Questions about tourist visa for a green card holder, do I have a chance?

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK

Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK The Britain Expats forum is a community of people that have moved to the UK from overseas. This is the place for Expats to meet and discuss anything about the British way of life.

Questions about tourist visa for a green card holder, do I have a chance?


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 29th March 2012, 02:43 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 0
emimc is on a distinguished road
1 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from thailand. Users Flag! Expat in usa.
Default Questions about tourist visa for a green card holder, do I have a chance?

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I'm so glad I found this place. I'm applying for a tourist visa for my honeymoon trip to UK and will be flying with my US citizen husband. We're planning to spend 5 days in London before flying to the next destination, Amsterdam. My US citizen husband won't need a visa for this but I'm a green card holder with Thai citizenship, so I still need to get a visa.

A little background about me, I work part time as a waitress for about 20 hours a week and only make about $1,500 per month. I am mainly be supported by my husband who has his own accounting practice plus dividends from family business 4 times a year. We have several joint checking and savings accounts together. I don't know how much they usually want to see in order to consider issuing a short term visitor visa. So here's my list of documents I have sent.

• Visa application forms and Receipt from Biometrics appointment
• Thai Passport with a copy
• Original US Permanent Resident Green Card with a notarized copy
• Original marriage certificate with a copy
• Trip itinerary with details of places I am planning to visit
(I included not just the details for UK, but also details about the whole trip 9 cities 7 countries for 28 days)
• Copy of plane and train tickets for each destinations for entire trip (all booked and paid for)
• Copy of hotel bookings for the entire trip
• Letter of employment for my part time job
• Copy of joint bank statements with my husband (approximately $60,000 in both checking and savings)
• Letter of financial support from my husband saying he would responsible for all expenses in this trip
• Copy of my husband’s personal business bank statements and business registration documents
• Copy of my husband’s passport and most recent filed tax return
• Copy of my husband’s family business stock certificates evidencing his ownership in the company
• Statements from my husband’s retirement investment accounts ($ 60,000 approximately)
• Copy of mortgage statements and primary residence appraisal (currently $100,000 in equity)

I know that UKBA suggested not paying for the ticket until the visa is issued. However, I had to apply for Schengen visa earlier and they required to see the evidence of a purchased plane tickets for the whole trip and since UK will be my first stop, I had no choice but to book the ticket.

How difficult is it to get a tourist visa and how long should it take to get it? Are my supporting documents are strong enough? Also I have specified the date I intend to arrive in UK (May 11th, 2012), do they normally grant you an entry on the exact date you specify on the application? I just want to make sure they will not grant my entry later than May 11th since the plane ticket is already booked.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 29th March 2012, 03:00 AM
Joppa's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sunny Lancashire
Posts: 20,551
Rep Power: 9795
Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute
3196 likes received
188 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in uk.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emimc View Post
Hi everyone! I'm new here. I'm so glad I found this place. I'm applying for a tourist visa for my honeymoon trip to UK and will be flying with my US citizen husband. We're planning to spend 5 days in London before flying to the next destination, Amsterdam. My US citizen husband won't need a visa for this but I'm a green card holder with Thai citizenship, so I still need to get a visa.

A little background about me, I work part time as a waitress for about 20 hours a week and only make about $1,500 per month. I am mainly be supported by my husband who has his own accounting practice plus dividends from family business 4 times a year. We have several joint checking and savings accounts together. I don't know how much they usually want to see in order to consider issuing a short term visitor visa. So here's my list of documents I have sent.

• Visa application forms and Receipt from Biometrics appointment
• Thai Passport with a copy
• Original US Permanent Resident Green Card with a notarized copy
• Original marriage certificate with a copy
• Trip itinerary with details of places I am planning to visit
(I included not just the details for UK, but also details about the whole trip 9 cities 7 countries for 28 days)
• Copy of plane and train tickets for each destinations for entire trip (all booked and paid for)
• Copy of hotel bookings for the entire trip
• Letter of employment for my part time job
• Copy of joint bank statements with my husband (approximately $60,000 in both checking and savings)
• Letter of financial support from my husband saying he would responsible for all expenses in this trip
• Copy of my husband’s personal business bank statements and business registration documents
• Copy of my husband’s passport and most recent filed tax return
• Copy of my husband’s family business stock certificates evidencing his ownership in the company
• Statements from my husband’s retirement investment accounts ($ 60,000 approximately)
• Copy of mortgage statements and primary residence appraisal (currently $100,000 in equity)

I know that UKBA suggested not paying for the ticket until the visa is issued. However, I had to apply for Schengen visa earlier and they required to see the evidence of a purchased plane tickets for the whole trip and since UK will be my first stop, I had no choice but to book the ticket.

How difficult is it to get a tourist visa and how long should it take to get it? Are my supporting documents are strong enough? Also I have specified the date I intend to arrive in UK (May 11th, 2012), do they normally grant you an entry on the exact date you specify on the application? I just want to make sure they will not grant my entry later than May 11th since the plane ticket is already booked.
With your details, you have little to worry about. Your supporting documents are more than adequate. I would be very surprised if they didn't issue you a visitor visa promptly. Current processing time is 4 days.
If you put 11th May as your date of travel, that will be the start date of your visa or 'valid from' date. I'd put 10th May to be safe. If your Schengen visa is already in your passport, as you seem to imply, then that will help your application.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 29th March 2012, 03:21 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 0
emimc is on a distinguished road
1 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from thailand. Users Flag! Expat in usa.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppa View Post
With your details, you have little to worry about. Your supporting documents are more than adequate. I would be very surprised if they didn't issue you a visitor visa promptly. Current processing time is 4 days.
If you put 11th May as your date of travel, that will be the start date of your visa or 'valid from' date. I'd put 10th May to be safe. If your Schengen visa is already in your passport, as you seem to imply, then that will help your application.
Thank you so much Joppa! I already submitted my application with the date of May 11th as my travel date though. I thought about putting May 10th but my plane ticket indicates my arrival date to London on May 11th, so I was worried that putting May 10th on the application might create conflicts, so I kept it that way.. hopefully it is ok. And yes I do have my brand new Schengen visa in my passport granted my visit to Schengen area from May 10th - June 20th, 2012

UKBA sent me an email last Friday stating that they have received my package and it was in preparation for consideration by the officer. They said I would get another email once my package reaches the reviewing process by officer .. haven't heard anything from them since then. How long should I wait before start contacting them for application status?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 29th March 2012, 07:34 AM
Joppa's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sunny Lancashire
Posts: 20,551
Rep Power: 9795
Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute
3196 likes received
188 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in uk.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emimc View Post
Thank you so much Joppa! I already submitted my application with the date of May 11th as my travel date though. I thought about putting May 10th but my plane ticket indicates my arrival date to London on May 11th, so I was worried that putting May 10th on the application might create conflicts, so I kept it that way.. hopefully it is ok. And yes I do have my brand new Schengen visa in my passport granted my visit to Schengen area from May 10th - June 20th, 2012

UKBA sent me an email last Friday stating that they have received my package and it was in preparation for consideration by the officer. They said I would get another email once my package reaches the reviewing process by officer .. haven't heard anything from them since then. How long should I wait before start contacting them for application status?
You can't until weeks later but you should hear from them a lot sooner than that, maybe by the end of this week.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 31st March 2012, 04:10 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 0
emimc is on a distinguished road
1 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from thailand. Users Flag! Expat in usa.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppa View Post
You can't until weeks later but you should hear from them a lot sooner than that, maybe by the end of this week.
Thank you Joppa. You're absolutely right. I got my visa in the mail today. Thanks again, I really appreciate your help!

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Green card holder trying to get spouse into US rattiegyal America Expat Forum for Expats Living in America 15 13th April 2013 07:00 PM
New Green Card Holder offdhore income Tax Question rtho100 America Expat Forum for Expats Living in America 4 16th August 2011 10:34 AM
Do I have a chance to Green card nalinpr America Expat Forum for Expats Living in America 2 28th May 2010 02:04 PM
Green Card holder living between UK/US mfowler America Expat Forum for Expats Living in America 11 30th March 2010 11:07 PM
H1B/Green Card questions grifforama America Expat Forum for Expats Living in America 3 17th March 2008 01:55 AM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.
FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO