First am so glad to have found find this site. It is the most current and helpful I have found. As the laws have recently changed I am having difficulty finding current details and knowing of the process now...so am in great gratitude for this site!!! big smile
I know very little French, am an intent on studying before I go and while there...my friend knows some from studying for two years. We both intend to speak the language...it may take me a little longer.
We are applying for long term visitor visas. We are two friends wanting to experience France for a year, possibly longer. We are 53 and 64 respectively each have individual monthly income that supports each of us. I have about $2800/month plus savings of about $5000 and my friend has $1800/month as well as being shown joint on her mother's investment accounts.
We are getting ready for our Visa appointment at the French Consulate and I have some questions:
1. We have passports that fit the requirement and wanted to know if we needed certified birth certificates?
2. The Recent Police Report of No Criminal Activity - is there a time frame for this e.g. 1 yr, 10 yrs, etc. ? Is it national? local? statewide? I called our local police department and they explained there are different types of reports, county wide, state wide and federal. I lived in New Mexico for 6 years then moved to Norman Oklahoma for two years for a project and then back to New Mexico for the the last year and a quarter. I can get the reports for that entire time and longer if need be. What is the consulate wanting?
3. For a visa appointment do we need confirmation of housing, medical insurance and tickets? Our visa appt is 3/24/10 and we are not planning to travel over to France until mid-May. We live 1200 miles from the Consulate so would like to have all in right order so that we do need to go back.
4. Financial Means - I receive $3400/month and about $5000 savings and my friend has $1800/month as well as being shown joint on her mother's investment accounts (about 100K). We will be releasing our housing costs here, renting the home, so those funds that were used for that will be freed up. How does the French Consulate evaluate and decide if you have enough funds to care for yourself?
5. From what I have read on the OFII, it appears the medicalevaluation happens once you reach France, is that correct? Or is it best to get a medical review prior to going to the Visa appt?
6. It states on the OFII sight that visitors (foreigners who are not actively employed or foreigners engaged in a professional activity not subject to professional authorization, such as translators, architects, solicitors, etc.) with sufficent means of support who agree not to engage in any professional activity requiring authorization can receive a temporary resident permit.
questions about this:
1. what professional activities are not subject to professional authorization
2. We are volunteers of a U.S. non profit organization religious organization in the U.S. While in France we will be using Skype and internet conference calling to hold meetings and conferences out of France. We will be facilitating workshops (a day, a weekend) in several places in the EU, Italy, Spain, Germany, France. This may be 4 to 10 events in a year. Can we do this in France? Does this qualify under not requiring authorization as stated by the OFII above?
We are also writers, and song writers and will be working on that while we are there....
a. In the Visa info it says to provide a Letter promising not to engage in any
paid activity while in France .....how does this fit in with what I have written?
2. Regarding instances where currency is given for the event we will be maintaining U.S. bank accounts....and/or can set up France accounts....which is the best way to receive funds? We both currently hold our personal accounts at at a bank in the U.S. that is owned by a French Bank...PNP Paribas. We have been told by the V.P. that they will give us a letter of recommendation to open an account if that is what is best.
3. If at some point during our stay in France we would like to open division of this U.S. based non-profit, is that possible? It is also quite possible that we will not stay the full year....we just don't know.
4. Should we consider filing our visa differently then as a long term Visitor visa.
This is enough for now. I thank you so much in advance for any help you give us.