Teaching in British Columbia

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > North America > Canada Expat Forum for Expats Living in Canada

Canada Expat Forum for Expats Living in Canada The Canada Expats forum is a great place to meet other Expats now living in Canada. Join our Expat community and discuss all issues including living, working, kids, transportation, socialising, eating and buying houses in Canada.

Teaching in British Columbia


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 5th November 2008, 10:12 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brighton in the UK
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
Richard Crew is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in canada.
Default Teaching in British Columbia

Hi ya all...

Ive just found this website and this will be my first use and hopefully interaction of a Blog!

I am serving my fifth year as a PE teacher on a school in the south coast of England. I am living in Brighton yet i am aiming to move to BC next August 2009. I have heard some conflicting reports of finding a teaching job in Canada. My question is:

1. Will my B.A (hons) and PGCE in Physical Education and 5 years teaching experience in a 11-18 Sports Colege give me the credentials and the opportunity to do supply work.


Please could you help me on this one..

Many Thanks

Richard

Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 13th November 2008, 12:43 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
Robyn is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in canada.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crew View Post
Hi ya all...

Ive just found this website and this will be my first use and hopefully interaction of a Blog!

I am serving my fifth year as a PE teacher on a school in the south coast of England. I am living in Brighton yet i am aiming to move to BC next August 2009. I have heard some conflicting reports of finding a teaching job in Canada. My question is:

1. Will my B.A (hons) and PGCE in Physical Education and 5 years teaching experience in a 11-18 Sports Colege give me the credentials and the opportunity to do supply work.


Please could you help me on this one..

Many Thanks

Richard
Hi Richard,

I am not a teacher, but I am quite familiar with the system. While you likely have all the required background education and practical experience, what you won't have is a teaching certificate issued by the BC College of Teachers. This is necessary if you wish to teach public school anywhere in BC. That's the unfortunate reality, regardless of how successful a teacher you were in another country or even in another Canadian province!

The BC Teacher's Federation website will have all the information. I would definitely contact them and they should be able to tell you how much of your previous education/experience qualifies and what else you must do in order to acquire your BC teaching certificate. Here's a copy and paste from their website (as unfortunately I'm not permitted to post links on this forum just yet!):


Teacher Certification

To teach in a public school in B.C., you will need a teaching certificate issued by the B.C. College of Teachers. The College of Teachers establishes standards for the education of teachers in public schools, issues teaching certificates, conducts certificate reviews and, where necessary, suspends or cancels certificates.

Please contact the College of Teachers directly if you have any questions.
B.C. College of Teachers
#400-2025 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC
V6J 1Z6 Tel: 604-731-8170 or 1-800-555-3684
Fax: 604-731-9142

Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 13th December 2008, 05:10 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brighton in the UK
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
Richard Crew is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in canada.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
Hi Richard,

I am not a teacher, but I am quite familiar with the system. While you likely have all the required background education and practical experience, what you won't have is a teaching certificate issued by the BC College of Teachers. This is necessary if you wish to teach public school anywhere in BC. That's the unfortunate reality, regardless of how successful a teacher you were in another country or even in another Canadian province!

The BC Teacher's Federation website will have all the information. I would definitely contact them and they should be able to tell you how much of your previous education/experience qualifies and what else you must do in order to acquire your BC teaching certificate. Here's a copy and paste from their website (as unfortunately I'm not permitted to post links on this forum just yet!):


Teacher Certification

To teach in a public school in B.C., you will need a teaching certificate issued by the B.C. College of Teachers. The College of Teachers establishes standards for the education of teachers in public schools, issues teaching certificates, conducts certificate reviews and, where necessary, suspends or cancels certificates.

Please contact the College of Teachers directly if you have any questions.
B.C. College of Teachers
#400-2025 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC
V6J 1Z6 Tel: 604-731-8170 or 1-800-555-3684
Fax: 604-731-9142

Why thank you for your reponse and help on this matter. I will have a look on their webiste and im sure there will be a letter or application form to do.. i really do appreciate the advice and i do hope that coming over to BC will be well worth the anticipation that i have mustered up..

again thanks..

Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 19th December 2008, 11:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 69
Rep Power: 0
miraculousmedal is on a distinguished road
6 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from taiwan. Users Flag! Expat in canada.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crew View Post
Why thank you for your reponse and help on this matter. I will have a look on their webiste and im sure there will be a letter or application form to do.. i really do appreciate the advice and i do hope that coming over to BC will be well worth the anticipation that i have mustered up..

again thanks..
Hello Richard,

I was a Math/Science teacher for 4 years here in Taiwan for an international school. Hence, tried to search for available teaching jobs in Canada. I found many PE available teaching positions but not Biology or Chemistry. LOL! Here's the site: Teaching jobs in Canada - powered by Education Canada Network

Goodluck!

Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking a Cat to British Columbia shanethompson Canada Expat Forum for Expats Living in Canada 3 21st June 2011 09:28 PM
British Columbia accounting Civic89 Canada Expat Forum for Expats Living in Canada 7 19th April 2011 06:29 PM
PNP to British Columbia Charley Rachael Canada Expat Forum for Expats Living in Canada 0 26th August 2010 09:49 PM
Moving to British Columbia eoinharry Canada Expat Forum for Expats Living in Canada 7 17th February 2010 08:21 PM
Help - Ontario or British Columbia ??? m field Canada Expat Forum for Expats Living in Canada 15 11th February 2010 02:16 AM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.
FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO