New open work permit launched in Canada

by Ray Clancy on December 24, 2012

New open work permit launched in Canada

A new open work permit has been introduced in Canada that enables certain economic class applicants to maintain their status and continue working in the country while they wait for a final decision on their permanent residence application.  This will make the country’s immigration system faster and more flexible and cut red tape for the skilled immigrants Canada’s economy needs to grow and thrive, according to Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney.

‘The new Bridging Open Work Permit provides those who are transitioning to permanent residency with better opportunities to integrate into Canada’s labour market to the benefit of our economy and all Canadians,’ he said. The bridging work permit is available immediately and is valid for one year from the date of issuance. Qualifying foreign nationals who have submitted an application for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), Canadian Experience Class (CEC), Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) or the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) may be considered for an open work permit. Applicants must already be in Canada on a valid work permit that is about to expire and must have received confirmation from CIC that their permanent resident application is eligible.

Previously, applicants who were awaiting a decision on their permanent residence application could find their temporary work permits expiring before their application was processed. As a result, these individuals would no longer have been authorised to work in Canada unless their employer applied for and received a Labour Market Opinion from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) and the applicant then applied for an extension of status.  Open work permits are already available for other in Canada immigration streams, such as live-in caregivers, spouses or common law partners. Kenney said that this improvement will result in consistent treatment for other applicants already in Canada.

Quote from : “What possibilities are there of temporary work in Canada? As the title implies anything between 2-5 years. From what I have read it’s all dependent on having a job offer from a Canadian employer and sponsorship correct? From what I have also read only UK citizens are eligible for the Working Holiday Visa program? (Note I’m not eligible for UK nationality as a student visa doesn’t count toward 5 years).”

‘We are preventing unnecessary disruption in the lives of the newcomers who are already contributing and successfully integrating into the Canadian economy,’ he explained, ‘Improvements to our immigration system like this will help Canada attract the best and brightest from around the world, the skilled immigrants we need to fill our skilled labour shortages’.

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

Kristina Ignacio March 12, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Hi. I have just heard rumors from my friends who have been there in Canada already that because of the surging applicants who wants to apply for work and Permanent residency, it is now so hard to apply for such and there will be no permanent residency acceptance (as they say) from those who are working as domestic helpers in Canada? They said, domestic helpers are only allowed to renew their contract after four years of working and so on and no more for permanent residency. Please i just want to verify this rumors. Thank you.


Jessica August 11, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Hi. I have the same question. Is it true that those live-in caregivers in Ontario who arrived after February 2011 cannot apply for permanent residency anymore if there is nothing on their work permit that says they are eligible to apply for residency. Thanks.


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: