UK phones

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Australasia > New Zealand Expat Forum for Expats Living in New Zealand

New Zealand Expat Forum for Expats Living in New Zealand Have you moved to New Zealand from another country? Or are you thinking about making New Zealand your new home? Want to meet others like you and discuss Real Estate, sport, socialising, food, cars, insurance, laws, taxes and anything related to New Zealand?

UK phones


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 8th January 2013, 07:19 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: England
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 0
maxijud is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default UK phones

Can anyone tell me if UK phones work in New Zealand.

We are moving out in May and trying to work out what to bring. Got most things sorted but this one is left on the list of things to sort out.

Many thanks.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 8th January 2013, 09:34 PM
Higgy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Default

Our UK mobile phones work fine, you just have to get them unlocked and that can take some time especially if you are with O2 ( they had internal issues)

Then get a NZ Sim, we were with 2Degrees and they were good.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2013, 12:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Auckland
Posts: 219
Rep Power: 713
kiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond repute
24 likes received
4 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default GSM Phones

Higgy's correct, GSM phones work with Vodaphone and 2 degrees, but a lot will not work on Telecom, you need a tri-band phone. I got caught out buying a parallel import Samsung, but my wife,s tablet can use my sim.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2013, 12:26 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 0
tocker is on a distinguished road

Default

Does this include iPhones? Will they work over in nz?

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2013, 01:25 AM
Higgy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Default

We bought a friends UK Iphone4, he got it unlocked from O2, posted it over to NZ and it works fine here using 2Degrees.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2013, 04:09 AM
escapedtonz's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tawa, Wellington
Posts: 1,905
Rep Power: 140
escapedtonz will become famous soon enoughescapedtonz will become famous soon enough
317 likes received
13 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocker
Does this include iPhones? Will they work over in nz?
Hey tocker,
We brought over 2 x UK iPhone 4's.

We had them on contract with Orange.
Approx 6 weeks before we left I requested the phones to be unlocked to all networks.
Took approx 1 week and it can be a rip off cost-wise as all you are doing is paying for the instructions to unlock via iTunes.
Luckily for us Orange forgot to add the charges to our final bills ha ha so didn't cost us a penny.

Around the same time I went online and ordered 2 x micro SIM cards from a SIM card retailer in NZ. Purchased the 2Degrees ones especially for the iPhone 4.
These cost approx 40 for both on Pay As U Go and these were posted out to us from NZ to UK so we already had the SIM cards and new moby numbers before we left so we could pass on to family and friends.

On arrival we just swapped the SIM cards and job done.
There are a few settings that need changing in the phone due to the new time zone and you'll find a lot of the apps can't be updated or are useless.
You'll also need to update your iTunes settings.
I'd recommend deleting all the UK apps and starting again.

After a couple of weeks we transferred the sims onto pay monthly. Just a lot easier to handle. Phones work fine.

We used to pay 35 a month each and got 200 mins free to mobiles and landlines in UK, 500 texts & 750 mb Internet plus free home broadband.
Bill usually around 40 a month each.

Here we pay $39 a month each and get 200 mins free to mobiles and landlines in NZ, 500 texts & 1.1 gb Internet but no free home broadband.
Bill usually around $40 a month each but costs us an extra $75 a month for home broadband from another provider.

All in all we pay slightly less here for mobile usage and home broadband.

Cheers

__________________
EOI, selection from pool & ITA Jan 2010.
Residency under SMC submitted Apr 2010. Visa's approved July 2011. Secured job Dec 2011. Arrived Mar 2012. Applied for PRV March 2014, approved March 2014.........
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2013, 07:07 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: England
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 0
maxijud is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default Uk phones in NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxijud View Post
Can anyone tell me if UK phones work in New Zealand.

We are moving out in May and trying to work out what to bring. Got most things sorted but this one is left on the list of things to sort out.

Many thanks.
Thanks everyone for the helpful info. Did mean mobiles but it has also made me think about our landline phones too. I know that the jacks are the same but do the phones work?

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2013, 07:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Whangaparaoa
Posts: 695
Rep Power: 0
Liam(at)Large is on a distinguished road
49 likes received
1 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from canada. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

As said above, you need to have a network unlocked phone, our factory unlocked iPhone 4Ss work great, excellent reception on Telecom everywhere. 2Degrees is a new network, not great coverage nationwide, but good in major cities, has the worst data speeds of any NZ provider, data is my number 1 cellular use, need the speed!


Last edited by Liam(at)Large; 9th January 2013 at 07:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2013, 09:03 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: England
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 0
maxijud is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapedtonz View Post
Hey tocker,
We brought over 2 x UK iPhone 4's.

We had them on contract with Orange.
Approx 6 weeks before we left I requested the phones to be unlocked to all networks.
Took approx 1 week and it can be a rip off cost-wise as all you are doing is paying for the instructions to unlock via iTunes.
Luckily for us Orange forgot to add the charges to our final bills ha ha so didn't cost us a penny.

Around the same time I went online and ordered 2 x micro SIM cards from a SIM card retailer in NZ. Purchased the 2Degrees ones especially for the iPhone 4.
These cost approx 40 for both on Pay As U Go and these were posted out to us from NZ to UK so we already had the SIM cards and new moby numbers before we left so we could pass on to family and friends.

On arrival we just swapped the SIM cards and job done.
There are a few settings that need changing in the phone due to the new time zone and you'll find a lot of the apps can't be updated or are useless.
You'll also need to update your iTunes settings.
I'd recommend deleting all the UK apps and starting again.

After a couple of weeks we transferred the sims onto pay monthly. Just a lot easier to handle. Phones work fine.

We used to pay 35 a month each and got 200 mins free to mobiles and landlines in UK, 500 texts & 750 mb Internet plus free home broadband.
Bill usually around 40 a month each.

Here we pay $39 a month each and get 200 mins free to mobiles and landlines in NZ, 500 texts & 1.1 gb Internet but no free home broadband.
Bill usually around $40 a month each but costs us an extra $75 a month for home broadband from another provider.

All in all we pay slightly less here for mobile usage and home broadband.

Cheers


Many thanks for your informative reply. Answered hubby's questions about his i-phone. We are going to be fairly remote up in Leigh so just hope that the coverage will be good. Know we can have broadband but it is SLOW which will take some getting used to.

So much to think about and so little time...

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 9th January 2013, 09:06 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: England
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 0
maxijud is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam(at)Large View Post
As said above, you need to have a network unlocked phone, our factory unlocked iPhone 4Ss work great, excellent reception on Telecom everywhere. 2Degrees is a new network, not great coverage nationwide, but good in major cities, has the worst data speeds of any NZ provider, data is my number 1 cellular use, need the speed!
Many thanks for the reply. Don't think that 2degrees will work for us up in Leigh so will have to investigate the Telecom option. Will have to start with the pay as you go option first until our house is finished in September but hopefully by then we will have the joys of phones/broadband sorted out by then.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mobile phones toppers4 Cyprus Expat Forum for Expats Living in Cyprus 5 19th May 2012 05:19 PM
Mobile phones Pesky Wesky Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 24 3rd September 2010 12:30 PM
Prepaid phones for Japan and renta phones Ben Yoshida Japan Expat Forum for Expats Living in Japan 1 26th May 2010 10:13 AM
Home Phones And Cell Phones! Jane America Expat Forum for Expats Living in America 16 29th October 2008 12:57 AM
Cell phones newlife33 Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 4 26th August 2007 12:20 AM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.
FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO