Very Nervous New Wife Applying for Visa

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK

Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK The Britain Expats forum is a community of people that have moved to the UK from overseas. This is the place for Expats to meet and discuss anything about the British way of life.

Very Nervous New Wife Applying for Visa


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 4th October 2011, 04:34 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
messyjessi01 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in england.
Default Very Nervous New Wife Applying for Visa

My husband (a British citizen) and I (a US citizen)married in mid-September in the UK, it was a spur of the moment decision because we were having so many problems with the wedding that we just decided to elope. I was there just on a general six month visa, but the register office let us marry and made no questions about visas. I am now back in the States, and am applying for a settlement visa. A few questions:

1. I don't have originals of his passport, payslips, tenancy agreement, etc. But, I do have color scans of them. Would this be acceptable? I do have the original of the marriage certificate.

2. Is the fact the we married in the UK on a general visa going to hurt us?

3. How long does it take to get the documents back if I get the priority service?

I am very nervous, and I am tried of being away from him all the time. We are 22 (me) and 23 (him) respectively. He is an aeronautical engineer with the MoD and I am a recent college (university) graduate with 2 Bachelor's Degrees and an Associate's Degree who has worked steadily since 16. Any advice would be great. Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 4th October 2011, 05:00 PM
Joppa's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sunny Lancashire
Posts: 20,910
Rep Power: 9816
Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute
3269 likes received
188 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in uk.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by messyjessi01 View Post
My husband (a British citizen) and I (a US citizen)married in mid-September in the UK, it was a spur of the moment decision because we were having so many problems with the wedding that we just decided to elope. I was there just on a general six month visa, but the register office let us marry and made no questions about visas. I am now back in the States, and am applying for a settlement visa. A few questions:

1. I don't have originals of his passport, payslips, tenancy agreement, etc. But, I do have color scans of them. Would this be acceptable? I do have the original of the marriage certificate.
You still need original payslips. Copy of his passport is fine.

Quote:
2. Is the fact the we married in the UK on a general visa going to hurt us?
Well, UKBA may question you on this, as normally you should have got marriage visitor visa. You may have to explain why the sudden change of plan in the statement you provide, or in 'any other information' section of application.

Quote:
3. How long does it take to get the documents back if I get the priority service?
Usually within a week.

Quote:
I am very nervous, and I am tried of being away from him all the time. We are 22 (me) and 23 (him) respectively. He is an aeronautical engineer with the MoD and I am a recent college (university) graduate with 2 Bachelor's Degrees and an Associate's Degree who has worked steadily since 16. Any advice would be great. Thank you!
The fact your husband is in steady employment in the government service is good, as is your earning potential in UK. Enclose your resume and indicate the kind of jobs you can go for in UK, and enclose a job advert or two.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 5th October 2011, 02:57 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
messyjessi01 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in england.
Default

Thanks you so much for your help! It is greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
documents, settlement

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Applying for PR, wife pregnant, Need Suggestion ujwols Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 5 4th July 2011 08:38 AM
US visa denial decided for UK visa for my wife! gold leaf Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 9 27th February 2011 07:51 PM
Applying for Teir1, 2, 5 visa while on Visitor's visa? flasher702 Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 13 15th May 2010 06:46 AM
Applying for UK Tier 1 Visa and Australian 175 Visa rackspace Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 3 5th April 2010 06:00 PM
MBA after applying 175 visa aussieland Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 3 13th December 2009 06:03 AM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.
FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO