Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Right to work on EEA permit

10K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  SAMie 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Does anyone know if there's a way to prove that you have a right to work on an EEA family permit? Particularly before submitting the application for a residence card?

I have read on UKBA home office site that a residence card is not actually necessary but it may be hard to prove that the non-EEA family member has the right to work without it. Is there anyway to provide proof that they can?

Thanks

#2 ·
Hi,

Does anyone know if there's a way to prove that you have a right to work on an EEA family permit? Particularly before submitting the application for a residence card?

I have read on UKBA home office site that a residence card is not actually necessary but it may be hard to prove that the non-EEA family member has the right to work without it. Is there anyway to provide proof that they can?
If you apply for your residence card, you will receive a certificate of application usually within a few weeks. The certificate normally contains a clause authorising you to work under EU rules, if you meet certain conditions. The chief ones are you are a spouse or civil partner and you have submitted sufficient proof of your relationship to the EEA citizen, such as marriage certificate. If you are an unmarried partner, for example, they cannot give you authorisation to work until they have processed your application and confirmed your eligibility by issuing you with a residence card, but this can take 3-4 months on average.

You aren't obliged to have your residence card under EU law, but if you don't, you'll have difficulty proving your right to live in UK and your eligibility for work.

#3 ·
Thanks Joppa.
This is what I feared. My husband needs his passport to travel for work and his EEA permit validity is about to end so we're going to get a new EEA permit and then apply for the residency card right away so he'll not have any problem in the coming months at border control. The problem is that there will be about a 14 days gap between his old EEA permit and his new EEA permit and we don't know how to provide proof to his employer that he's eligible to work during the gap.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.