Child Vaccination/Immunization Requirement in Australia

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Australasia > Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia

Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia Have you moved to Australia from another country? Are you thinking about making Australia your new home? Want to meet others like you and discuss immigration, property, sport, socialising, food, cars, insurance, laws, taxes and anything related to Australia?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By anj1976

Child Vaccination/Immunization Requirement in Australia


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12th September 2011, 04:41 PM
Hassan_Warraich's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Perth,Australia
Posts: 763
Rep Power: 103
Hassan_Warraich has a spectacular aura aboutHassan_Warraich has a spectacular aura about
67 likes received
68 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from pakistan. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default Child Vaccination/Immunization Requirement in Australia

Dear Members;

We are planning to move to Western Australia next year.As,I have been blessed by a son,who is now one year old,and we have got him vaccinated as per the schehule provided to us by the hospital as prescribed by the Government of Pakistan(might be as per WHO Guidelines) -and his vaccination is still underway.

I have a question in this regard,whether their is any special requirement of Australian Medical Authorities(Medicare) for child immunization or they just rely on the vaccination record/card we will provide to them from Pakistan( as mentioned above) and they will take it as granted-I don't think so!

Furthermore,if the vaccination of newly arrived child is not as per the Aussie requirements,what will they do?I mean to say ,if any typical vaccine were missing ,what will be the implications?

Please share your experiences and guidelines for us to avoid any hassle in future whatsoever.

In addition, is there any special requirement of immunization for newly arrived adult migrants or any relevant document required by Medicare /any such authority for them to check/ensure whether the migrant is immunized or not?

My apologies for the afore-mentioned pandora box of queries!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Hassan Warraich

__________________
|Online : 24-AUG-2009|Accountant|Grant : 08-AUG-11|Arrived Perth : 01-JUN-2012|Accountant Job : 22-MAR-2013|

Last edited by Hassan_Warraich; 12th September 2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Spellings and some additions
Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12th September 2011, 08:30 PM
kaz101's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Limestone Coast, South Australia
Posts: 6,253
Rep Power: 5919
kaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond reputekaz101 has a reputation beyond repute
308 likes received
23 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Hi,

This link goes to the current immunisation schedule for children:
Current Immunisation Schedule - Medicare Australia

Sorry I can't help with your other questions but maybe the answers are on that same website.

Cheers,
Karen

__________________
"Don't worry if you're making waves simply by being yourself. The moon does it all the time" ~ Scott Stabile
Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 13th September 2011, 01:36 AM
anj1976's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,387
Rep Power: 4226
anj1976 has a reputation beyond reputeanj1976 has a reputation beyond reputeanj1976 has a reputation beyond reputeanj1976 has a reputation beyond reputeanj1976 has a reputation beyond reputeanj1976 has a reputation beyond reputeanj1976 has a reputation beyond reputeanj1976 has a reputation beyond reputeanj1976 has a reputation beyond reputeanj1976 has a reputation beyond reputeanj1976 has a reputation beyond repute
905 likes received
416 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Hi Hassan

we got all vaccines for my daughter, they were as per WHO standards. we got the imported ones for her and not the indian ones. anyways, once we reached i showed the record to the nurse at the hospital, they were a little confused with the names as the doctor had just written names of teh vaccine given. we had a card wehre the name and the type was clearly mentioned, they checked the record and said she needs 4 vaccines. Hep B, whooping cough and another something i can not recall. at the royal children hospital they gave her whooping cough and hep b vaccine there and then. we were given a shot of whooping cough as well (husband and I) (suggested but not mandatory, i would suggest you get it when you are here). i checked the city council website for next vaccine camp, it was 2 days before her next Hep B was due. they gave her one Hep b and another one that according to them was missing. her next vaccine now is in November after that she will be up to date as per AU standards.

i suggest oyu check the vaccine schedule, if there is time for you to come, try and get those vaccines there form the doc or atleast show the schedule to the doc so that he can mark which ones have been given and which are pending and suggest if he can take them now or not. that way it is easier for you adn the child ina new country.

when you are here try going to the children hospital or the council nearest to you or perhaps a mother and child clinic, meet the nurse (it is by appointment only). she will do a complete checkup of the child and suggest what you should do. here they have Blue book for babies, given at the time of birth to each child, for that i called the council, the hospital, the pediatrician, no one had a clue about the same. i have an appointment with the nurse on 19th, she said they will help with the blue book for the baby. the same is essential during child care admission, kindergarten and school admission. centrelink does not give you the childcare benefit if you do not have the vaccines in order.

let me know if there is anything more that you need to know.
sunita.sanjaykumar likes this.

__________________
ACS assessment : May 2008. Visa Application VE 175 : September 2008. State Sponsorship : September 2009. CO Allocated : 17th November 2010. Medicals and PCC submitted : 13th December 2010. Medicals for my Daughter : 22nd December 2010. All Documents Met : 31st December 2010 (except for meds for my daughter)

VISA GRANT 27th January 2011

Reached MELBOURNE on 16th June
Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 13th September 2011, 04:08 AM
Hassan_Warraich's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Perth,Australia
Posts: 763
Rep Power: 103
Hassan_Warraich has a spectacular aura aboutHassan_Warraich has a spectacular aura about
67 likes received
68 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from pakistan. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Dear Both ;

Thanks for this great help.

Regards,

Hassan

__________________
|Online : 24-AUG-2009|Accountant|Grant : 08-AUG-11|Arrived Perth : 01-JUN-2012|Accountant Job : 22-MAR-2013|
Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 13th September 2011, 05:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toowoomba
Posts: 91
Rep Power: 116
cross has a reputation beyond reputecross has a reputation beyond reputecross has a reputation beyond reputecross has a reputation beyond reputecross has a reputation beyond reputecross has a reputation beyond reputecross has a reputation beyond reputecross has a reputation beyond reputecross has a reputation beyond reputecross has a reputation beyond reputecross has a reputation beyond repute
10 likes received
1 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan_Warraich View Post
Dear Members;

We are planning to move to Western Australia next year.As,I have been blessed by a son,who is now one year old,and we have got him vaccinated as per the schehule provided to us by the hospital as prescribed by the Government of Pakistan(might be as per WHO Guidelines) -and his vaccination is still underway.

I have a question in this regard,whether their is any special requirement of Australian Medical Authorities(Medicare) for child immunization or they just rely on the vaccination record/card we will provide to them from Pakistan( as mentioned above) and they will take it as granted-I don't think so!

Furthermore,if the vaccination of newly arrived child is not as per the Aussie requirements,what will they do?I mean to say ,if any typical vaccine were missing ,what will be the implications?

Please share your experiences and guidelines for us to avoid any hassle in future whatsoever.

In addition, is there any special requirement of immunization for newly arrived adult migrants or any relevant document required by Medicare /any such authority for them to check/ensure whether the migrant is immunized or not?

My apologies for the afore-mentioned pandora box of queries!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Hassan Warraich
Dear Hassan,

Here is my experience.

We have come here with a 10 month old baby boy who had his vaccinations done as per the Indian schedule and we had his record with us. It was just a simple with the immunization schedule along with the dates on which they were given.

Upon checking the Australian schedule, I found that the vaccinations follow a different timeline and took my kid to our GP along with his record. There were a couple of vaccinations which should have been given to him as per the Australian schedule. The practice has mailed the details to Medicare and upon their advice, he has been given all the vaccinations recommended for his age.

We have recently received a letter as a proof of record from Medicare with ALL (including the ones that were given in India) the vaccinations that were given to him till date. Apparently the nurse has mailed all the details to Medicare .

The letter that we received from Medicare will sent every time a vaccination is due for the child or upon request. It will be mentioned on the letter that the child is up-to-date with all the vaccinations. This can be shown as a proof of record wherever required.

Hope this helps.

Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 13th September 2011, 08:29 AM
Hassan_Warraich's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Perth,Australia
Posts: 763
Rep Power: 103
Hassan_Warraich has a spectacular aura aboutHassan_Warraich has a spectacular aura about
67 likes received
68 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from pakistan. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross View Post
Dear Hassan,

Here is my experience.

We have come here with a 10 month old baby boy who had his vaccinations done as per the Indian schedule and we had his record with us. It was just a simple with the immunization schedule along with the dates on which they were given.

Upon checking the Australian schedule, I found that the vaccinations follow a different timeline and took my kid to our GP along with his record. There were a couple of vaccinations which should have been given to him as per the Australian schedule. The practice has mailed the details to Medicare and upon their advice, he has been given all the vaccinations recommended for his age.

We have recently received a letter as a proof of record from Medicare with ALL (including the ones that were given in India) the vaccinations that were given to him till date. Apparently the nurse has mailed all the details to Medicare .

The letter that we received from Medicare will sent every time a vaccination is due for the child or upon request. It will be mentioned on the letter that the child is up-to-date with all the vaccinations. This can be shown as a proof of record wherever required.

Hope this helps.

Dear Cross;

Yes,it would definitely help !

From your post,I assess that if any vaccination were missing, they(Medicare) would provide the same to the child so as to meet the australian vaccination requirement.Is it true? Would we be better off if we were to follow the Australian Vaccination requirements right here from Pakistan and get our son vaccinated for those missing vaccines or come to australia and let aussie's decide about the missing ones and afterward vaccinations?

In addition to that is there any special format in which the Vaccination record should be ?As we are from Pakistan,and the vaccination card is in urdu language,would it need to be translated in english? Furthermore what about its ceritification after translation in english ?

Thanks

Hassan

__________________
|Online : 24-AUG-2009|Accountant|Grant : 08-AUG-11|Arrived Perth : 01-JUN-2012|Accountant Job : 22-MAR-2013|
Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 13th September 2011, 08:49 AM
anj1976's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,387
Rep Power: 4226
anj1976 has a reputation beyond reputeanj1976 has a reputation beyond reputeanj1976 has a reputation beyond reputeanj1976 has a reputation beyond reputeanj1976 has a reputation beyond reputeanj1976 has a reputation beyond reputeanj1976 has a reputation beyond reputeanj1976 has a reputation beyond reputeanj1976 has a reputation beyond reputeanj1976 has a reputation beyond reputeanj1976 has a reputation beyond repute
905 likes received
416 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

yes it is best to get it translated. getting it done here will be difficult and expensive. get it in english plus if you can follow PK as well as Au standard it will be good. there are a few vaccines that the child can take at a certain age to get its benefit. and if there is anything that is missing they will give it anyways.

just get it in writing from the doctor what is given when in english and you will do fine

__________________
ACS assessment : May 2008. Visa Application VE 175 : September 2008. State Sponsorship : September 2009. CO Allocated : 17th November 2010. Medicals and PCC submitted : 13th December 2010. Medicals for my Daughter : 22nd December 2010. All Documents Met : 31st December 2010 (except for meds for my daughter)

VISA GRANT 27th January 2011

Reached MELBOURNE on 16th June
Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 14th September 2011, 05:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toowoomba
Posts: 91
Rep Power: 116
cross has a reputation beyond reputecross has a reputation beyond reputecross has a reputation beyond reputecross has a reputation beyond reputecross has a reputation beyond reputecross has a reputation beyond reputecross has a reputation beyond reputecross has a reputation beyond reputecross has a reputation beyond reputecross has a reputation beyond reputecross has a reputation beyond repute
10 likes received
1 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from india. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan_Warraich View Post
Dear Cross;

Yes,it would definitely help !

From your post,I assess that if any vaccination were missing, they(Medicare) would provide the same to the child so as to meet the australian vaccination requirement.Is it true? Would we be better off if we were to follow the Australian Vaccination requirements right here from Pakistan and get our son vaccinated for those missing vaccines or come to australia and let aussie's decide about the missing ones and afterward vaccinations?

In addition to that is there any special format in which the Vaccination record should be ?As we are from Pakistan,and the vaccination card is in urdu language,would it need to be translated in english? Furthermore what about its ceritification after translation in english ?

Thanks

Hassan
I would suggest that you continue with the Pakistani schedule till you land here. Let me quote an example. Some vaccinations recommended for 2 years of age as per Indian schedule would be recommended at 18 months of age. There are few additions/ deletions owing to the demographics.

And yes, you would need to get an english version. You could probably explain to the doctor and get it done by him/ her.

Format - list of immunizations at specific milestones (age), actual date when it has been given to the kid. As simple as that. Thanks!

Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 14th September 2011, 05:35 AM
Hassan_Warraich's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Perth,Australia
Posts: 763
Rep Power: 103
Hassan_Warraich has a spectacular aura aboutHassan_Warraich has a spectacular aura about
67 likes received
68 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from pakistan. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross View Post
I would suggest that you continue with the Pakistani schedule till you land here. Let me quote an example. Some vaccinations recommended for 2 years of age as per Indian schedule would be recommended at 18 months of age. There are few additions/ deletions owing to the demographics.

And yes, you would need to get an english version. You could probably explain to the doctor and get it done by him/ her.

Format - list of immunizations at specific milestones (age), actual date when it has been given to the kid. As simple as that. Thanks!
Dear Cross;

Thanks

Regards,

Hassan

__________________
|Online : 24-AUG-2009|Accountant|Grant : 08-AUG-11|Arrived Perth : 01-JUN-2012|Accountant Job : 22-MAR-2013|
Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Requirement for skill assessment with Engineers Australia Adephagous Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 10 26th July 2014 12:42 PM
Confusion regarding IELTS requirement in South Australia fawad85 Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 1 26th July 2011 03:36 PM
Child Immunization hasmelt Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 6 11th April 2011 07:07 AM
Swine Flu vaccination in Australia Faisal Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 1 7th February 2010 07:48 PM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.
FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO