Originally Posted by hutais
Wow I didnt know you could pay $50 and have it processed faster? What state are you in?
Here in NY State you HAVE to have a NY State Licence after 3 months. You have to go through the whole process of driving tests etc. I have done it all. I know different states work differently however.
Can you tell me the form your wife used as I cannot find anything on the USCIS website. I need to do this for my next one if possible!!
1. I was wrong, you cant have premium processing for the Work Authorization but you can fill out form G-1145 so you get notifications via email. Sorry about the misinformation. She received her work authorization in 2-3 weeks anyway.
2. As for the Driver's license: I am in California and I was able to get a friend to mail me my international driver license from Melbourne so I wasnt in a rush else below is the process but I think one can get it quite quickly.
- Get Work Auth - else you cant get SSN - took us 3 weeks max. - 3 weeks
- Get SSN - took my wife less than a week to get one in mail after the interview. - 1 week
- Apply for learner and you can book for the perm license the same day, I got my perm license within 7 days of getting learner permit. - 10 days including learner + perm
Overall you can be done in 5 weeks , the only problem is that sometimes one needs to wait for SSN as the systems arent updated in real time so they wait for your arrival record from the immigration.
sorry for the confusion, I am applying for the change of employer these days and too many forms/sections/processes are in my head