Sal : 3500 AED + Acc + Transport

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Middle East > Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai

Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai Have you made Dubai your new home? Are you thinking about moving to Dubai? If you want meet like minded Expats living in Dubai then you have come to the right place. Join the Dubai Expat Forum and discuss food, meet friends, talk property in Dubai, finances, jobs and much much more.

Sal : 3500 AED + Acc + Transport


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11th November 2010, 05:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: uae
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 5171
mohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond repute

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default Sal : 3500 AED + Acc + Transport

Thats the kind of mess i have got myself into.. Arghhh.. I Am a mechanical engineer with 1 year of full time experience as a production engineer in a high precision industry ( watch making industry). and 3 years part time experience in business development ( part time ) in a advertising firm....both in india..

In the current company, M serving as a MEP quantity surveyor and Project Coordinator.

The accomodation... m stuffed into a 2 bed-room apartment in AL-Khail ( which is like miles away from any reacreation) with 6 more people...who speak nothin other than malyali(Language oif keralites)..and transport, They pick and drop me in one of thier Pick up Vans ( the ones used to transfer commodities)..

And the work hours are like 6:30 am to 5:30 pm...6 days a week.


Hmmm..Okie..thats d kind of mess i ve got myself into..i never realised it untill i went through the whole forum..lol..


The reason for posting = Sheer frustration)



@ PAM : I know u gonna find a lot of text speak and spell errors out there...Its hard to get off some bad habits..

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11th November 2010, 06:23 AM
dizzyizzy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 5,139
Rep Power: 609567
dizzyizzy has a reputation beyond reputedizzyizzy has a reputation beyond reputedizzyizzy has a reputation beyond reputedizzyizzy has a reputation beyond reputedizzyizzy has a reputation beyond reputedizzyizzy has a reputation beyond reputedizzyizzy has a reputation beyond reputedizzyizzy has a reputation beyond reputedizzyizzy has a reputation beyond reputedizzyizzy has a reputation beyond reputedizzyizzy has a reputation beyond repute
1057 likes received
771 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uae. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Hi Mohammed,

Sorry to hear, doesn't sound like a great situation to be at. Just out of curiosity, what was exactly what was offered to you before you signed up? Would be interesting to see how much the actual offer matches reality (or not).

Thanks for posting this, I think is very good for people who are considering taking up job offers in Dubai to read about your experience and take precautions when deciding to move or not. Sadly even in spite of posts like yours, some people still don't do their homework before accepting the offers, only to find themselves in a difficult situation afterwards. For some, even if they did their homework, things can turn sour if their employer turns out to be a dodgy one.

Hope it gets better for you!!

(And thanks for following the non textspeak forum rule).

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11th November 2010, 06:44 AM
Laowei's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 524
Rep Power: 103244
Laowei has a reputation beyond reputeLaowei has a reputation beyond reputeLaowei has a reputation beyond reputeLaowei has a reputation beyond reputeLaowei has a reputation beyond reputeLaowei has a reputation beyond reputeLaowei has a reputation beyond reputeLaowei has a reputation beyond reputeLaowei has a reputation beyond reputeLaowei has a reputation beyond reputeLaowei has a reputation beyond repute
137 likes received
151 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Hi Mohammed, sorry for your story unfortunately i think it seems to be a very common story especially amongts brothers and sisters from the sub-continent. There does seem to be quite a few posters who are offered positions here at low salaries for Dubai but comparable or higher than they are used to back, which blinds them somewhat reality.

Some people may be happy with what you have, and having worked a lot particularly in India i can see the draw of Dubai versus certain areas in Chennai, Delhi etc. Cant comment on Pakistan or bangledesh put can surmise. Think it would be useful as Dizzy mentioned to post in more detail your story to help people who considering coming to Dubai to join 'the gold rush' to understand that life can sometimes be tough and all that glitters isnt always gold.

Good luck

  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11th November 2010, 06:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: uae
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 5171
mohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond repute

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyizzy View Post
Hi Mohammed,

Sorry to hear, doesn't sound like a great situation to be at. Just out of curiosity, what was exactly what was offered to you before you signed up? Would be interesting to see how much the actual offer matches reality (or not).

Thanks for posting this, I think is very good for people who are considering taking up job offers in Dubai to read about your experience and take precautions when deciding to move or not. Sadly even in spite of posts like yours, some people still don't do their homework before accepting the offers, only to find themselves in a difficult situation afterwards. For some, even if they did their homework, things can turn sour if their employer turns out to be a dodgy one.

Hope it gets better for you!!

(And thanks for following the non textspeak forum rule).


Hmm.. The initial stages before i laid my documents.. Evrything was so neat and good..They made me feel like a real engineer... But once i said an yes.. things have turned around..

In the initial , The terms werent specified , ..i ve my mistake there..i dint feel the neccesity to actually dig into matters more cause the way the general manager put out things was good. And he also was a lil friendly... And way back in my hometown (Bangalore,India)..an engineer is always given his due respect..and i thought the same shall be followed here.. So din dig into things..


And its just 4 weeks into my job...and now they ve hired a quantity surveyor who is ready for work for half the wage... So they are trying to push me onto the site..

The accomodation is in AL-Khail, The site in ABU-Dhabi... and.... They wont be giving me a NOC for my driving license untill i complete atleast an year... SO basically if i ve to be on site..will ve to leave my place by 4am..travel all the way to abu-dhabi ( stuffed into a bus filled with labours) and back home by 8pm....

Hmmm.. Now the reason i got stuxk into this ****..

Hmm..a bad relationship... Wanted a break...hopped onto the next flight and landed here..initial days were good....thought working here would be nice.. so just applied and got a call back within 15 min and was hired by the end of the day..Emotionally was in abad siuation, so dint think of anything other than just keeping myself busy for sometime....

They dint gimme the accomodation untill i submitted my documents..(they were coming up with all lame exuses)..and once formalities started..Thats when i was permitted to enter the real world..he he

Mornin 5:30 am, A pick up van ( loaded with materials for the site ) picks me up...have to squeese my ass between a few stinking labourers .. ( My deo expenses have gone high .. to beat the stink ).. M dumped near the office.....my work timings are till 4:30...but the pick-up van doesn show up till 6:00..so i am forced to work extra every day...

And the last part. The comapny works even on Gov HOLS and U get a vacation just once in 2 years and if the ticket expenses are more than 1100.. Its should be beared by the employee..

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11th November 2010, 07:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: uae
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 5171
mohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond repute

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

@pam : i hope u are gonna read this..if u do..plsss excuse me again for the Spelling erorrs and the text speak... Its just the lack of privacy in my cabin .. I just ve to type superfast .. thanks to my ever niggling manager..

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11th November 2010, 07:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: uae
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 5171
mohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond repute

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

The reason i am posting this...

I just came across a lot of posts in the forum , where people are planning to move in..

So before moving , do be certain about all terms and conditions your firm offers..
And ask them to make everything transparent...


And wheras my story goes... I am into this mess by choice ( rather a really bad decision forced by an emotional turmoil) ..cant help it..rather than getting depressed and devoloping a looser feeling...i will have to learn to live with it


Whereas i did think about walking into the labour court... But if i did, i shall be affecting the whole company.. which also employs a lot of labours who struggle in the hot sun , just to make ends meet...

Cause of travelling with them.. I do get to converse with them and they share all thier problems and experiences.. they really have a dogs life here.. And they cant even try to change it cause to support thier families and give them a quality life back home..they do have to go under a lot of pain....listening to them , i feel i am so lucky cause i dont have a family to support nor i am bound to live here.. i can break the contract anyday and walk away ( i will have to bear the expenses ... arghhh..he he)...


Last edited by dizzyizzy; 11th November 2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: removed textspeak
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11th November 2010, 09:13 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 34
Rep Power: 2403
Gigi 1974 has a reputation beyond reputeGigi 1974 has a reputation beyond reputeGigi 1974 has a reputation beyond reputeGigi 1974 has a reputation beyond reputeGigi 1974 has a reputation beyond reputeGigi 1974 has a reputation beyond reputeGigi 1974 has a reputation beyond reputeGigi 1974 has a reputation beyond reputeGigi 1974 has a reputation beyond reputeGigi 1974 has a reputation beyond reputeGigi 1974 has a reputation beyond repute

Users Flag! Originally from southafrica. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedmanzoor View Post
The reason i am posting this...

I just came across a lot of posts in the forum , where people are planning to move in..

So before moving , do be certain about all terms and conditions your firm offers..
And ask them to make everything transparent...


And wheras my story goes... I am into this mess by choice ( rather a really bad decision forced by an emotional turmoil) ..cant help it..rather than getting depressed and devoloping a looser feeling...i will have to learn to live with it


Whereas i did think about walking into the labour court... But if i did, i shall be affecting the whole company.. which also employs a lot of labours who struggle in the hot sun , just to make ends meet...

Cause of travelling with them.. I do get to converse with them and they share all thier problems and experiences.. they really have a dogs life here.. And they cant even try to change it cause to support thier families and give them a quality life back home..they do have to go under a lot of pain....listening to them , i feel i am so lucky cause i dont have a family to support nor i am bound to live here.. i can break the contract anyday and walk away ( i will have to bear the expenses ... arghhh..he he)...
Now this was worth the read Mohammed, I wish you all the best and hope that the heart heals soon enough

__________________
Seriously not in any mood
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11th November 2010, 09:35 AM
pamela0810's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 9,012
Rep Power: 1003221
pamela0810 has a reputation beyond reputepamela0810 has a reputation beyond reputepamela0810 has a reputation beyond reputepamela0810 has a reputation beyond reputepamela0810 has a reputation beyond reputepamela0810 has a reputation beyond reputepamela0810 has a reputation beyond reputepamela0810 has a reputation beyond reputepamela0810 has a reputation beyond reputepamela0810 has a reputation beyond reputepamela0810 has a reputation beyond repute
1851 likes received
2567 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Sorry about what you are going through Mohammed. I have a friend who came to Dubai without consulting any of us. He was offered a Sales Manager's position and when he got here, was made to work in one of the jewellery stores in Bur Dubai. He left and went back to India within 2 months. Then there was a relative of mine who got offered a Sales Executive's position in Dubai. She had better sense to call us and ask us about the company. Turns out it was for supermarket chain and they were offering her INR 10,000 (AED800) a month which at that time looked like a great offer for someone just starting up! You will come across many horror stories because, like Laowei has pointed out, people are enamoured by the glamourous side of Dubai.

What do you plan on doing to make things better for yourself? How much will it cost you to go back home and do you have enough money to pay the company back? I wish there was something that we could do to help but it seems like the company hasn't done anything illegal aside from the no NOC and the extended working hours. So doubt you will have much luck in the labour department. It's just horrible working conditions and I really hope things get better.

On a side note, and I'm only pointing this out because you mentioned it elsewhere on the forum too but the language of the Keralites is Malayalam and not Malayali....the people of Kerala are called Malayalis. Hope you don't mind!

  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11th November 2010, 09:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: uae
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 5171
mohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond repute

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamela0810 View Post
Sorry about what you are going through Mohammed. I have a friend who came to Dubai without consulting any of us. He was offered a Sales Manager's position and when he got here, was made to work in one of the jewellery stores in Bur Dubai. He left and went back to India within 2 months. Then there was a relative of mine who got offered a Sales Executive's position in Dubai. She had better sense to call us and ask us about the company. Turns out it was for supermarket chain and they were offering her INR 10,000 (AED800) a month which at that time looked like a great offer for someone just starting up! You will come across many horror stories because, like Laowei has pointed out, people are enamoured by the glamourous side of Dubai.

What do you plan on doing to make things better for yourself? How much will it cost you to go back home and do you have enough money to pay the company back? I wish there was something that we could do to help but it seems like the company hasn't done anything illegal aside from the no NOC and the extended working hours. So doubt you will have much luck in the labour department. It's just horrible working conditions and I really hope things get better.

On a side note, and I'm only pointing this out because you mentioned it elsewhere on the forum too but the language of the Keralites is Malayalam and not Malayali....the people of Kerala are called Malayalis. Hope you don't mind!
Hey Pamela...!!!

Abt the money factor..Not a problem at all.. Cause i come from one of the well known and financially sound families of bangalore..

M here just for a little bit of experience...after a certain time,will relocate to bangalore and try to establish my own consultancy..i am basically here just for the exposure... And anyday i want to quit.. i can bear the charges .. thats not a problem.. And by the post i am nt actually tryin to grab some sympathy... its just for people who are looking out for a job in dubai..to just be a lil carefull and cautious before getting into a agreement or a contact with any firm...

Btw m enjoyin the experience of living and travelling with labours... have never seen that end of life..so its like something new and interesting.. They are a wonderfull bunch of people.. And cause m an engineer..they always try to make me feel good and take care..everyone treats me like a kid and are helping me to cope wid the situation..


Arghhhhh... too much of Tragedy....he he

Sorry for the whole tragic tale..Its the frustration..had to come out.. Cant express it to my colleagues or roomies..lol

  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11th November 2010, 09:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: uae
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 5171
mohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond reputemohammedmanzoor has a reputation beyond repute

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Thanksssss a tonzzz to everyone for the concern...Feelin much better..

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transport inysteve Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 1 23rd May 2011 02:22 PM
Transport from UK to PT robc Portugal Expat Forum for Expats Living in Portugal 14 26th June 2010 04:38 PM
3500 Free Satellite Channels!!! ???? Goatherd General Expat Discussions 0 26th June 2010 12:29 PM
transport from UK jaynie100 Greece Expat Forum for Expats Living in Greece 3 7th April 2010 06:37 PM
Dog Transport planetmars24 Portugal Expat Forum for Expats Living in Portugal 4 26th February 2010 11:31 PM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.
FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO