Best way to get Canadian work visa?

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > North America > Canada Expat Forum for Expats Living in Canada

Canada Expat Forum for Expats Living in Canada The Canada Expats forum is a great place to meet other Expats now living in Canada. Join our Expat community and discuss all issues including living, working, kids, transportation, socialising, eating and buying houses in Canada.

Best way to get Canadian work visa?


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 25th September 2011, 07:20 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
AB-UK is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in canada.
Default Best way to get Canadian work visa?

I'm very early on in the process of finding out information at the moment - I don't know much about Canadian immigration. What is the best way for a civil engineer (MEng degree, 3 years experience, 26 years old) to apply for permanent residency in Canada? I am aware that you usually need a written job offer to be accepted, although Quebec is a bit easier to get into if you can speak French, but I only have limited knowledge of the language

What is the best way of going about doing this? Just write to loads of employers and hope that someone is willing to wait however long it could take to finally be able to move to Canada with a PR card, or is it better to go under the working holiday program, find a job to work immediately, then apply for PR? I'm not sure where to start as I can't imagine any employers willing to hire someone who can't work for a long period of time.

Thanks for any help!

P.S. I know that the Provincial Nomination schemes are often recommended, but it seems that they also require a written job offer too, unless you're fluent in French (Quebec).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 25th September 2011, 07:35 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 709
Rep Power: 0
G-Mo is on a distinguished road
34 likes received
2 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from canada. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Easiest way is to get a job offer. Employer then has to apply for a Labour Market Option (LMO) to employ you from overseas, if successful you would be granted a temporary work permit (TWP) and you could start work in Canada.

Perhaps your occupation is on the list, then you could apply for PR as part of the Skilled Worker Program.

You could try coming on a working holiday visa, however, I am not sure what you would need to do after the visa expires to continue working. I do know the program is closed for 2011, and it has yet to be announced when the 2012 program will start or what the volume will be.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 25th September 2011, 09:20 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
AB-UK is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in canada.
Default

Ok then - if I get a job offer, how long would it usually be until I would be allowed to work? I just can't imagine an employer committing for months (or even years) down the line, so is a temporary work permit usually quick to gain, and would that be a possible route to permanent residency?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 25th September 2011, 09:24 PM
JGK's Avatar
JGK JGK is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vegreville, AB
Posts: 223
Rep Power: 0
JGK is on a distinguished road
18 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in canada.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
I'm very early on in the process of finding out information at the moment - I don't know much about Canadian immigration. What is the best way for a civil engineer (MEng degree, 3 years experience, 26 years old) to apply for permanent residency in Canada? I am aware that you usually need a written job offer to be accepted, although Quebec is a bit easier to get into if you can speak French, but I only have limited knowledge of the language

What is the best way of going about doing this? Just write to loads of employers and hope that someone is willing to wait however long it could take to finally be able to move to Canada with a PR card, or is it better to go under the working holiday program, find a job to work immediately, then apply for PR? I'm not sure where to start as I can't imagine any employers willing to hire someone who can't work for a long period of time.

Thanks for any help!

P.S. I know that the Provincial Nomination schemes are often recommended, but it seems that they also require a written job offer too, unless you're fluent in French (Quebec).
At your age the BUNAC working holiday visa would be your best bet to get out here quickly. It's valid for 1 year but is NOT renewable.

If you get a permanent job in your field look at the prospects for provincial nomination. Getting a provincial nomination aids in getting a TWP when your holiday visa expires. If that isn't possible you employer can apply for a LMO and if that is positive you can apply for a TWP.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 25th September 2011, 09:36 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 709
Rep Power: 0
G-Mo is on a distinguished road
34 likes received
2 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from canada. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
Ok then - if I get a job offer, how long would it usually be until I would be allowed to work? I just can't imagine an employer committing for months (or even years) down the line, so is a temporary work permit usually quick to gain, and would that be a possible route to permanent residency?
The most difficult part will be finding an employer willing to submit for a LMO. Once submitted, LMO processing time seems to be about 6-8 weeks presently. Once the LMO is granted, and as long as your job does not require a medical, you can present the LMO at Point of Entry (POE) and have your TWP issued on the spot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 25th September 2011, 09:40 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 709
Rep Power: 0
G-Mo is on a distinguished road
34 likes received
2 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from canada. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGK View Post
At your age the BUNAC working holiday visa would be your best bet to get out here quickly. It's valid for 1 year but is NOT renewable.
It's also closed for 2011 with no date announced for 2012 opening yet, so, not so quick at the moment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 25th September 2011, 10:08 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
AB-UK is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in canada.
Default

Thanks both of you - this would not be an immediate move anyway, I'm just gathering information as I'd like to make this a long term goal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canadian work permit expired, can my Canadian employer continue to pay me in Canada? Carolyn1988 America Expat Forum for Expats Living in America 1 28th February 2011 01:16 AM
Canadian Work Experience Yaf Canada Expat Forum for Expats Living in Canada 0 5th February 2011 11:07 PM
Canadian work permit expired, can my Canadian employer continue to pay me in Canada? Carolyn1988 Canada Expat Forum for Expats Living in Canada 1 20th January 2011 05:56 PM
Canadian looking for work in Thailand. Matthewm Thailand Expat Forum for Expats Living in Thailand 3 27th August 2010 09:13 PM
Canadian Student Looking for work. kong_jr. Thailand Expat Forum for Expats Living in Thailand 4 14th June 2008 10:20 PM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.
FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO