Any Bored Brits in Calabria? - Page 2

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy

Italy Expat Forum for Expats Living in Italy Welcome to the Italy Expat forum. This is the place to meet like minded expats that have made themselves a new Italian lifestyle. This forum is ideal for Expats that have moved to Italy and those planning a move.

Any Bored Brits in Calabria? - Page 2


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 14th June 2008, 03:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York State, United States
Posts: 142
Rep Power: 0
maryann is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2goodhome View Post
hi anita i hope you are ok i am in the same boat just buying a wee home here warm regards charlie please keep in touch
Hello, there, my name is MaryAnn an my husband and I are visiiting Calabria in July. How did the home buying go? Where did you find a town of your liking?
We will be touring the coastlines to see an area that we feel we could live in for good. We would like to have a 2 bedroom home, moderately priced.
Would love to hear of tips on the house buying. Is it better to pay by mortgage?
MaryAnn

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 17th July 2008, 09:59 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
jessicabrunino is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default Work in Calabria?????

Hi Anita,

My name is Jessica, I am a Canadian Citizen and plan on moving to the South of Italy (preferably Calabria or Sicily) by the end of August/beginning of September.

I intend on staying for a year and thus need to work to survive. I was wondering if you could provide any advice/tips/info etc. in regards to any available work in Calabria. I am an Early Childhood Educator and Social Worker but am open to any type of work (farming, nannying, working in a cafe etc.) I just really want to get there!

Any words of wisdom??? Looking forward to hearing from you.
You can contact me at jbrunino@yahoo.ca

Cheers,
Jessica

P.S What have you been doing in Calabria in terms of work?

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 18th July 2008, 08:24 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 0
free2goodhome is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Anita How Are You? I Have Been To Siderno But Still Looking Really Liked The People But Going Out Again September

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 11th March 2009, 04:27 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Leicestershire England
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
Gail Moreton is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default Gailmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennywren View Post
Hi Anitamort, it's jennywren. We are just in the process of buying a house in Fiumefreddo near Amentea a bit north of you. When we get settled out there would love to make contact. You would be able to tell me the do's and dont's of Calabrian life. hope it's as good as it looks. will keep in touch.
Jennywren,
I assume by now you are settled in Calabria. We have bought an apartment in Falerna Marina which is not too far south of you.
We still live in the UK but come to Calabria often. Our next visit is planned in about 3 weeks (April 09). We often go to the market in Amentea but I can't say that I know Fiumefreddo. Please feel free to contact me if you wish

Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 12th March 2009, 11:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York State, United States
Posts: 142
Rep Power: 0
maryann is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Moreton View Post
Jennywren,
I assume by now you are settled in Calabria. We have bought an apartment in Falerna Marina which is not too far south of you.
We still live in the UK but come to Calabria often. Our next visit is planned in about 3 weeks (April 09). We often go to the market in Amentea but I can't say that I know Fiumefreddo. Please feel free to contact me if you wish
Hi, my name is MaryAnn, and we are planning to move to Calabria permanently after finding a home. We are looking on the west coast and do not want a tall, modern apartment building, as in Scalea,nor do we want a holiday resort. We want a town where people live all year round. Can you describe Falerna Marina?
I would love to wake up in the morning, go out my door, and be able to see people once in a while. Maybe walk to the cafe, have a coffee, talk. I also want a sea view. I prefer an independent home, but a townhouse is fine or attached or detached home. Need 2 bedrooms. We are going in July. It would be good to find a place to rent for the 2 weeks at a low price. The trip is costing a lot, with the car rental and air.
Hope to hear from you,
MaryAnn

Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 12th March 2009, 11:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York State, United States
Posts: 142
Rep Power: 0
maryann is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennywren View Post
Hi Anitamort, it's jennywren. We are just in the process of buying a house in Fiumefreddo near Amentea a bit north of you. When we get settled out there would love to make contact. You would be able to tell me the do's and dont's of Calabrian life. hope it's as good as it looks. will keep in touch.
Hi, Jennywren, gee, we could all have a grand time together. I live in America, NY State, and we are looking on the west coast of Calabria in July. We were there last July, traveled both coasts. We plan on living there permanently and are coming to find and buy a place. Tell me, do you think 20 days is enough time to find a 2 bedroom home, with a sea view, near people who live there all year. No holiday resort or tall apartment buildings. A townhouse is great or independent home. Can you tell me how Fiumefreddo is, please? We were there a short bit last July for a couple hours, but I cannot remember if it is filled with the tall apt buildings or if there is potential. We were in Amantea and stayed at the Hotel Mariblu for about 2 or 3 days. I am worried I will not finish the search, but I am determined. I realize there is a compromise. What do you think, Jennywren? Did it take you long? The trips are too costly to keep doing this once a year. My husband only has the 2 weeks for this trip; need to save his other week for returning for the closing.
I wish you luck. Are you moving alone?
MaryAnn

Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 13th March 2009, 09:38 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Leicestershire England
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
Gail Moreton is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default Gailmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryann View Post
Hi, my name is MaryAnn, and we are planning to move to Calabria permanently after finding a home. We are looking on the west coast and do not want a tall, modern apartment building, as in Scalea,nor do we want a holiday resort. We want a town where people live all year round. Can you describe Falerna Marina?
I would love to wake up in the morning, go out my door, and be able to see people once in a while. Maybe walk to the cafe, have a coffee, talk. I also want a sea view. I prefer an independent home, but a townhouse is fine or attached or detached home. Need 2 bedrooms. We are going in July. It would be good to find a place to rent for the 2 weeks at a low price. The trip is costing a lot, with the car rental and air.
Hope to hear from you,
MaryAnn
MaryAnn,
Falerna Marina is a small seaside town but not particuarly busy for 11 months of the year. August is the busiest time. There are a few restaurants/Pizzerias some nice gelaterias and the locals are very friendly. We tend to use the same green grocers and small supermarket, Pizzeria etc and already the locals recognise us and stop for a chat. It is quite an old town but it does have a lovely modern promenade which is nice to stroll along in the evening. We do have a modern apartment but the building is only 3 storeys high. You will find that in Italy real high rises are not allowed. We are about 3 minutes ride away from Falerna Marina. Our apartment is set back from the coast road known as the SS18. We are about 10 mins drive from Lamezia Terme airport. We visit about 5 times a year and we do plan to visit from 6th - 15th July.
Please keep in touch
Regards
Gailmore

Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 05:22 PM
luiss_in_basilicata
This message has been deleted by Veronica. Reason: advertising, please upgrade to premium membership if you wish to advertise
Old 13th March 2009, 05:28 PM
luiss_in_basilicata
This message has been deleted by Veronica.
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 13th March 2009, 05:33 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Leicestershire England
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
Gail Moreton is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default Gailmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by luiss_in_basilicata View Post
I forget to say....my girlfriend is English so she will have someone to chat with....
Where does your girlfriend live? Does she have a place in Calabria?

Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 05:34 PM
luiss_in_basilicata
This message has been deleted by Veronica. Reason: advertising, please upgrade to premium membership if you wish to advertise
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 13th March 2009, 05:41 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lauria, basilicata
Posts: 18
Rep Power: 0
luiss_in_basilicata will become famous soon enough

Users Flag! Originally from italy. Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Moreton View Post
Where does your girlfriend live? Does she have a place in Calabria?
Unfortunately for me, she lives in London.....she has bought a place in Basilicata and we fall in love just after....

Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 13th March 2009, 10:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York State, United States
Posts: 142
Rep Power: 0
maryann is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in italy.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Moreton View Post
MaryAnn,
Falerna Marina is a small seaside town but not particuarly busy for 11 months of the year. August is the busiest time. There are a few restaurants/Pizzerias some nice gelaterias and the locals are very friendly. We tend to use the same green grocers and small supermarket, Pizzeria etc and already the locals recognise us and stop for a chat. It is quite an old town but it does have a lovely modern promenade which is nice to stroll along in the evening. We do have a modern apartment but the building is only 3 storeys high. You will find that in Italy real high rises are not allowed. We are about 3 minutes ride away from Falerna Marina. Our apartment is set back from the coast road known as the SS18. We are about 10 mins drive from Lamezia Terme airport. We visit about 5 times a year and we do plan to visit from 6th - 15th July.
Please keep in touch
Regards
Gailmore
Hi, Gailmore, thanks for the reply. Tell me, can you suggest a town on the west coast that appears to be busy more than 1 or 2 mos. of the year? I know Scalea has about 10000 residents, but as mentioned, I am looking for a typical Italian little home, not an apartment building. I see how Falerna is and I am glad to know it. Don't want solitude like that. Just hope I can find something in my 20 days. Have a lot on the Internet, but many are either apt. buildings or holiday resort complexes, like a condo, that are also non busy.
Thanks.
MaryAnn

Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 10:16 AM
luiss_in_basilicata
This message has been deleted by Veronica. Reason: advertising, please upgrade to premium membership if you wish to advertise
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I am so bored... what shall i do? Hassli Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 9 25th February 2011 10:26 AM
Alone & Bored in Red Sea? Horus Egypt Expat Forum for Expats Living in Egypt 18 23rd January 2011 04:54 PM
Bored nola Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 1 5th September 2010 01:08 PM
Bored Bored Bored Andy Capp Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 15 26th November 2008 10:14 AM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.
FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO