.

Wondering , how would you have gone about helping spouse integrate with the society , locals and finding like minded community members * Not necessarily Indian but any spread.

Guidance is much appreciated.

Note:
My intention is not to seek preference for indian or any other community. My question is aimed to seek guidance around Integration with locals and like minded folks.
My sincere suggestion, ask her to stay away from Indians in Australia. Especially those Indians who have been settled there since a few years. They tend to be selfish, judgemental pricks who are jealous of new immigrants, and try all the tricks in the books to drive them back to India. And they also enjoy poking their nose into everything, constantly asking you every day if you got a job yet, mocking you subtly and stuff. Also, Indian owners/landlords/subletters should be avoided like plague, because they insist on cash transactions.

The locals are pretty nice people, I'm pretty sure your spouse would have no issues integrating with them. My suggestion is that, she should initially stay in the city which will help her appreciate the city/country,and also interact with people from different cultures and ethnicities. Also, if you are considering Sydney, AVOID Western suburbs (especially Parramatta and Strathfiled), because that's where most Indians reside. Indian students aren't an issue, they are actually kind and gentle because they know the struggles. It's the so-called Indian 'professionals' who can't get off their high horses.

P.S. Before someone starts hating on me for this post, I want to make it clear that whatever I have described is based on MY personal experience alone, and others may be lucky enough to encounter non-judgemental, sensible Indians. Also, I have only been to Sydney for a couple of months last year, so things may be different in other cities.

Good luck to you and your wife, hope you people make it big in Australia! If I ever go back again to Australia, I'll make it a point to avoid Indians at all costs.

__________________

04/11/2014 - ACS positive result
28/12/2014 - PTE-A results (L-89, R-82, S-88, W-82)
02/01/2015 - EOI submitted for subclass 189
09/01/2015 - Invite received
22/01/2015 - Application submitted
27/01/2015 - PCC/Health
10/02/2015 - All documents frontloaded
18/03/2015 - Direct Grant
12/06/2015 - Landed in Australia!
11/08/2015 - Returned to India
08/03/2016 - Landed in Oz again
12/09/2016 - Started my first job in Oz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 1st June 2016, 06:36 AM
happyfeet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyzoom View Post
My sincere suggestion, ask her to stay away from Indians in Australia. Especially those Indians who have been settled there since a few years. They tend to be selfish, judgemental pricks who are jealous of new immigrants, and try all the tricks in the books to drive them back to India. And they also enjoy poking their nose into everything, constantly asking you every day if you got a job yet, mocking you subtly and stuff. Also, Indian owners/landlords/subletters should be avoided like plague, because they insist on cash transactions.

The locals are pretty nice people, I'm pretty sure your spouse would have no issues integrating with them. My suggestion is that, she should initially stay in the city which will help her appreciate the city/country,and also interact with people from different cultures and ethnicities. Also, if you are considering Sydney, AVOID Western suburbs (especially Parramatta and Strathfiled), because that's where most Indians reside. Indian students aren't an issue, they are actually kind and gentle because they know the struggles. It's the so-called Indian 'professionals' who can't get off their high horses.

P.S. Before someone starts hating on me for this post, I want to make it clear that whatever I have described is based on MY personal experience alone, and others may be lucky enough to encounter non-judgemental, sensible Indians. Also, I have only been to Sydney for a couple of months last year, so things may be different in other cities.

Good luck to you and your wife, hope you people make it big in Australia! If I ever go back again to Australia, I'll make it a point to avoid Indians at all costs.
Bang ON!!!!!!

I can relate and agree to most of those. I had my 1st bad experience here in Aus when i stayed with an Indian family (recently migrated) on room sharing basis. My life was hell for 2 months and this guy and his wife were so pathetic that they even started to charge me for small things!!!! This guy specifically asked me to pay in cash since he doesnt want Centerlink to come to know about. He was getting child benefits from Centerlink. I was shocked!!!!

Staying with this family partly contributed to me being jobless as i was not able to concentrate in job search.

I usually stay away from Indians because of this experience that i had so its my view. It may vary person to person.

I stay in Parramatta but am glad that there is only 1 indian family in the building with whom i have good relation. I am moving to city to altogether avoid Indians.

You are right about Indians who are citizens here and carry that kind of selfish mentality. And this is in most of cases even if he/she is a Citizen.

I had an interview with Accenture for Melbourne location and i knew i wont be able to make it as soon as i came to know that an Indian would be taking interview. I was right as usual he asked all irrelevant/stupid questions that were not remotely related to the profile i applied for. Interviews with locals here have been an awesome experience.
My wife's 1st interview in Sydney was with an Indian guy and i was pretty sure that she will be asked irrelevant questions and will not be selected. Happened again.
She got selected for another job the next week. Now she too avoids interaction with Indians

Non-Indian locals are good and i havent had any bad experience till date.

Sad part - We cry when an Indian is racially abused somewhere around the world by a Non-Indian but it doesnt matter if we do to a fellow Indian based on caste/religion/looks

My opinion - completely avoid Harris Park and from Westmead towards Blacktown.


Last edited by happyfeet; 1st June 2016 at 06:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 1st June 2016, 06:46 AM
rameshkd's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 960
Rep Power: 0
rameshkd is on a distinguished road
332 likes received
109 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Agree with both the above posts. There's this "been there, done that" attitude which most Indians carry. Regionalism is a big big factor too, there are a number of Indians at my office, during lunch all South Indians sit together and all Hindi speaking sit separately. Being multi lingual and multi cultural, I absolutely hate it.
happyfeet, JK684 and ankitgoel10 like this.

__________________
Moved to Melbourne, Feb 2016
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 1st June 2016, 06:59 AM
happyfeet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshkd View Post
Agree with both the above posts. There's this "been there, done that" attitude which most Indians carry. Regionalism is a big big factor too, there are a number of Indians at my office, during lunch all South Indians sit together and all Hindi speaking sit separately. Being multi lingual and multi cultural, I absolutely hate it.
You know MultiCultural atmosphere in India is a curse in disguise.

We Indians are the best example to actual definition of RACISM.
pon.saravanan likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 1st June 2016, 08:38 AM
oz.productguy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sydney
Posts: 97
Rep Power: 0
oz.productguy is on a distinguished road
14 likes received
15 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Gentlemen,

Thank you for being open and honest. It does take courage to be candid. I have travelled extensively and honestly, I have been more comfortable with Locals than fellow men. Simple reason - For granted - 'Desi Hai, Chalta hai attitude !'.

However, I have also come across genuinely interested and sincere folks who have helped me because of humanity and NOT because they areIndian / Hindi speaking.. They helped because it was the right thing to do. Simple.

Anyways. For folks staying in Sydney, Can you please PM the suburbs I should keep in mind to consider for living and also ones I should avoid.

Again - Kudos to Funkyzoom, RameshKd & Happyfeet for being candid..
freak199 and ankitgoel10 like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 1st June 2016, 10:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: India
Posts: 824
Rep Power: 90
funkyzoom is on a distinguished road
586 likes received
168 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz.productguy View Post
Gentlemen,

Thank you for being open and honest. It does take courage to be candid. I have travelled extensively and honestly, I have been more comfortable with Locals than fellow men. Simple reason - For granted - 'Desi Hai, Chalta hai attitude !'.

However, I have also come across genuinely interested and sincere folks who have helped me because of humanity and NOT because they areIndian / Hindi speaking.. They helped because it was the right thing to do. Simple.

Anyways. For folks staying in Sydney, Can you please PM the suburbs I should keep in mind to consider for living and also ones I should avoid.

Again - Kudos to Funkyzoom, RameshKd & Happyfeet for being candid..
Sure, I can try to help you out with that.

Your first choice should obviously be the city, and surrounding areas (which include Ultimo, Chippendale, Haymarket, Pyrmont, Surry Hills and Darlinghurst). Next, consider suburbs along the T3 Illawara train line. Suburbs like Rockdale or Kogarah should be good if you like some peace and quiet. Or if you would want a more city-like atmosphere, try Hurstville (which is on the same line). Most other suburbs should be fine as well, such as Mcquerie Park or Chatswood. Also, try not to stay too far away from the city. By train, travel time should ideally be less than 30 minutes (to the city).

Just avoid Western suburbs (most Indians stay in these suburbs), and you should be good! Also, you may not want to consider suburbs dominated by Xxxxx or other xxxxx faith such as Lakemba, Auburn and a few more. Nothing against them, but these suburbs are too crowded, and don't really feel like Australia. These areas are also a bit unhygienic.
ankitgoel10 and Namjk like this.

__________________

04/11/2014 - ACS positive result
28/12/2014 - PTE-A results (L-89, R-82, S-88, W-82)
02/01/2015 - EOI submitted for subclass 189
09/01/2015 - Invite received
22/01/2015 - Application submitted
27/01/2015 - PCC/Health
10/02/2015 - All documents frontloaded
18/03/2015 - Direct Grant
12/06/2015 - Landed in Australia!
11/08/2015 - Returned to India
08/03/2016 - Landed in Oz again
12/09/2016 - Started my first job in Oz

Last edited by girlaussie; 3rd June 2016 at 12:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 1st June 2016, 11:07 PM
happyfeet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz.productguy View Post
Gentlemen,

Thank you for being open and honest. It does take courage to be candid. I have travelled extensively and honestly, I have been more comfortable with Locals than fellow men. Simple reason - For granted - 'Desi Hai, Chalta hai attitude !'.

However, I have also come across genuinely interested and sincere folks who have helped me because of humanity and NOT because they areIndian / Hindi speaking.. They helped because it was the right thing to do. Simple.

Anyways. For folks staying in Sydney, Can you please PM the suburbs I should keep in mind to consider for living and also ones I should avoid.

Again - Kudos to Funkyzoom, RameshKd & Happyfeet for being candid..

I too have met 2 expatforum members who helped me with my Visa process. I only had chance to meet 1 of them in Sydney. But that constitutes only 10% and i expressed my experience for the rest 90%.

You have to be clear with what you want while choosing any suburb. For me it was

1. 5-10 min walk to Station (frequent trains to my workplace) and Mall
2. Less commuting time if i go by car
3. Quiet
4. Ofsource to stay among locals
ankitgoel10 likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 2nd June 2016, 12:14 AM
happybuddha's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 621
Rep Power: 119
happybuddha has a spectacular aura abouthappybuddha has a spectacular aura about
240 likes received
316 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfeet View Post
This guy specifically asked me to pay in cash since he doesnt want Centerlink to come to know about. He was getting child benefits from Centerlink. I was shocked!!!!
This is illegal and must be reported to Centrelink, if you haven't still done so. Even an anonymous tip will do.
ankitgoel10 likes this.

__________________
I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 2nd June 2016, 06:05 AM
happyfeet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybuddha View Post
This is illegal and must be reported to Centrelink, if you haven't still done so. Even an anonymous tip will do.
I would have loved to but didnt. He always played "poor financial backup" card to justify his behavior.
ankitgoel10 likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social Groups topcat83 New Zealand Expat Forum for Expats Living in New Zealand 13 2nd April 2014 01:14 PM
Gay Social Groups jenkins504 Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 4 28th March 2012 11:47 AM
social groups griz616 Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 1 6th February 2009 04:31 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Back